Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RATM Killing in the Name Christmas No.1??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

The radio performance on BBC was fairly funny :pac:
    They apparently promised to play a censored version but sang **** you I won't do what you tell me anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

iamhunted wrote: »
    they wont be. The 'x factor' crowd is the label people, whom you will be making even richer. You've swallowed it - hook, line and sinker. If you *really* wanted to prove a point then it would be an unknown stuggling band that people would be buying, not RATM who coincidentally are working on a new album. Sucker is the only word I can think of.

You've been had.

Take your Joe posters off your bedroom wall you sound like a bitter plonker. I don't give a toss about "label people" I just wanted to **** with all the x-factor crowd who never shut up about it on boards/facebook wherever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Was listening to spin (I know) inthe car this evening and it was number 1 in their chart. Looks like it has a strong possibility of being no. 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The Christmas Number 1 will be decided next thursday in Ireland. It will be decided this Sunday in the UK. Oh and SPIN - what were you thinking!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

The radio performance on BBC was fairly funny :pac:
    They apparently promised to play a censored version but sang **** you I won't do what you tell me anyway :D

"buy Joe's records"
    bitch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Was listening to spin (I know) inthe car this evening and it was number 1 in their chart. Looks like it has a strong possibility of being no. 1

Yeah listening to Spin was definately your first mistake..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I know, shameful stuff. I'll leave now.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

going to be buying this song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

contrived bollix.....they are both on sony label.....marketing excercise to boost sony sales.....that is all.....respect for rage just went way down......

Except all profits that RATM get go to charity and they're also going to play a free concert in the UK if Killing in the name goes to number 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Except all profits that RATM get go to charity and they're also going to play a free concert in the UK if Killing in the name goes to number 1

Didn't Morello say "some" of the profits are going to charity - not all?

Didn't Morello say "some" of the profits are going to charity - not all?

Not sure I could be wrong. I thought it was all profits. Cant remember where I read it. Il try have a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

All the profits from the song being sold on it's own, and some of the profits from the extra album sales is what Morello said on US radio.

It is still a bit of a windfall for the charity that it would not have received otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

contrived bollix.....they are both on sony label.....marketing excercise to boost sony sales.....that is all.....respect for rage just went way down......

Fail. not true if you bothered to do a bit of research. I'm not doing it for you.

Anyway dunno if it's been mention here but Morello has announced this mornin on twitter will be a huge free Rage gig in the UK if it does hit number 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

I could research this myself, but maybe one of you lads already know.
    Isn't the argument about the label orchestrating it kind of bullsthi because there's only a few major labels left and it's just a co inky dink?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭flutes

thats a self-conflicting mentality to have, why had you any respect for them in the first place?
    In the record label's eyes the band are a way to generate profit, as a consequence of that the band have the opportunity for their music to reach a wide audience which otherwise they would not be exposed to.

"Morello said his proceeds from sales would be going towards Youth Music, a charity which helps children work with music who ordinarily could not afford to."

theres also the below which has amassed £50,000 or more so far
    www.justgiving.com/ratm4xmas/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

Are some people suggesting this was an astroturf campaign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

I do feel a bit sorry for Joe. Hate the xfactor, only watch it with the girlfriend, but i thinks its unlucky for him to have just won when xfactor finally suffers a bit of a backlash. He seems like a nice enough guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭flutes

Gerty wrote: »
    I do feel a bit sorry for Joe. Hate the xfactor, only watch it with the girlfriend, but i thinks its unlucky for him to have just won when xfactor finally suffers a bit of a backlash. He seems like a nice enough guy.

ah come one! hes 18 and has just sold 300,000 copies of a song he didn't write
    theres plenty of more deserving people around to feel sorry for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

I was thinking exactly that as i was writing him. There is plenty more people to feel sorry for,he'll still make a lot more money even in the music industry that arguably have bags more talent then he does.but still,it still,it was just a thought i had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

And wasn't his prize a £1m stg record contract,my heart bleeds for him!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

It is not a back lash that he is facing, but just a bit of healthy competion, nothing more. If people claim that it is unfair to launch such a campagne against him then that is just a bit arrogant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Well, he's doing a lot better now than the rest of the Karoke singers around Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

