Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my computer completely gone?

• 13-12-2009 6:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

Hey guys. I wrote here a few times about this a long while ago on this but didn't really get a finalising opinion so thought I'd ask again with more information this time.

Ok so my hard drive is completely dead. The computer guy who serviced it mentioned it could have been power surge damage, and i asked here what else could be damaged with it.

Anyway, I started the computer up again today and the BIOS set up screen is still working. Time and date and system configuration is still all there, letting me to believe the motherboard, RAM , and the power supply is alright.

The set up screen is not registering the CD-Rom and hard drive which is expected. The cpu fan also wasnt working as it was taking its power from the CD-Rom. Which i promptly changed.

Last but not least when I tried to start through to the Op system it said "no boot device found", which I presume is the hard drive.

So basically I'm just wondering is worth while just replacing the cd-rom and hard drive, as thats all thats wrong by the sounds of things, or am I wrong in my assumption?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hard to know until you actually try plugging a cd/hdd in really... For all we know the drive controller could be borked and won't recognise any drive at all.

I'd say first of all try picking up/borrowing a cheap CD drive... If that gets picked up then go ahead and order a hard drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

As tman says it could be the controller is gone, any way you could pop your hard drive into another computer to see if it is ok? I suppose it could be possible that the hard drive is knackered and the cd rom is slaved off the back of it causing neither of them to be picked up. You could try connect the hard drive by itself into each of the ports on the motherboard by itself and repeat with the cd drive and see if either of them gets picked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hugoline

A7X wrote: »
    The cpu fan also wasnt working as it was taking its power from the CD-Rom. Which i promptly changed.

This sounds more like part of the PSU gone.

Otherwise do like mbroaders said and try each drive seperately and see if the BIOS picks it up.

Are the drives IDE or SATA? (if the IDE cable is plugged in the wrong way at one device, nothing will be recognised)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Thanks for the reply guys.

I was told the hard drive was fecked so Ill try putting a different one in and see if anything happens alright. Wont be able to for a while though. Maybe a cdrom would be easier to get to try.
    hugoline wrote: »

Are the drives IDE or SATA? (if the IDE cable is plugged in the wrong way at one device, nothing will be recognised)

It's sata.

I really hope its just as simple as changing the hard drive.

Am I right in saying the motherboard seem's alright? Apart form the possibility of the controller?

Also, If I was to get A new hard drive, could I use the OS re-installation cd to install it on to the new one or would I have to get a new OS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Is there power cables going into the CD drive? When you turn on the PC you should hear the CD drive turning on and possible a light coming on for a second.

Your harddrive sounds like it might be the culprit.

If you can get the CD drive to start up, you could get an ubuntu CD and run the Live part of it. This boots ubuntu onto your ram and ignores your harddrive. It's a good way of testing for harddrive issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

On Ubuntu Live CD there is a memtest you can use to check the RAM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

In any case your machine seems to be functioning for the most part. Once you narrow down where the problem is you can replace that specific part, no need to buy a new machine.
    You're probably looking at a €20-€60 repair cost depending on availability of parts. How old is the machine? Do you know the name of your cpu?

as the others have already said, it is a good idea to check your ram.

it is also posssable to install various Linux distributions on a USB thumb/flash drive.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

You'll need a working windows/linux machine to prepare the the thumbdrive install but this should enable you to run an OS (with permanent changes) without the need for a functioning sata controller.

If you decide to try this i'd recommend you browse though the different versions and pay attention to the different install methods, pick one that's easy to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Hey guys. I wrote here a few times about this a long while ago on this but didn't really get a finalising opinion so thought I'd ask again with more information this time.

Ok so my hard drive is completely dead. The computer guy who serviced it mentioned it could have been power surge damage, and i asked here what else could be damaged with it.

Anyway, I started the computer up again today and the BIOS set up screen is still working. Time and date and system configuration is still all there, letting me to believe the motherboard, RAM , and the power supply is alright.

The set up screen is not registering the CD-Rom and hard drive which is expected. The cpu fan also wasnt working as it was taking its power from the CD-Rom. Which i promptly changed.

Last but not least when I tried to start through to the Op system it said "no boot device found", which I presume is the hard drive.

So basically I'm just wondering is worth while just replacing the cd-rom and hard drive, as thats all thats wrong by the sounds of things, or am I wrong in my assumption?

To be honest it just sounds like the HDD is dead "no boot device was found"

new HDD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Cluster wrote: »
    To be honest it just sounds like the HDD is dead "no boot device was found"

new HDD

I wish all my "obvious" computer issues where that simple.

