Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Degu training

Options
  • 13-12-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hello,

About two months ago, I got 3 male degus (brothers). I'd only meant to get two, but there were three in the shop and I didn't want to leave one on his own. Anyway, they were about 6 months old when I got them, and they'd been living on display in a pet shop the whole time, so they weren't the friendliest degus I've ever met. I figured that, with time, they'd get used to me.

But for the first couple of weeks, they were able to escape from their cage (indoor rabbit/guinea pig cage, with bars about an inch wide. Bad choice on my part), so I had to chase them around the room every morning to catch them again, which I don't imagine particularly endeared them to me.

I've been trying to get them accustomed to me - at first I just sat by the cage for about an hour each day, with my hand in the cage and a few sunflower seeds in my palm to encourage them to approach me. Now I let them climb out onto my lap.

But they still don't let me touch them. I can't pick them up in my bare hands, or they'll bite me. They run away from me if I move when they're out on the floor. Even when they're eating out of my hand, any movement causes them to bolt.

Am I doing something wrong? What should I do to get them to the stage where I can brush them and examine them for injuries? Do degus ever really like to be petted? The books and websites I've looked at say that you should brush them with a toothbrush, but my guys don't like that at all...

I really want them to like me. Tips please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Hi popecatapetal,

I have never kept Degu's myself but you may have to seperate them if the three of them are males. When they reach sexual maturity they will probably start to fight each other for territory ?
    Sorry to be of no help on the handling issue, as I have never kept them but maybe they need more time to get used to you. The chasing them around had to be stressful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mairead116

Hello,

About two months ago, I got 3 male degus (brothers). I'd only meant to get two, but there were three in the shop and I didn't want to leave one on his own. Anyway, they were about 6 months old when I got them, and they'd been living on display in a pet shop the whole time, so they weren't the friendliest degus I've ever met. I figured that, with time, they'd get used to me.

But for the first couple of weeks, they were able to escape from their cage (indoor rabbit/guinea pig cage, with bars about an inch wide. Bad choice on my part), so I had to chase them around the room every morning to catch them again, which I don't imagine particularly endeared them to me.

I've been trying to get them accustomed to me - at first I just sat by the cage for about an hour each day, with my hand in the cage and a few sunflower seeds in my palm to encourage them to approach me. Now I let them climb out onto my lap.

But they still don't let me touch them. I can't pick them up in my bare hands, or they'll bite me. They run away from me if I move when they're out on the floor. Even when they're eating out of my hand, any movement causes them to bolt.

Am I doing something wrong? What should I do to get them to the stage where I can brush them and examine them for injuries? Do degus ever really like to be petted? The books and websites I've looked at say that you should brush them with a toothbrush, but my guys don't like that at all...

I really want them to like me. Tips please?

Hi i'm new to boards.ie and just seen this post. I got 3 degus yesterday! They are so adorable! Was just wondering how you are getting on with yours since? Are they still as afraid and can you pet them?
    Mine are very very friendly and are just abit wary of coming up onto my hand and being petted but as soon as i open the cage now they are tryin to escape and its only day 2! I'm afraid to let them out altogether in case i lose one of them or something haha!

Advertisement