Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What bird was this?

• 13-12-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

I was two of them at my bird feeder (thankfully squirrels have not been able to climb up)

It had red on its head with black and white colouration further down its neck with a yellowish belly (as far as I can remember)

Unfortunately I didn't get a picture.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was it a small bird, smaller than a house sparrow? If so it may have been a redpoll. I get loads of them this time of year when they arrive for the winter.

Most of mine are Lesser Redpoll and Artic Redpoll.

Below are an image I got online and a picture I got online.

lesser%20redpoll_300_tcm9-139968.jpg

common_redpoll.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Loads of Redpolls in my garden at the moment too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Could have been a gold finch. Quite a few visit my feeders.

http://www.birdfood.co.uk/images/fact_files/goldfinch_01.jpg

Hasn't got the yellowish breast but there's certainly yellow present.

Would love to see a redpoll though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

My immediate response is a Redpoll, but I'd like the OP to come back and confirn based on the excellent pictures provided by Kess73.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

It was a Gold Finch!

Thanks for the brilliant photos/colour pictures everyone. I tried briefly to look it up online but only got useless charts in black and white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Is the bird that is located to the right of the feeder a Goldfinch too?

This one was taken today in my garden. I thought it was a Greenfinch when I took it but it looks more like a Goldfinch to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

gzoladz wrote: »
    Is the bird that is located to the right of the feeder a Goldfinch too?

This one was taken today in my garden. I thought it was a Greenfinch when I took it but it looks more like a Goldfinch to me?

Bird on the right is not a typical adult Goldfinch which would have the white cheeks. Checked a few books and while they don't have exact match the mottled belly would suggest juvenile Goldfinch in transition to adult.

Bird on the left looks like a female Greenfinch.

Thanks for posting!

Thank you jmkennedyie, that makes sense.

Yes, the one on the left is a female Greenfinch. I am getting loads of them currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

It was years before I saw a Goldfinch, love them. They are normally in small groups. Haven't seen them in a long time.

I must be lucky. I have had the feeder since April but only this week started trying to identify the birds.

By the way, if there is any starter around, I can reccomend the book "Ireland's Garden Birds", from Oran O'Sullivan and Jim Wilson. Very very very well done. It focuses on the top 50 most common garden birds, with guides telling you what you need to watch to identify them, a 2 pages file per bird with information, pictures, propposed lay out for the garden, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 macaw4

Bird on the right is not a typical adult Goldfinch which would have the white cheeks. Checked a few books and while they don't have exact match the mottled belly would suggest juvenile Goldfinch in transition to adult.

Bird on the left looks like a female Greenfinch.

Thanks for posting!

The bird on the right is a hybrid of the native goldfinch and a small canary breed better known as a mule,these are bred in captivity for their singing ablity.It has probably escaped from aviary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Yeah, I wasn't certain about it being juvenile...should have reached adult plumage by now according to Collins Bird Guide.

Are these hybrids typically fertile? TBH I'm hoping they're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 macaw4

Yeah, I wasn't certain about it being juvenile...should have reached adult plumage by now according to Collins Bird Guide.

Are these hybrids typically fertile? TBH I'm hoping they're not.

The offspring of canaries crossed with goldfinches have never been recorded as fertile they will pair up and incubate eggs though and are sometimes used as foster parents in captivity

Four Goldfinches at the birdfeeder this morning!

They took their time stuffing themselves, the Blue Tits were pissed. They were frightened off along with the pigeon and two thrushes (the three were on the ground) by a next door neighbour. Afterwards a Robin landed on the feeder and went for the peanuts.

I reckon it was the Nygar seeds that brought them in.

Still have yet to see some Black Caps :(

Blackcaps...I have got tired to see them. Loads of them during the last couple of weeks.

I have yet to see a real goldfinch though. Full of greenfinches today, but the closes to a goldfinch was the same fellow from the picture I posted on Jan 1st (I know it was the same due to the ring).

Saw a male Chaffinch later on and then a second Robin.

Your lucky to have seen so many Greenfinches, I think they are one of the birds most affected by the Trichomonad parasite.

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/News/OutbreaksofdiseaseamongstGreenfinches/tabid/460/Default.aspx

Is there a sticky for cleaning bird feeders etc.

Advertisement