Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any update on ban wave?

Options
  • 13-12-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Still havent gone online with the xbox, hardly turned the thing on since the ban wave started! any improvements in firmware or anything yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Still havent gone online with the xbox, hardly turned the thing on since the ban wave started! any improvements in firmware or anything yet?

As has been said many times, if you were using modded firmware and on Live any time in say the last 6 months you're probably screwed already, you just dont know it. Flashing to stock or new firmware won't help your cause if MS have your scent :p

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

ha ah well, ill still chance it by updatin before goin back on live! but have there been any updates?

Ajfunky wrote: »
    ha ah well, ill still chance it by updatin before goin back on live! but have there been any updates?

No release of iXtreme LT yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

What would happen if you went on with a newly modded XBOX, that had never been on Live before ? Would it be banned immediately or would you be ok until the next wave of bannings ?

eamonnq wrote: »
    What would happen if you went on with a newly modded XBOX, that had never been on Live before ? Would it be banned immediately or would you be ok until the next wave of bannings ?

It depends on what version of the dashboard you're running. Some games force dashboard updates, and any update done after August 2009 will probably mean you have the subroutine that alerts MS to the presence of an illegal firmware.

There was talk that you could be banned within a few hours.

Don't consider this as a wave, it appeared to be a "wave" because a mass of people got banned. However, I'd still give it an 8 or 9 out of 10 chance that if I went out and bought a new xbox, stuck iX 1.6 on it and went on Live that I'd get banned within the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

How close are people to really "opening" up the 360's software innards, and being able to edit/delete/manipulate the data the MS are able to apparantly read/write to?

For example if a game is played before its release date, which would normally result in a ban, is it a possiblility that someday you will be able to say delete any record of having played said game?

Or edit its played dates?

Just curious about the whole thing, Im not a Live user so doesnt really impact on me.

EnterNow wrote: »
    How close are people to really "opening" up the 360's software innards, and being able to edit/delete/manipulate the data the MS are able to apparantly read/write to?

For example if a game is played before its release date, which would normally result in a ban, is it a possiblility that someday you will be able to say delete any record of having played said game?

Or edit its played dates?

Just curious about the whole thing, Im not a Live user so doesnt really impact on me.

I honestly don't think we're in any way close to opening up the 360's software, there just doesn't seem to be many major breakthroughs. The software has it's flaws, clearly ..but discovering them is slow and Microsoft are very quick to exploit their software-maker advantage whenever a hole is found (take for example the JTAG exploit that's been patched since August).

At the minute even resigning save games or other hard drive content is a pain and not worth the hassle IMO, so I don't believe the hacking/modding scene will really crack the 360 and especially not the dashboard software.

Interesting stuff. Perhaps with the dawning of the PS3 (Hypervisor) and the 360, has seen the demise of traditional type modifications?

You would feel that when the next generation of console lands, it may very well wipe out all forms of homebrew/piracy.

I suppose the security is so tight, it just doesnt pay anyone to really exploit it as was the case with older/less secure consoles. It would seem these newer beasts would require teams of proffesional coders/engineers to get any success - and who's gonna do that for free? Exactly.

Its a pity in a sense, as I really love the feeling of exploring a console to its full potential i.e XBMC, Emmulators on Wii where you dont have to pay extortionate money for 15+ year old games etc etc.

Piracy is a different matter however. I dont think very many people here can claim innocence about piracy at one time or another. But despite that, there is an impact from piracy being felt, certainly in the pc gaming scene. Ultimately the newer consoles tight security does revolve around piracy, unsuccsessfully in the 360's sense. But despite this, I feel the 360's games library is far superior. Logically you would feel that developing for the PS3 only, you would reap the rewards as the system has so far been uncompromised. I think it points at game prices, maybe if a new release was E25 instead of E50/60 the manufacturers wouldnt have to really worry about piracy.

In saying that, piracy is wrong and not condoned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iand77

Guys theres a way to check ur console to see if its banned before ya go online.Here is the steps you dont need a video really its that easy.

Follow this guide: * Unplug hard drive and/or memory unit, * Turn on 360 with ethernet cable/wireless plugged in, * Go to "system settings" in the dashboard, * Click on "Network", * Click on "Test Xbox Live Connection" * Wait for the results, if it asks you to update click CANCEL. * Click on "Y (Yellow)" to get the status report up on screen:

If the status reports the following you ARE banned:

W: 0000-0008
    X: 0000-F001
    Y: 00A8-6820
    Z: 8015-190D (see this = banned) If your Z: is different you are NOT banned.
    ID: 0008-0000

Any other code in the Z: line such as "Z: 8015 - 1002" means you are NOT banned, the only code that means you are banned is "Z: 8015-190D", that is the banned code.

iand77 wrote: »
    Guys theres a way to check ur console to see if its banned before ya go online.Here is the steps you dont need a video really its that easy.

Follow this guide: * Unplug hard drive and/or memory unit, * Turn on 360 with ethernet cable/wireless plugged in, * Go to "system settings" in the dashboard, * Click on "Network", * Click on "Test Xbox Live Connection" * Wait for the results, if it asks you to update click CANCEL. * Click on "Y (Yellow)" to get the status report up on screen:

If the status reports the following you ARE banned:

W: 0000-0008
    X: 0000-F001
    Y: 00A8-6820
    Z: 8015-190D (see this = banned) If your Z: is different you are NOT banned.
    ID: 0008-0000

Any other code in the Z: line such as "Z: 8015 - 1002" means you are NOT banned, the only code that means you are banned is "Z: 8015-190D", that is the banned code.

This is bullsh*t. It doesn't work.

The testing of the connection to xbox live means you will connect to xbox live, thus you will be banned if you are going to be and you will suffer the effects of the ban.

Removing the hard drive doesn't stop crippling functionality, that change is not made on the hard drive it is made on the Dashboard side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 iand77

This is bullsh*t. It doesn't work.

The testing of the connection to xbox live means you will connect to xbox live, thus you will be banned if you are going to be and you will suffer the effects of the ban.

Removing the hard drive doesn't stop crippling functionality, that change is not made on the hard drive it is made on the Dashboard side of things.
    Well it worked for me m8..Watever u think urself...

Z: 8015-190D is the Banned from XBL error code.

But this only happens after youve been disconnected and alerted youve been banned.

cisk wrote: »
    Z: 8015-190D is the Banned from XBL error code.

But this only happens after youve been disconnected and alerted youve been banned.

Makes sense, how else would the unit know its banned? Seems pretty pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

if you really want to know if you're banned and don't want to lose your ability to install games you can enter your serial number in the repair section of the xbox website and see if it's in warranty, if it should be and it's not, you're probably banned.

I just tried to sign in to XBL for the 1st time in 2 months and got banned instantly.:rolleyes:
    Even went to the trouble of putting Non-stealth benQ firmware people say they havnt been banned using.
    Was probably flagged anyway.
    Anyway got to test the new JungleFlasher with x64 compatibility :D All done in win 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

iand77 wrote: »
    Well it worked for me m8..Watever u think urself...

It is bullcrap. We got one of our 360s banned whilst performing that test. It only worked for you because you weren't flagged to be banned at that time.

Ease off on the text speak too...

It is bullcrap. We got one of our 360s banned whilst performing that test. It only worked for you because you weren't flagged to be banned at that time.

Exactly. If you think this "risk-free" test works then you deserve to be banned IMO.

Advertisement