From Joe himself:
    X Factor winner Joe McElderry has blasted the LA political rockers claiming they're not even good enough to "get through boot camp on the X factor."
    "They're just shouting!" he told The Sun. "They can't be serious! I had no idea what it sounded like [before]. It's dreadful and I hate it.
    "How could anyone enjoy this?" he added. "Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch? I wouldn't buy it. It's a naught out of ten from me."

http://www2.kerrang.com/2009/12/rage_to_play_massive_free_gig.html

Ha! sounds like he's a bit scared alright.
    Would love to see his face if rage get the number one, just the fact that he has come in second to people who are not good enough to "get through boot camp on the X factor.":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=2228594104&topic=14532
    To begin with, please don't make multiple accounts with this, there's no reason why all 850,000 can't create one account and the charts company cant hassle us about bulk buying!

If you don't have a Credit Card and want to support Rage for free, there's still a way and I have confirmed with the Charts Company that its eligible!*

1) Go to http://www.nokiamusic.co.uk/ Download and install the player on the main page insuring you select UK when it gives you the setup options!

2) Open the program and click "Join Now", Click "Join Nokia Music", fill out the details to create the account (No credit card details are needed)

4) Go to the main Store page and to the left you will see a box that says "Redeem Pin" Click on "Continue"

5) Enter ONE random of these codes, doesn't matter which one! Each one will give you £4 free credit and that's all you need to buy all 5 versions of the song, you can get up to £16 worth if you use all the codes, but please don't as Nokia may pull it if its abused!

WQLN-WDTM-V4J4-6GZZ
    MJYM-JM2R-DWVQ-6PYG
    GGP6-XC53-YYFL-PHM6
    VLBV-MPBX-XDNQ-F79V

6) Search for: Rage Against The Machine - Killing in the name of

7) Click the Orange down arrow next to each of the songs, then click the blue tick.

Congratulations you have just contributed [=

Thanks to the others who found this method! Now lets spread the word!

*I rang The Official UK Charts Company to see if tracks bought from Nokia Ovi Player are still eligible for the UK top 40 singles chart. They confirmed that they are as long as its bought with a UK account!

I used this to download it for free, if you put "Killing in the name" in the search box you'll find 5 different versions of the song (clean,explicit,live etc.) so you can download each version once with the £4 credit.

*Remember to set your location as UK when signing up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Wow. What an idiot.I didn't really have anything against him, but shooting your mouth off like that and insulting actual musicians who write their own stuff as opposed to having it spoonfed to you is pretty prickish behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

dunno why people are feeling sorry for that chap, there's a thing on the Sun website showing him throw darts at a picture of Zach de la Rocha!
    that link above works great just downloaded 5 different versions of the track for the UK chart:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

flutes wrote: »
    thats a self-conflicting mentality to have, why had you any respect for them in the first place?
    In the record label's eyes the band are a way to generate profit, as a consequence of that the band have the opportunity for their music to reach a wide audience which otherwise they would not be exposed to.

"Morello said his proceeds from sales would be going towards Youth Music, a charity which helps children work with music who ordinarily could not afford to."

theres also the below which has amassed £50,000 or more so far
    www.justgiving.com/ratm4xmas/

they are both on the sony label...read between the lines.......morello said the reason they are doing is... "'It's trying to save the UK pop charts for this abyss of bland mediocrity"........this is a masterstroke by sony in my opinion....fooled you if you buy it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

they are both on the sony label...read between the lines.......morello said the reason they are doing is... "'It's trying to save the UK pop charts for this abyss of bland mediocrity"........this is a masterstroke by sony in my opinion....fooled you if you buy it....

wow. if you've ever bought an album by anyone, then you're a hypocrite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Poor Joe, he's starting at the top, the future will only bring a rapid decline in his fortunes.
    R.A.T.M. started working hard with small gigs, their following growing through many years of hard work and original material.:cool:
    Joe can only dream of selling as many albums as R.A.T.M. worldwide and having a career that will last as long.

Advertisement