And doing as you suggest is an expensive game. Just buying a new part, replacing the old one and seeing what happens. Sounds like the jolly good days of the celtic tiger are still about :P

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

I wish all my "obvious" computer issues where that simple.

And doing as you suggest is an expensive game. Just buying a new part, replacing the old one and seeing what happens. Sounds like the jolly good days of the celtic tiger are still about :P

I hear ye but If he's already asked someone to look at the issue and they have said its the HDD......

If you had another HDD from another machine take that out and stick it in and see If it boots?!?!?! (was this already suggested)

• Advertisement

CrinkElite wrote: »
    In any case your machine seems to be functioning for the most part. Once you narrow down where the problem is you can replace that specific part, no need to buy a new machine.
    You're probably looking at a €20-€60 repair cost depending on availability of parts. How old is the machine? Do you know the name of your cpu?

as the others have already said, it is a good idea to check your ram.

it is also posssable to install various Linux distributions on a USB thumb/flash drive.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

You'll need a working windows/linux machine to prepare the the thumbdrive install but this should enable you to run an OS (with permanent changes) without the need for a functioning sata controller.

If you decide to try this i'd recommend you browse though the different versions and pay attention to the different install methods, pick one that's easy to follow.

Im intrigued about this but im a bit confused as to what it will do? and what it is to check for?

Also we got the computer around 2003/4 but the only thing that is the same in it is the motherboard, cpu, cdrom and also the HDD.

Everything else has been upgraded. The cpu is a Pentium 4.

Also could someone expand on what an unbunt is?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Im intrigued about this but im a bit confused as to what it will do? and what it is to check for?

Also we got the computer around 2003/4 but the only thing that is the same in it is the motherboard, cpu, cdrom and also the HDD.

Everything else has been upgraded. The cpu is a Pentium 4.

Also could someone expand on what an unbunt is?

thanks

Ubuntu is a linux distribution - a different type of operating system to Windows.
    You can download a ".iso" file which can be burnt directly to a CD.

If you have a spare USB memory key you can also run ubuntu from this if your PC supports booting from a usb key. See the pendrive linux link in CrinkElite's post above.

Basically, you hit "Delete" or "F12" or a similar button to enter the boot menu when you start up your PC.(you can also set the boot order in the BIOS) Then you choose what you want to boot(start the computer) from; your hard drive, CD drive or usb key.

If you can boot from your cd drive or usb key, you can run Memtest to check your RAM and you can also see if the CD/HDD is accessible from Ubuntu.

duffman85 wrote: »
    Ubuntu is a linux distribution - a different type of operating system to Windows.
    You can download a ".iso" file which can be burnt directly to a CD.

If you have a spare USB memory key you can also run ubuntu from this if your PC supports booting from a usb key. See the pendrive linux link in CrinkElite's post above.

Basically, you hit "Delete" or "F12" or a similar button to enter the boot menu when you start up your PC.(you can also set the boot order in the BIOS) Then you choose what you want to boot(start the computer) from; your hard drive, CD drive or usb key.

If you can boot from your cd drive or usb key, you can run Memtest to check your RAM and you can also see if the CD/HDD is accessible from Ubuntu.

Ah I see. And would I just use it as a temporary thing to see whats working and what's not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Yeah, that's it.
    When the cd/usb key boots it gives you options to 1)run memtest to check RAM, 2) install ubuntu or 3) run the livecd version of ubuntu.

3) lets you boot into a desktop. There's a computer icon on the desktop,clicking on it opens a file manager. There should be a list of hard drive(s) on the left hand side of the file manager. clicking on one of these will let you view the contents of your hard drive if its not damaged beyond repair.

duffman85 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's it.
    When the cd/usb key boots it gives you options to 1)run memtest to check RAM, 2) install ubuntu or 3) run the livecd version of ubuntu.

3) lets you boot into a desktop. There's a computer icon on the desktop,clicking on it opens a file manager. There should be a list of hard drive(s) on the left hand side of the file manager. clicking on one of these will let you view the contents of your hard drive if its not damaged beyond repair.

Thanks guys. Ill give this ago and see what the outcome is :)

Ok guys. im talking to you off my "dead" pc.
    Just a few questions until i get a new HDD. Will i have to have the CD in all the times to run UBUNTU?

And when I do get a new HDD can i use the reinstall cd to put windows XP on it? Or will i have to buy a new OS?

Also wen im on Ubuntu, windows keep closing for no reason? this is my third time writing this.

Advertisement