Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to O2 from Waterford

Options
  • 13-12-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We'll be coming to Dublin to see Miley Cyrus on Thursday. Concert starts at 7.30. This is a special treat from my daughters but I'm a bit worried about making it on time :eek:

Thinking of coming up the coast road & in along via the East Link bridge, but am open to suggestions.

I know that we won't be able to park when we get there, but hubby has volunteered to drive us, and just wait for us somewhere nearby till concert ends.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

best route to take would be head towards kilkenny, and onto the N9/N7 and in from there..... its pretty much straight all the way. (following the signs)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    We'll be coming to Dublin to see Miley Cyrus on Thursday. Concert starts at 7.30. This is a special treat from my daughters but I'm a bit worried about making it on time :eek:

Thinking of coming up the coast road & in along via the East Link bridge, but am open to suggestions.

I know that we won't be able to park when we get there, but hubby has volunteered to drive us, and just wait for us somewhere nearby till concert ends.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Yep, drive up N11 and the onto the coast road would be the best route. The new Samuel Beckett bridge is open now too so if you don't want to pay the toll drive down the canal to Grand canal, turn left then right onto Macken St, then over the bridge, the O2 is to your right. There's heaps of parking around there. There's a car park in IFSC which has a special evening rate.

Alternatively, drive up N7, park at red cow luas and get the luas down to the Point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Alternatively, drive up N7, park at red cow luas and get the luas down to the Point.

If your not sure about dublin city, then i would do this. Its straight forward with least amount of hassle. Park, get straight onto the luas, and then when you get off you couldn't be closer to the venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Davy wrote: »
    If your not sure about dublin city, then i would do this. Its straight forward with least amount of hassle. Park, get straight onto the luas, and then when you get off you couldn't be closer to the venue.

+1 on the luas trip, very very very cheap parking at it now goes all the way to the O2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

AA Roadwatch will give the best route!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Why have the hassle of driving into Dublin city at rush hour, park and ride all the way to the point from Red Cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Looks like the Red Cow could be an option. Any idea how long the trip from the Red Cow to the O2 would take on the Luas?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

40 or 45 approx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

If you are travelling during peak, park in Tallaght and get the Luas from there. These concerts will be attended by many children and the trams will be very busy. For your own comfort Tallaght will be easier to get on and all will be guaranteed seats. There is park and ride in Tallaght and HE could go to the cinema while waiting for you.

rednik wrote: »
    If you are travelling during peak, park in Tallaght and get the Luas from there. These concerts will be attended by many children and the trams will be very busy. For your own comfort Tallaght will be easier to get on and all will be guaranteed seats. There is park and ride in Tallaght and HE could go to the cinema while waiting for you.

you appear to be forgetting that not all trams start at tallaght.

most trams start at the red cow, go straight into town then to the square,

during the day they'll never go straight to tallaght unless it was an emergency of some kind

anyway i've very frequently gotten on a tram at the red cow only to find it empty after pulling out of the depot, and plus the car park at the red cow is much safer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

After 4pm services run from Tallaght every six minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

robbie_998 wrote: »
    you appear to be forgetting that not all trams start at tallaght.

OP, please ignore this poster as they are talking total nonsense and have got it completely wrong. Virtually all i.e. 99.9% trams begin their route from Tallaght (the Square) to City Centre, only if there was an accident or difficulty on the line in Tallaght would trams begin at Red Cow. Maybe the poster is mistaken and thinks the trams are coming from the depot when in fact they have actually begun in Tallaght?
    most trams start at the red cow, go straight into town then to the square,

Wrong. Trams start at Tallaght go to City Centre and vice versa (passing Red Cow on way)
    during the day they'll never go straight to tallaght unless it was an emergency of some kind

Completely wrong. All Trams obviously run in both directions, meaning that all trams commencing their journey in City Centre will travel to Tallaght via Red Cow, whilst all trams commencing in Tallaght will travel to City Centre via Red Cow.
    anyway i've very frequently gotten on a tram at the red cow only to find it empty after pulling out of the depot,

Not when there is a big concert in o2 arena or match in Croke Park you haven't as tram would be packed, with a sizeable portion
    of them boarding at Red Cow. The suggestion by another poster to board the tram at the Square and thereby secure a seat is therefore very sensible.
    and plus the car park at the red cow is much safer

I would totally disagree with this. I regularly park at both and would definitely consider the Square the safer option, as there are far more security personel in evidence than at the Red Cow.

