Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women Drivers in some countries

• 13-12-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭

I would like to know if women are not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia for religious or cultural reason. If the former, could someone tell me about this law. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Would women driving in the majority of "muslim" countries not sort of answer your question as to whether it is a religious or cultural thing in Saudi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭mmalaka

cultural reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭donaghs

The Saudis will tell you its an Islamic thing. So I suppose its down to interpretation?

There's a lot of stuff on the web which gives good reasons, within the confines of Islam, for women not to drive cars. Here's one example:
    http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/45880

On the other hand, motor cars were only invented in the late 19th c., and I (personally) think all the reasons listed in the above link are at best silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

donaghs wrote: »
    On the other hand, motor cars were only invented in the late 19th c., and I (personally) think all the reasons listed in the above link are at best silly.

Silly? Comedic, I'd say.
    When women drive it leads to overcrowding in the streets, or it deprives some young men of the opportunity to drive cars when they are more deserving of that.
    It also leads to women going out of the house a great deal, but their homes are better for them – as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said – because those who love to drive enjoy it very much, hence you see them driving around in their cars here and there for no purpose, except to enjoy driving.
    You may find a divorced woman going where she wants, whenever she wants and however she wants, for whatever purpose she wants, because she is alone in her car, at any time she wants of the day or night
    It is a means of women rebelling against their families and husbands; at the least provocation they may go out of the house and drive in the car to wherever they think they can get some peace, as happens in the case of some young men, who are able to put up with more than women.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

Its because in Islamic countries women are not seen as being part of the human race and therefore are not aloud drive or work of anything

• Advertisement

Overature wrote: »
    Its because in Islamic countries women are not seen as being part of the human race and therefore are not aloud drive or work of anything

this is comedic :D

How did you know that??

it is totally wrong....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Now even though I am Mod of this forum I know very little about Islam (I am just here to help out) although I am learning but even I know this is plainly not true

Now either back up your statements with some facts or make sure you next contribution to this forum is a useful one or your stay wont be a long one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Banned for breaking charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

donaghs wrote: »
    There's a lot of stuff on the web which gives good reasons, within the confines of Islam, for women not to drive cars. Here's one example:
    http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/45880
    None of these are good reasons. I don't see anything in any of the verses quoted from the Qur'an that can be remotely used to justify banning women from driving. Some of the verses are taken out of context, e.g. al-Ahzaab 33:33. I would be very wary of the informaton on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

So what Islamic countries are you referring to again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 love for all

I would like to know if women are not allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia for religious or cultural reason. If the former, could someone tell me about this law. Thanks

in islam there is not any objection for driving as woman. but in saudi, that is there law not because of religion.

In Saudi it is not like this is written in the Law. I think outside big cities the women can drive.

It is just a cultural thing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭BlancheSparks

Thanks every one. It seems to be how I thought. An outdated attitude probably similar to the one that prevailed here until very recently, although it didn't get carried to such extremes.
    I can remember, when I was young (way back in the 60's:o ), and learning to drive, there was a widespread belief, based only on predudice, that 'women drivers' were an anathama (hope that's spelled right)
    It does make me angry, but I am trying to be objective and find out more, before I make judgements based on predudice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

Thanks every one. It seems to be how I thought. An outdated attitude probably similar to the one that prevailed here until very recently, although it didn't get carried to such extremes.
    I can remember, when I was young (way back in the 60's:o ), and learning to drive, there was a widespread belief, based only on predudice, that 'women drivers' were an anathama (hope that's spelled right)
    It does make me angry, but I am trying to be objective and find out more, before I make judgements based on predudice.

how is it different over here now?, its a good thing that women dont drive in saudi arabia, or else they would be getting the same abuse they do from male drivers over here (yes even today), a woman makes one mistake and people go mental with the honking LOL, even male learners dont get this sort of abuse....:rolleyes:

I Just managed to get to the website mentioned above.
    I agree with the comments about the reasons being the height of silliness except that it has such serious results in the restriction of human rights. As usual, unreasonable and predujiced people have managed to hijack a religion or political system and bring it into disrepute.
    I suppose that any religion or political party is wide open to this. Unfortunately, in some cases, these people gain the power to inflict their ideas on others.
    I hope that the above is not against the rules of this website. I am not attacking islam specifically and realise such silliness and worse can arise in any system that will allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

That mentioned link seems very austere in it's judgments, have looked at it previously in relation to issues such as women and right to travel alone....and forbids it....appears very harsh to my ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Zaynzma

Filan wrote: »
    That mentioned link seems very austere in it's judgments, have looked at it previously in relation to issues such as women and right to travel alone....and forbids it....appears very harsh to my ears.

