Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court ordered supervised child access

Options
  • 13-12-2009 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain what exactly does 'supervised' mean or entail. I have been asked by a friend to do this following a relation of her's being granted access to her daughter by court order. There is conflict between her and this relation so she does not want her daughter to be caught in the middle or to be impacted by it.

I just want to understand what is expected of me before I agree, this is no worry about this person harming the child it is more about the child having not seen them for a period of time. Would I need to follow their every move or just sit back from it a bit and have them in eyes view or what does it entail, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I suggest you contact Barnardos for guidance on what supervised access visits should be like. They might be able to point you in the right direction.

As I understand it; the supervisor is there to act on behalf of the child, not either parent. They should step in if the topic of conversation is inappropriate or activities are inappropriate & if the child is getting upset (but that goes without saying). After each visit you should note down what happened and also how you felt the child got on before/after the visit.

It's a very important task. Fair play to you for taking it seriously and researching what you will have to do. Best of luck!

Advertisement