Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re plastering

Options
  • 13-12-2009 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

I've bought a pretty old house that in parts needs re plastering. In some parts there is lumps out of the plaster, other places large patches have come off and some other places there is small bits of wallpaper that just refuses to come off (unlike the other siz layers that were put on top of it).

My question is what should I do with the walls? Should I take all the plaster off and start from scratch? Patch up the missing bits and skim over the rest? Can small bits of wallpaper be plastered over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It depends on the condition of the plaster. If there's a lot of loose or missing plaster then it would be better to chip off what's left and replaster. If most of it is sound then you might get away with just patching the gaps. You also need to determine why the plaster fell off in the first place just to rule out serious damp or even crumbling walls.

The walls of old houses are poorly insulated so have you considered drylining them instead? Not only will it give you a nice straight wall that requires little or no skimming but the insulation will save you €s in heating bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Daragh86

I'm going to insulate and slab the external walls of the house, its terraced so only back and front of the house will be done.

As for the plaster chipping off - I think two reasons are mainly the problems, just the age of the plaster (maybe 50/60 years) and from pulling the wallpaper off - but thats my uneducated guess.

I hear there is a newish product out that you can roll on with something similar to a paint roller and its a patch plaster. Does anybody know if this is any use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Don't touch the roll-on stuff, its crap. If you want to go the DIY Route you could use "profin", its about €25 for a massive bucket. But it will only fill gaps a certain depth and will shrink if put into larger gaps. You can become quite good with this stuff and its quite easy to sand afterwards too.

I would get some quotes from plasters to skim the entire place after you put up your insulated slabs on the external walls, you'd be surprised at the cost per room if there's a good bit of work in it for them.

Advertisement