Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty Laptop

Options
  • 13-12-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all looking for some advice,
    I was usuing my laptop lastnight and suddenly smoke started comming out of the jack on the side of the laptop where you plug in the charger.
    the plastic on the charger plug has melted and i think if i was not there to unplug it it may have started a fire.
    the computer is 2 months old
    Can i demand a replacement, or what will happen ,i am nervous about the company offering a repair or a new charger as this is a real safety issue
    thanks
    d

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

faulty equipment or laptop

either way you have all the rights here for a new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭ddarraghh

that sounds good
    its a hp laptop bought in pc world
    who should i contact , can i walk in and demand(nicely) a replacement from the shop.

ddarraghh wrote: »
    that sounds good
    its a hp laptop bought in pc world
    who should i contact , can i walk in and demand(nicely) a replacement from the shop.

absolutely, go to the shop with proof of purchase, explain the situation and they will replace the entire lot for you. If you need to they could also transfer your files.

And yes, be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

the retailer has the right to offer either a repair , replacement or refund at their discretion.

For most of the time it will be examined by a repair agent to determine the fault then the decision will be made for repair or replacement.
    They have to see that it was a internal fault and not user damage (not saying you did anything to it but its only fair to both the consumer and retailer)

dont go in expecting it being sorted in 10 minutes.

Antigone05 wrote: »
    the retailer has the right to offer either a repair , replacement or refund at their discretion.

For most of the time it will be examined by a repair agent to determine the fault then the decision will be made for repair or replacement.
    They have to see that it was a internal fault and not user damage (not saying you did anything to it but its only fair to both the consumer and retailer)

dont go in expecting it being sorted in 10 minutes.

I could debate this hours on end as i've had experience in dealing with PC World with these cases and for this one within warranty and guarantee etc. he will be sorted with a replacement.

the only thing that wouldn't covered would be the likes of water damage., but in this case i see no problems, just faulty items

Let us know how it cos dude :)

• Advertisement

well i hope pc world are going to be nice and not leave me with out a lap top over the christmas ,as i would like to skype friends and family.
    I really would like a replacement from a safety point of view ,also the high tempratures involved my have damaged or weakened other components leading to failure in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

robbie_998 wrote: »
    I could debate this hours on end as i've had experience in dealing with PC World with these cases and for this one within warranty and guarantee etc. he will be sorted with a replacement.

the only thing that wouldn't covered would be the likes of water damage., but in this case i see no problems, just faulty items

Let us know how it cos dude :)
    I'd be highly surprised if PC World will give the OP an instant replacement without first taking a look at the laptop. It would be nice if they do, but I doubt they will.

Once they offer one of the three R's - repair, replace, refund - they are fulfilling their obligations under law. So OP, despite what robbie_998 tells you, you do not have a *right* to an instant replacement.

Take it back to them, see what they say. Stay calm, and don't quote your rights unless you know them 100% :)

well looks like its most likely a repaire, then and i guess that will take weeks
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sbkenn

After 2 months, and the nature of the fault ... possible fire risk, I would insist on a replacement or refund.

well looks like its most likely a repaire, then and i guess that will take weeks
    :mad:
    Take it back to them first thing tomorrow morning. If PC World insist on repair, then it'll get sent to HP. If PC World get it sent to HP by Tuesday, then you should have it back to you before Christmas :)

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote: »
    I'd be highly surprised if PC World will give the OP an instant replacement without first taking a look at the laptop. It would be nice if they do, but I doubt they will.

Once they offer one of the three R's - repair, replace, refund - they are fulfilling their obligations under law. So OP, despite what robbie_998 tells you, you do not have a *right* to an instant replacement.

Take it back to them, see what they say. Stay calm, and don't quote your rights unless you know them 100% :)

Fire damage is un-repairable :P

Fire damage is un-repairable :P
    Chances are it is just the mains adapter and power connection to the motherboard that need to be replaced. Possibly the casing if there's any cosmetic damage to it. No replacement of the entire laptop.