Anyway, OP I would definitely recommend luas as best option for getting to o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

There are 2 gated derelict sites about 2 min walk from the O2, charge for UB40 was €10. No problem parking here when the O2 doors opened but obviously Miley will have a much larger crowd.

Hubby could drive down towards the O2 and drop you off past Jury's Inn, drive back towards O'Connell St and go to the cinema. You'll probably have to walk a few minutes further after the concert as there will be a queue of taxis along the N Wall Quay probably just past the Guild St junction.

Avoid driving past Heuston Station, could take 30 min.

dats_right wrote: »
    OP, please ignore this poster as they are talking total nonsense and have got it completely wrong. Virtually all i.e. 99.9% trams begin their route from Tallaght (the Square) to City Centre, only if there was an accident or difficulty on the line in Tallaght would trams begin at Red Cow. Maybe the poster is mistaken and thinks the trams are coming from the depot when in fact they have actually begun in Tallaght?

I have being on the very first tram in the morning and it leaves the red cow depot (yes you can physically see it come out and switch tracks and all the rest) first thing in the morning and nobody on it, you lie !
    Wrong. Trams start at Tallaght go to City Centre and vice versa (passing Red Cow on way)

They do both !!!!!!!!!!!!

some go straight up to tallaght but work the line up to it and others leave the red cow and work their way into town I.E THEY STOP AT ALL STOPS FOR PEOPLE !!!!!!!

Completely wrong. All Trams obviously run in both directions, meaning that all trams commencing their journey in City Centre will travel to Tallaght via Red Cow, whilst all trams commencing in Tallaght will travel to City Centre via Red Cow.

So your telling me a tram will go all the way up to tallaght without stopping anywhere ? :rolleyes:
    Not when there is a big concert in o2 arena or match in Croke Park you haven't as tram would be packed, with a sizeable portion
    of them boarding at Red Cow. The suggestion by another poster to board the tram at the Square and thereby secure a seat is therefore very sensible.

Eh, YES I HAVE, I'VE BEING TO PLENTY OF GAMES IN CROKE PARK. LUAS SPECIFICALLY BRING OUT TRAMS FROM THE DEPOT WHICH ARE EMPTY TO HANDLE THE CROWDS !!!

Also secure a seat ? why do that when you could have extra services coming from the red cow cos the tram at tallaght is already jammed ?
    I would totally disagree with this. I regularly park at both and would definitely consider the Square the safer option, as there are far more security personel in evidence than at the Red Cow.

Are you really trying to say the Square Shopping center Tallaght Dublin 24 is safer than the Red Cow for break-in's and robbery's ?

Or should we put it this way, would you rather park at the Red Cow Hotel, The william Fitzgereald Hotel or the square tallaght ???? :rolleyes:

Also if they chose to go the the square it would only be wasting time too !

Do i really have to ask Veolia themselves to back me up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Do NOT under any circumstances drive in via M7/Heuston/North Quays. When there is a big early concert on the inbound traffic gets to be as bad as the morning rush hour traffic on this route as everyone tries to use it. I have heard journey times of 1h30 from M50 to O2 quoted and having seen the queues (from the buslane) would well believe it.

If you must drive right in then go N11/Eastlink but this is not a great idea either, it is very slow with commuter traffic most evenings and this only dies down from 6.30 ish.

Use the good public transport option available and park the car at the Red Cow P+R and tram it from there. Whatever about getting a seat easier from Tallaght, it is far easier and quicker to drive to the Red Cow from Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Mark Surname

There is loads of parking around the place. parked on the street beside it last night at around 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Hi,
    Just to say thanks to all of you for your tips. We got dropped off at the Red Cow Luas & made it in plenty of time.
    Cheers

Advertisement