Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here to the Half-Conemarathon

• 13-12-2009 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I began outdoor running for the first time in July this year. Took it SUPER slow and easy. Toddled along at my own pace, no real direction. Bad experience in the gym years ago had me thinking I'd give up after a few months (boredom, crap music, boredom, sweaty and yukky, boredom).

No such luck! Im hooked now. Was out for a run the other evening and a friend txtd to let me know admissions were closing for the Connemarathon. I signed up for the half.

So, my current best pace is 10k in 57 minutes. I'm 29 in a couple of weeks. 5 6' 56kg (don't want to lose more weight, in fact aiming to put on a few kg over christmas). Have a Polar monitor but find it uncomfortable. I want to get faster and am about to download a plan from Runnersworld. Been poorly this weekend but will head out for an early-morn run tomorrow before work. Here goes!!!:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

I signed up myself, Did it 3 years ago, really nice half marathon. Be prepared for the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome to the logs, and good luck with the Conn half :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Welcome to the logs, and good luck with the Conn half :)
    +1 see you in April!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Butterbear. I'm signed up for the Conn half too and am probably at about your speed (yes it is speed :D lol) so you can give me a push up that hill in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Butterbear

littlebug wrote: »
    Best of luck Butterbear. I'm signed up for the Conn half too and am probably at about your speed (yes it is speed :D lol) so you can give me a push up that hill in April.

Haha, yes I go quite sloooooow. However, I invariably pass out the show-oofs who whizz past me, only to be seen taking walk-breaks a mile further down the road.

Day one of the log was a disaster. I've an awful cold and barely made it to work, let alone stressed my bod. Been resting and stocking up on carbs and will try tentatively on Wednesday. Thought I'd try the Hal Higdon hald marathon plan- any comments?? http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

• Advertisement

What's your current mileage like, and how long are your current long runs?

What's your current mileage like, and how long are your current long runs?
    Hi Rainbow, my long runs are an hour and i'm doing a little over 10k. But that's been without any speed or strength training: just bopping along for runs three times a week to see where it took me. Now I've a focus I want to follow a plan.

The Higdon novice plans are pretty good, if a little light on mileage. I actually used the intermediate plan for my first half, but if you're only used to running 3 times a week, then the novice one may suit you well (though I'd advise possibly stretching out that Wednesday run, 2 miles is really not very much at all!). You'll be taking a step back in terms of your long run distance for a couple of weeks - though over Christmas you may be glad of the break!

The Higdon novice plans are pretty good, if a little light on mileage. I actually used the intermediate plan for my first half, but if you're only used to running 3 times a week, then the novice one may suit you well (though I'd advise possibly stretching out that Wednesday run, 2 miles is really not very much at all!). You'll be taking a step back in terms of your long run distance for a couple of weeks - though over Christmas you may be glad of the break!

Thanks Kirby. I agree, 2 miles is a bit too light!

Been really ill since I started the log, ironically enough! Flu. I went out for a 50 min run last Friday and I was back to square one- felt AWFUL in spite of all my rest/carb-loading and generally thinking I was over it. So I didn't go out running until last night and again felt very raw in the throat afterwards. Feeling back on top of things today and plan a quick 20 min/half hour tomorrow before work(- yes work on xmas eve!). Just to get the juices flowing. I learnt alot about my body in the last week and a half. I learned that I cannot overdo it and should listen to my body when it's telling me to REALLY rest. If I don't: it just catches up on me and makes me pay.

Aims over Christmas: get started on this plan, while taking it easy, attempt to keep my routine while being nice to my body.

Merry Christmas to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Best of luck Butterbear.

You'll love Conn 1/2- it's a great race. Try to incorporate a few hills into your training in a month or so once you're in full swing.

• Advertisement

rigal wrote: »
    Best of luck Butterbear.

You'll love Conn 1/2- it's a great race. Try to incorporate a few hills into your training in a month or so once you're in full swing.
    Thanks Riga,. I found a few hills alright. Moved house to South Dublin and found a nice run from Monkstown to Dalkey.

Update:

Got a run in first things on Christmas eve. About 40 minutes. Didn't push myself so my pace wasn't great.