I also find this website very harsh. I prefer Islamonline:

http://www.islamonline.co.uk/

There's a fatwa bank for checking rulings on various things, although I didn't manage to find one about women driving (there is no prohibition in Islam on women driving, and Allah knows best).

Yes just read a very tolerant, very enlightened section in Islam on Line and other religions. Has helped develop faith in the humanity of Muslims.

The forementioned link appears cruel towards women and demonstrates that Islam can be a force of censorship towards women when interpreted in a certain light, relatively liberating when interpreted differently. Clearly there is no universal interpretation...all are influenced by culture and personal feelings...

We (and I, as a woman), can pick and choose which website we look at, in this country, and what interpretation we choose. The trouble is that in countries where these things are put into law, human rights (of women in this case of driving) are contravened by them being put into law.
    So to say that it seems a bit harsh or cruel does not fully recognise the implications of these otherwise ridiculous judgements. As I said before, it is a pity that people can hijack religion and politics in this way and it is up to the people of these religions to not allow it to happen..... oh except that the power has been taken away from them!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Was it Karl Marx who said "Religion is the Opium of the People" .

That applies to all religons as far as I can see.

• Advertisement

We (and I, as a woman), can pick and choose which website we look at, in this country, and what interpretation we choose. The trouble is that in countries where these things are put into law, human rights (of women in this case of driving) are contravened by them being put into law.
    So to say that it seems a bit harsh or cruel does not fully recognise the implications of these otherwise ridiculous judgements. As I said before, it is a pity that people can hijack religion and politics in this way and it is up to the people of these religions to not allow it to happen..... oh except that the power has been taken away from them!!!!!!!!!!

Alhamdulillah the correct information is out there, so that the pretentions of some states to adhere to Islamic law (Saudi Arabia in this case) are exposed as false.

I don't get too aerated about these things any more - I would argue heatedly with anyone who tried to say women driving violated some Islamic law, but I've become really cynical in my middle age. My 'human right' to drive in this country doesn't do me much good as I can't afford it anyway, the powers that be have made it too cripplingly expensive. I would have loved to go to uni but again, it was not possible for financial reasons. My teeth are really bad because of not being able to afford private dental treatment. Don't I have a 'right' to an affordable dentist?

Rights are tricky things. What's the point in having 'rights' that may be there in theory but in practice are useless? Another example - my 5 year old doesn't go to school because there are no places in the local schools. He's on waiting lists. So much for his right to an education!

Anyway, going off topic now. Women shouldn't be prevented by law from driving, agreed. There is no Islamic justification for it whatsoever.

have recently read a book on western female reverts to Islam and can see both sides from the female perspective. Islam can be, but doesn't have to be a force of oppression for women. It depends on the mind of the woman herself, her morals and goals, also on the intreptation of the Sharia, which can vary substantially.

It wouldn't matter if the woman had a mind of her own... she wouldn't be allowed to drive if some control freak who interpreted Islam in that way, had his way and made it the law..... that's the point!!!!! the only people that can make up their own minds under these circumstances, are male and in a position of power.
    Lets face it... you dont have to be clever or good to be male, it's just luck or otherwise, depending how you look at it. That is why sexism is wrong.
    I am not talking about islam in general or even arguing that this is what it preaches... just pointing out that women not being allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia is not based on any sensible precept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 littlesteps

mmalaka wrote: »
    In Saudi it is not like this is written in the Law. I think outside big cities the women can drive.

