Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aumating heating water pump?

Options
  • 13-12-2009 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, have oil heating which includes an indoor water pump which is controlled by a switch. If the pump is switched on, it takes a long time for the house to heat up,therefore I usually turn on heating, and as the house heats up turn on pump to circulate to upstairs rooms.

Is there any way to automate this, i.e. when water hits temperature, pump switches on??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Simpleist way is have the pump on a timer. Change the pump for a timer switch becaurse if you were like what i was you prob forget to flick the switch then upstairs is cold going to bed and you want to turn off the heating. But the actual way it use to be done is have the pump kick in when the pipe got to a certain temperature at a certain point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Thats a strange setup , the pump would usualy be by the boilr and come n when you power the boiler from the timer switch , you should get someone in to setup your system properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

There are two pumps, one is situated beside boiler in an outhouse, this is controlled by usual timer/manual override switch which turns on the boiler.. Second pump is inside the house. The system is a dual backburner (coal fire) and oil boiler system.
    I'd assume it was origionally all heated from the fire and at a later date the oild burner was added (Old house).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭blackbox

I had a similar issue (it was also cooling the hot tank) and resolved it with a pipe-stat.

I simply wired it in so that the pump wouldn't start until the water circulating by natural convection had got up to temperature.

This may not work if the pump in the out-house is causing the problem as it may be too far away to get circulation by convection.

Is the back-boiler on a separate circuit (i.e. dual coil)? - if so, you don't want its pump running unless the fire is lit (can also be automated with a pipe-stat). If its on the same circuit you may be losing heat up the chimney as the back boiler could be working as a radiator.

Advertisement