Chances are it is just the mains adapter and power connection to the motherboard that need to be replaced. Possibly the casing if there's any cosmetic damage to it. No replacement of the entire laptop.

so the case, motherboard and the mains adapter/power connection ???

it would be easier and cheaper on everybody's side (inc. HP) to actually just replace it and waste no time than get it repaired, Everything mentioned there are pretty much the biggest and main parts of the laptop.

plus i often see people in PC world walk up with a laptop that doesn't work for whatever reason with a receipt and the tech guys just replace it without looking at it insted of wasting time anyway, they will just replace,

hell he can have a full refund if he wants for no reason cos he still has everything, warranty, guarantee etc.

hell he can have a full refund if he wants for no reason cos he still has everything, warranty, guarantee etc.
    No, no he can't have a full refund for no reason. Look I'm not wasting my time arguing with you. Please, if you're going to advise someone on their rights, make sure it is correct. It'll make it a lot easier for both shop and customer.

OP:
    Take the laptop back to PC World first thing tomorrow and see what they say.

What you are entitled to from them, by law, is a repair, a replacement or a refund, which the retailer will offer to you.
    Once the retailer offers one of any of these three, they are fulfilling their legal obligations.
    You do have a right to appeal their offer to you, for example if they offer a repair (which I'm certain they will) and you want a refund or replacement, then you can take them to the small claims court. However, since this is the first problem with the laptop and you haven't given the shop a chance to look at the laptop, the SCC will want a good reason to rule against the shop. And it'll be mid January at the earlier before you get a resolution at this stage of the year!

You do not have the automatic right to an instant replacement.
    You do not have the automatic right to an instant refund.
    You have no right whatsoever to a "refund for no reason" - even if everything was in the box, unused and unopened :rolleyes:

All the best OP, let us know how you get on...

I dont see anything here about inspections.

I also highlighted the important bit.

Linky

And also once again I am in the the jervis center PC World quite a bit and i spend a bit of time browsing around and I see people walk in with faulty items including laptops, go straight to the thecguys and they have a new one in a matter of minuets !
    Returns Policy

Cancellations and Returns

Cancellation (Delivery items only)
    If you have chosen to have your order delivered, you can cancel your purchase at any time either before or up to 14 days after delivery by:
    Returning the product to one of our stores (please bring your receipt with you and the card you paid with, so that it can be credited); following the 'Returns' instructions in your delivery documentation
    Your product must be complete, unused and in 'as new' condition (e.g. if you have opened the box to examine the product you must have done so without damaging or marking the product in any). It should be returned with the original box, packing and accessories. Pre-recorded videotapes, DVDs, CDs, minidiscs and other software must be sealed. Any 'Free Gifts' received with the product must also be returned.

You will receive a full refund, and the cancellation is free of charge provided you return the product to a store, arrange for it to be collected from the delivery address or use one of our pre-paid returns labels. If you choose another method of return, you must bear the costs.

We cannot cancel your purchase when:
    You return your product to a store without proof of purchase;
    The seal has been broken on any software including games; or
    The goods were a special order to your specification.
    Return of Faulty Goods - Delivery Items
    If there is a fault with your product within 12 months of delivery (or other defect with your order), we will normally offer a prompt repair, exchange or refund. We will always offer you the choice of an exchange or refund if the fault occurs within 28 days of delivery.

To qualify for a refund or exchange the product must be:
    In otherwise in 'as-new' condition;
    Complete with any accessories and free gifts offered with it (and, if possible, the original box and packaging).
    Please return the product to a PC World store (10am to 6pm Monday to Saturday & 12pm to 6pm on Sunday). If your product is a large screen TV (over 24") then you should call 1890 400 001 first where our dedicated flat panel support team will be able to asssit you.

This promise does not cover faults caused by accident, neglect, misuse or normal wear and tear. For consumable items (e.g. batteries, camera films, ink cartridges etc) the guarantee period is three months from delivery.

If a pre-recorded videotape, DVD, CD, Minidisc or other software is faulty under guarantee we will happily exchange it for the same title or refund your money.

Any refund due to a fault or other defect will include a refund of the applicable delivery charges. We will also pay for our costs of collecting goods for replacement or refund if they are not taken into a store. Replacement goods are sent by standard delivery only (i.e. premium services are not available).