It is just a cultural thing

I dont think we can logically and honestly say that something is "just" cultural, when it denies 50% of its population, a fundemental mode of transport. We will respect eachothers intelligence and call this what it is, a way for male dominence to prevail in a Patriarchial society. No more, no less. If one examines deeply what this law (laid down by men), deprives women, it goes much deeper than running out hte door when she is annoyed or upset. lets just call it what it is "controll" and the fear of loosing it. I have studied Islam a lot, think there are many beautiful things within it and this is nothing more than good old male suppression of women. Its basis is "FEAR" and has no place in Gods name. God is always just, it is only humans who are hippocritical in their falsehoods, God knows the hearts and minds of all men.

Thanks littlesteps, you put it in a nutshell.
    It is the law that women are not allowed to drive in Saudi arabia. If anyone would like to see the 'reasons' given for this, a website was posted on page 1 of this thread.
    The chopping off of hands, stoning and beheading in public must brutalize and desensitise people. Perhaps that is why some people seem to be converted to fundamentilism and horrific acts of murder in the name of islam.
    The whole country's ethos seems to be medieval, as someone earlier put it and that combined with 'religious' thinking leads to all these suppressions of human rights, because the men are harshly treated too. It is all about power and keeping it.

It is the law that women are not allowed to drive in Saudi arabia. If anyone would like to see the 'reasons' given for this, a website was posted on page 1 of this thread.
    The chopping off of hands, stoning and beheading in public must brutalize and desensitise people. Perhaps that is why some people seem to be converted to fundamentilism and horrific acts of murder in the name of islam.
    The whole country's ethos seems to be medieval, as someone earlier put it and that combined with 'religious' thinking leads to all these suppressions of human rights, because the men are harshly treated too. It is all about power and keeping it.
    this isnt to do anything with religion at all, alot of your mum's werent probably allowed to vote. just sayin'

think you need to read the whole thread imported guy :o

I'm not sure how we got from banning women drivers to criminal justice in Saudia and terrorism. However since we have, let me remind you all that people of every religion have committed horrific acts, sometimes in the name of their religion (heck, the bible mentions a few massacres, apparently carried out at the behest of "Jehovah").

We don't exactly live in a wonderful violence-free society here do we? Every day in the papers and on our streets - even in some of our homes - violent acts are committed. There are cases of children being horribly tortured and killed by their own family members - who then get a few years in prison and a new identity on their release 'for their safety'. So what has 'brutalised' and desensitised' those killers?

In case you want to make a distinction between murderers who kill just one or two people and those who bomb or shoot a crowd of people, let me tell you that Western armed forces quite calmly and calculatedly bomb people to bits in their 'wars', and that is every bit as murderously violent as a terrorist atrocity. I don't see any difference between blowing up a plane full of innocent (western) people and dropping bombs on a city full of innocent (middle-eastern) people. The west has done quite a lot of the latter in the last few years so don't try and tell me Middle Eastern countries or people are inherently more violent than western ones.

Anyway, I think the question posed in the first post has already been answered and I'm not sure why this thread has veered so off-topic.

think you need to read the whole thread imported guy :o
    read the 15th reply :/ last one on 1st page. im subbed to this thread tbh i think youre the one who needs to read it argument has gone from women drivers in some countries to why religions are being interpeted the way they are

oh btw last time i checked son of god and servant of god in aramaic are the same phrases for those who unaware.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 littlesteps

Thanks BlanchSparks, I dont feel in a position to judge another country, when our own is hardly a Utopia of Family life, where women are respected and the old are cherished and cared for. Yes, Saudi exercises strict Sharia laws. While I may not agree with the brutality of these laws, I have to say that we are the other end of the spectrum e.g. elderly people abused and asaulted in their own homes. As for womens rights and equality, the EU dragged this country kicking and screaming towards equality interms of women. Our grandmothers could not vote, our mothers where forced to leave work after marriage, men owned the family homes. Women through time everywhere have always struggled for equality. Actually, if you think for a moment I suspect that many Saudi men wish their wives could drive. Imagine having to do all the family driving, hospital visits, all responsibility falling on them. it cuts both ways. All the best to the sisters and brothers in saudi. It makes sense to mobilise 50% of the population, so as not to overly burden the other 50%. This is a call for saudi womem. Perhaps they are happy as they are!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement