Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who would you like to see as next liverpool manager

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Mr Alan wrote: »
    the reason people didn't take too well to it is simply that we've been hearing the same stuff from "friends of friends of friends" etc for months, without a single instance of it proving to be anything other than total horse****.

Fair enough. Didn't realize this as I'm not following pool or even epl much and obviously not follwing the threads either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Boskowski wrote: »
    Well I guess I didn't deserve any better and learned a valuable forum lesson today.
    However, call me gullible or a troll or whatever but I have no motivation on trolling and don't give a poop about pool and I found the source and the info authentic enough to pass it on.

While I find it reasonable enough to take such unverifiable info with a pinch of salt and with a for-what-it's-worth approach - I would do so myself - you guys are quite frankly behaving like a bunch of ten year olds.

Anyway, lets leave it at that but you might remember this exchange a few days from now...maybe tomorrow even

Yeah, this exchange and various others. And you say maybe tomorrow?? What, after the final game of the season??!!! :eek:

If you read over the past few weeks, anybody can say Rafa is gone after the Hull match!! He may well go. I'm actually thinking myself that he may not be manager next season.

But all this 'i heard from my mate's cousin etc etc' means nothing. It's all bullsh!t until we hear confirmation!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

monkey9 wrote: »
    Yeah, this exchange and various others. And you say maybe tomorrow?? What, after the final game of the season??!!! :eek:

If you read over the past few weeks, anybody can say Rafa is gone after the Hull match!! He may well go. I'm actually thinking myself that he may not be manager next season.

But all this 'i heard from my mate's cousin etc etc' means nothing. It's all bullsh!t until we hear confirmation!!

What I'm saying is that it was apparently announced to the players today. Can't you fkn read?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If Benitez is so good how difficult would it be for some of the well off big clubs to tempt him away from Liverpool.

Having watched his efforts at Liverpool methinks that most of these clubs are not trying too hard to tempt Benitez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You have heard of Juventus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,733 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mike65 wrote: »
    You have heard of Juventus?

Meh, he swaps one struggling English side for a similar Italian one.

What have they had 5 managers in 4/5 years.

There are shambles and not the club there were for various well publised reasons.

I answered the question put, I'm not passing judgement on the club in question

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

Big Mick McCarthy
    29qmrko.gif

Boggles wrote: »
    Meh, he swaps one struggling English side for a similar Italian one.

What have they had 5 managers in 4/5 years.

There are shambles and not the club there were for various well publised reasons.
    mike65 wrote: »
    I answered the question put, I'm not passing judgement on the club in question
    Boggles answered that question very well.

If anything Benitez has proven that he is not able to manage a Grade A club during his time at Liverpool.

How many players has Benitez signed for a reasonable amont of money that have become valued or sold for considerable more money.

These two perhaps

Torres (who Liverpool could never have signed except that the big clubs with the money thought he was to injury prone which has turned out to be the case. He probably has played more games that these other observers expected mind.

The Spanish Midfielder(mental block with his name atm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

blinding wrote: »

If anything Benitez has proven that he is not able to manage a Grade A club during his time at Liverpool.

How many players has Benitez signed for a reasonable amont of money that have become valued or sold for considerable more money.

These two perhaps

Torres (who Liverpool could never have signed except that the big clubs with the money thought he was to injury prone which has turned out to be the case. He probably has played more games that these other observers expected mind.

Alonso is who you are thinking about.
    You seem to be forgetting

Reina cost £6 million and one of the most expensive goalkeepers in the world right now if he was sold.
    Kyrgiakos is certainly worth a lot more than £1.5 million already
    He made a nice profit on Sissoko,
    Insua is worth a lot more than the £1.3 million they paid for him.

He has made some terrible purchases as well though tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lol no, he was not injury prone at Atlético at all actually

season 2006/07 started 36 of 38 league matches
    season 2005/06 started 36 of 38 league matches
    season 2004/05 started 38 of 38 league matches
    season 2003/04 started 35 of 38 league matches

so he started 145 of 152 league games over 4 years in spain, his injury problems only began at liverpool

and nearly all of them picked up with Spain oddly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i watched a fair bit of torres in spain and at the time £20m was a huge gamble. spanish strikers had never adapted to playing in england, morientes was a huge flop and reyes at arsenal even worse

torres strike rate was poor as well, he had scored 13 goals in 36 league games previous two seasons so roughly 1 in 3, freddie kanoute who had been terrible in england had 22 in 30 league games last season torres played in spain :eek:

real madrid didn't rate him at all, every derby game the madrid press kept going on about how the so-called star couldn't score against them and was nothing but hype (he did manage one his last season there)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

These two perhaps

eagle eye wrote: »
    Alonso is who you are thinking about.
    You seem to be forgetting

Reina cost £6 million and one of the most expensive goalkeepers in the world right now if he was sold.
    Kyrgiakos is certainly worth a lot more than £1.5 million already
    He made a nice profit on Sissoko,
    Insua is worth a lot more than the £1.3 million they paid for him.

He has made some terrible purchases as well though tbf.

There are quite a few players. In fact, of the list of players that he has bought and subsequently sold on again, he has made an overall profit.

Secondly, what standard are we holding him too? We all know that Wenger has sold quite a few players on at a substantial profit and that this has resulted in him having an overal tiny net spend. I can't really think of any other managers at top clubs that have done the same. Ferguson has done it twice if I remember rightly (Beckham and Ronaldo).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Juventus have lots of money to spend I thought? The chairman was looking at completely rebuilding the club I thought

PHB wrote: »
    Juventus have lots of money to spend I thought? The chairman was looking at completely rebuilding the club I thought

Shush.. Don't ruin it for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

These two perhaps

Sisoko, Alonso, Crouch, Bellamy, Masch if he goes. He sold a lot of his crap buys at a profit too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Shush!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,832 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Harry Rednapp

In backwards land, Harry Redknapp takes job at clubs already in debt.

• Advertisement

Benitez has taken liverpool to 7th in the premier league. Yes thats 7th.

If I wanted a manager to take a once great club to 7th then I would be tempted to go for Benitez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

their worse finish in 11 years iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

2je8qpf.jpg

i voted other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

If I wanted a manager to take a once great club to 7th then I would be tempted to go for Benitez.

Didn't Fergie take his team from finishing 3rd or 4th to a mid table position once? This was of course before he launched his dynasty. The lesson is; hiccups will happen and it would be mental to give a manager the chop over one bad season.

blinding isn't interested in that sort of reasonable debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Didn't Fergie take his team from finishing 3rd or 4th to a mid table position once? This was of course before he launched his dynasty. The lesson is; hiccups will happen and it would be mental to give a manager the chop over one bad season.

He's not Spanish though.

Liverpool slipped down the spending tables really this season. The showing on hte pitch was inevitable.

Liverpool have two superstars (not much less than anyone else) who were missing all season, one from being injured, the other through being shíte. Not much a manager can do about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

and he deserves to the chance to prove it was a horrible mistake.
    Headshot wrote: »
    their worse finish in 11 years iirc

true.

i still expected better of you HS than to twist the knife, even though it was very slight and subtle compared to others. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    2nd to 11th. Maybe twice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,681 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SlickRic wrote: »
    and he deserves to the chance to prove it was a horrible mistake.

true.

i still expected better of you HS than to twist the knife, even though it was very slight and subtle compared to others. ;)
    Looks like i wasnt suble enough :) na iv no interested in putting a knife into pool these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »
    Looks like i wasnt suble enough :) na iv no interested in putting a knife into pool these days

yeah, it's not really worth your while in our current state.

most of us are so down on the club that we do it ourselves anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭damienmcd

Iain Dowie! And then sign Rob Earnshaw to replace Torres when he goes to Chelski. Certain to get relegated then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Staunton is available i hear:D

TheTosh wrote: »
    Staunton is available i hear:D

He can slot in at LB.

Better than the two we have.

Advertisement