THIS RETURNS POLICY DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

To qualify for a refund or exchange the product must be:
    In otherwise in 'as-new' condition;
    Complete with any accessories and free gifts offered with it (and, if possible, the original box and packaging).
    so the laptop must be fit for resale practically if you are to get a refund or replacement otherwise it will be repaired!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,078 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I dont see anything here about inspections.

I also highlighted the important bit.

Linky

And also once again I am in the the jervis center PC World quite a bit and i spend a bit of time browsing around and I see people walk in with faulty items including laptops, go straight to the thecguys and they have a new one in a matter of minuets !

Sometimes there's a song and dance when you return something, but obviously PC World miss out the singing part.:pac:

Yes, I can't see them offering a repair either, and I don't work for them. Just imagining what kind of damage there is inside the case, I can't see how it would be easily repairable. It may not be as relatively simple as soldering a new jack to the motherboard, as other components could have been fried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

This is whats going to happen. You will bring your laptop back to pc world. They will have a look at it there and then and tell you they will send it off to their repair place in the uk. In the repair centre they will say that it falls under accidental damage and that they're not fixing it. It will be sent back to the shop and you will be called. It will take a minimum of 2 weeks if it is sent to the repair centre. If you get a good decent manager they might cut out the rest of the bull and get you sorted with a new one.

duff man
    i think your completly wrong ,if hp say the product is not faulty why the hell would the manager give me a new one
    have recieved a e mail from hp and as there was danger involved they are quiet interested (so far)

ill be back with an update
    thanks for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Not quite correct, repair , replace, refund are the three options to get to a resolution. Its not the retailers decision as to which one they offer. It is down to negotiation with the consumer to resolve the situation.

PC World cant simply say we will repair it and not listen to the customers issues. In a case like this I think the consumer has a valid reason not to accept a repair as there may be more damage which will not become apparent until further use, in effect the lifespan of the unit once repaired is likely to be less than intended originally.

The consumer can therefore decline a replacement on these grounds and are within their rights to do so, if both parties refuse to budge then it is one for the small claims to decide.

Key point is to make it quite clear that in your opinion a repair will not return the unit to the same quality that you had previously, that if they send it for repair you will not accept it.

Bloke in the pub was telling me this, have not sourced it yet but he is a consumer expert so I have no reason to distrust him. I asked him an identical issue about christmas lights as it happened.

• Advertisement

pc world were not to interested in my story
    we will send it away for inspection
    full stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

full stop
    as they are entitled to do but remember the inspection will most likely result in you getting a new replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

full stop

They are entitled to send it away for inspection to see if this was due to faulty goods or improper use (such as spilling a drink on it). Once they have inspected it they may decide to repair, if the consumer is unhappy with this option and feels they would win the case in the small claims court then they are entitled to do this. In this case you should make it clear that you do not consider a repair to be suitable and have good argument for when it goes to court.

Of course, if they give you good reason why repair is fine then you should consider it, make sure you get it in writing though.

cool thanks for the help,
    :mad: this sucks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

PC World, Dixons and Currys are all part of the same group- and in Ireland have a 35 working day policy for repairs. If they cannot repair your product within 35 working days (7 weeks) you can call to any branch of the DSG group within the Irish republic for a replacement. If you bought it up north- its 28 days.

full stop

I think i got confused, If it was within the 30 day money back guarantee you would've have gotten it instantly :confused:

anyway, Inspection, Faults, Replaced but just a bit longer

have decided to deal with hp direct
    they have already tried to settle it by offering a nother charger
    i told them what will i do plug it in and wait to see if it goes on fire.
    will see what happens next

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭MadMickeyMonk

Haha I see PC world are spinning their story of ****e again about their terms and conditions. Did they look for the 60 euro for the privalage of them telling you its broke? I posted something similar in a similar topic which happened in nov 07 so nice to see their still selling rubbish poor quality laptops :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Haha I see PC world are spinning their story of ****e again about their terms and conditions. Did they look for the 60 euro for the privalage of them telling you its broke? I posted something similar in a similar topic which happened in nov 07 so nice to see their still selling rubbish poor quality laptops :D

Would you expect anything less???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

but surely the computer could have been purchased anywhere else.

a bit of a far fetched comment to say they sell rubbish computers when the guy next door would have the same model.

Advertisement