Did the goal mile on Christmas day. Wrecked! The air was so cold it hurt my chest. It was my first experience running in a group and I found it stressed me out a bit so I'm going to find a few 5 and 10k's to run in the Spring. Need pratice running in groups.

Did a 50 minute run with hills on Stephens day. About 6 miles. Happy with that.

Went drinking on Stephens night so my run on the 28th was a disaster and the roads were treacherous so more of a half run/walk for 50 mins.

I moved house yesterday so lots of lifting, cleaning, walking, jogging about. Really noticed today how my fitness has improved. I'm not sore at all and didn't feel physically tired yesterday.

Tried again this morning but the weather is shocking so did some strength exercises with dumbells etc. Will try again this afternoon if the winds ease off. It just wasn't pleasant and after all, this IS a hobby!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

best of luck with the running and the log.

So, I didn't get out at all on the 30th. The weather stayed horrible. Instead, I used the fold-up excercise bike my sis got from Santy whil watching Mrs Doubtfire (forgot how great Robin Williams is).

Got out for my 9k hilly run on 31st. Found it easier: think I'm finally getting the hang of Danny Dyer's Chi Running methods- want to really get to grips with this style in the next couple of weeks.

Did nothing on 1st (aka hungover and carb-loading on the couch).

Got a half hour in on the indoor excercise bike on 2nd (it was far too slippy to even attempt a run).

Got in antoher 9.25 k hilly run on 3rd. Found it a little tougher and had to stop a few times to help lil ol' ladies over ice.

Hoping to get out for a 4 mile this evening- depending on how icy it it. Finding the weather really frustrating at the moment but I suppose that's all part of an outdoor pursuit. Besides- I jsut can't go back to the gym now. It seems so cramped, sweaty and manic in comparison to my lovely open-air expeditions.

Got out for my 4 mile on 4th. However, the ice and wind made it unpleasant.

Far too treacherous to head out last night so I did a half hour interval traning on the bke.

That's it now until next week as I'm on hols this weekend. Looking forward to running in daylight again soon- I was spoiled over Christmas.

A holiday, a subsequent tummy bug and general fatigue left me out for the count last week. I got about 2 miles in on Wednesday (Jan 13) and had to walk back I was so wrecked. I was really frustrated but decided to just rest.

Back in action now and feeling better for it- relised I need to up my carbohydrate intake even more. Also, as a vegetarian, I don't think I'm getting enough protein. With lessons learned, I'm plowing on.

Really focussing on my form this week. Trying to implement the Chi-running method. I've gotten the hang of it once or twice and it was amazing. It was as if I pushed down on a lever, went faster, pulled up and went slower: without any extra effort. My breathing stayed almost the same, I had no recovery period- but I had accelerated. So, now I want to get the hang of it proper as I really think it'll help me become more efficient with my energy and improve my times: which seem to have stalled.

Had a funny moment: jogging along a side road with a speedometre, preparing for my up-hill, there were no other cars and I noticed it read 10k per hour :)

Sunday 17th: 9k long run. Hilly, no tiredness afterwards. Didn't record my time. Slow-paced.

Monday 18th: 4.3 miles, 35 minutes. Legs a little stiff afterwards as I had to sit down to a study session after.

Did 9k this morning. Hilly run and windy on the way back. 55 mins. Going for another tomorrow but planning on interval training. Great weather for it!

Got out last night for a half hour. Ran faster than normal as I wasn't running as long as I usually do. No idea how fast I was. Planning on a long run tomorrow and some strength traning Thursday evening.

I'm losing my focus as I've lots going on outside of running a the moment. Hope to get back to a routine next week. I've noticed the days realyl ae getting longer. I'm looking forward to being able to fit a run in before work.

27 Jan: 5 miles, interval traning and hills
    1 Feb: 5 miles, took it easy as was tired. 40 minutes.
    4 Feb: 6 miles, out in the howling wind and rain, plenty of hills. 52 minutes.

I plan a LSR on Saturday then a reat day Sunday, back to it Monday evening.

6 Feb: 10k run, plenty of hills. Max Heart rate 178. Average: 164. I had to take off my heart rate monitor altogether. I find the strap very uncomfortable as it digs into my chest and rubs against my ribs. I have had this problem before (it caused bruising last time) and wonder if there's an alternative way to wear it. It's a standard Polar one.

Advertisement