Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RATM Killing in the Name Christmas No.1??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭stringbox

It's beauty vs brilliance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

they are both on the sony label...read between the lines.......morello said the reason they are doing is... "'It's trying to save the UK pop charts for this abyss of bland mediocrity"........this is a masterstroke by sony in my opinion....fooled you if you buy it....

this is plain daft. if i were to buy it i'd hardly need you to point out that sony are taking a cut, so why am i fooled? have you ever bought a record yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭flutes

they are both on the sony label...read between the lines.......morello said the reason they are doing is... "'It's trying to save the UK pop charts for this abyss of bland mediocrity"........this is a masterstroke by sony in my opinion....fooled you if you buy it....

why are some people so begrudging of Sony making loads of money?
    that seems to be a massive issue with a lot of people you talk to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

flutes wrote: »
    why are some people so begrudging of Sony making loads of money?
    that seems to be a massive issue with a lot of people you talk to

Some people seem to think that the money sony get will all go to Simon Cowell :pac:

Yet most of the money is going to charity :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

im not normally one for buying into hype-media frenzy.. but i'll be buying the single. Just for the sh!ts and giggles..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

From Joe himself:

http://www2.kerrang.com/2009/12/rage_to_play_massive_free_gig.html

Ha! sounds like he's a bit scared alright.
    Would love to see his face if rage get the number one, just the fact that he has come in second to people who are not good enough to "get through boot camp on the X factor.":D

Lol !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

2e3vnu9.jpg

Simon Cowell's Syco records is a subdivision of Sony. His acts account for 40% of Sony UKs profits. (JLS, Alexandra, Susan Boyle, Westlife, Leona Lewis, Sinita etc.)

RATM are nothing to do with Simon Cowell or Syco. So he gets nothing. Yes, Sony will get profits and RATM get royalties. Their royalties are going to charity. People buying the single also decided to donate to Shelter and raised in excess of £60,000.

Now, Simon has reduced Joe's single to 29p in a desperate attempt to shift copies. He'll make even less. (Why people aren't just downloading for free I don't know...) It's all round brilliant! :)

contrived bollix.....they are both on sony label.....marketing excercise to boost sony sales.....that is all.....respect for rage just went way down......
    stringbox wrote: »
    I could research this myself, but maybe one of you lads already know.
    Isn't the argument about the label orchestrating it kind of bullsthi because there's only a few major labels left and it's just a co inky dink?

Almost every act that appeared as a guest performer on X Factor is signed to Sony or to Syco (Simon Cowell's Sony label)

Lady Gaga appeared and went to number 1 that week.

Other guests with singles due that week were: Shakira, Black Eyed Peas, Susan Boyle, JLS, Alexandra, Cheryl Cole, Susan Boyle, Westlife, Rihanna, Robbie Williams, Mariah Carey... Most got number ones

The Irish Christmas Chart at this moment, out of the TOP 20 has 8 acts that are signed to Syco, and the rest are signed to Sony(apart from 3 acts!!)

Yes, RATM are Sony also (coincidence or overlooked error if you ask me). But Sony really don't need any publicity or label orchestration over the Christmas number 1. If it isn't the X Factor finalist it will be another Sony act.

X Factor is just one huge advertising campaign for Simon Cowell's and Sony's acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

**** yeah!! come on Rage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Feckin' legends,Get in!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mcloughj

now if we can get them to No.1 in the irish charts too that'd be awesome!

mcloughj wrote: »
    now if we can get them to No.1 in the irish charts too that'd be awesome!

Todays result my give that campaign some new impetus!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

RATM get the UK Christmas No1, fantastic!

It's no. 3 at the moment, buy it here: 7 Digital Ireland (track 2)

You have to sign up but can buy with paypal, CC or laser. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

cant believe it got to number 1!:D Brad was interviewed on sky news a few mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Can anyone give me a direct link (.ie) to the song - need to pass it on to some not i-savy friends, i.e. - click on this and buy (and at the .29c rate)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Good game lads, well played.

Now, what song do we want for no.1 nwxt year?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Good game lads, well played.

Now, what song do we want for no.1 nwxt year?:D

None,this is a one off thing. Tons of copy-cat groups are going to show up next year and it won't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Maybe an actual proper Christmas song would be nice like Fairytale of New York.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

RonMexico wrote: »

Great song and all but wouldn't have the same momentum, I listened to the Christmas count down on BBC and when they played RATM there was almost tears in my eyes!

None,this is a one off thing. Tons of copy-cat groups are going to show up next year and it won't work.

There's a new group started on Facebook trying to get the Sex Pistols "God save the queen" to number one for the queens birthday next june.:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

There has been similar campaigns for the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    There has been similar campaigns for the last few years.

Yeah and they never got anywhere, this one just got lucky and happened to get a fair bit of media coverage. The fact that it won means that already people are jumping on the bandwagon and making groups for next year.

Found another one on facebook,get Pearl Jam's "last kiss" to #1 for valentines day!!

They're all at it now!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

"Joe McElderry has branded Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' "dreadful" after finally hearing his chart nemesis.

The star, who is currently 11,000 sales ahead of the Los Angeles band with 'The Climb', said he hated the track.

"They can't be serious!" he said. "I had no idea what it sounded like. It's dreadful and I hate it. How could anyone enjoy this? Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch?

"I wouldn't buy it. It's a nought out of ten from me. Simon Cowell wouldn't like it. They wouldn't get through to boot camp on The X Factor - they're just shouting."

Simon Cowell has already branded the Facebook campaign to get Rage Against The Machine to the UK singles Christmas Number One slot ahead of Joe McElderry "very Scrooge".

The X Factor mogul claimed that despite the campaign to get 'Killing In The Name' to the top spot the reality TV show winner would still be victorious.

Now, McElderry has defended Cowell and said his own track deserves to be Christmas Number One.

He told The Sun:"I think people are jumping on this to have a go at Simon and The X Factor rather than me. But Simon gives people a shot."

"I will be really disappointed if it doesn't go to No1 after all the effort I've put in to this and winning the show."

I enjoyed the highlighted parts most of all !

First, the man articulates that he is no ecclectic. He cannot appreciate music outside of his own "pop idol" bubble.

Second, some of the lyrics of "Killing in the Name" will endure far longer then any knock off of Miley Cyrus. It is not his song. The victorious song belongs to RATM, and all those who quote the immortal "fcuk you i wont do what you tell me" !!!

Third, effort and a victory on X Factor should not be an automatic number 1. RATM, and associated acts such as Audioslave have been around for longer then Joe has even been alive.

The whole thing reeks of sour grapes on Joe'spart, and it makes the RATM victory even more enjoyable !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Exactly it is a big kick up the hole to the whole "I am entitled to it" mentality that exists across every facet of society these days.

Frankly you aren't entitled to jackshit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

God no, I hate hearing those songs every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Exactly it is a big kick up the hole to the whole "I am entitled to it" mentality that exists across every facet of society these days.

Frankly you aren't entitled to jackshit.

Bang on Ron.....

it's so sad that the majority of big manufactured pop bands are no releasing cover songs and claiming them to be their own - and they are just karaoke versions (take Westlife murdering the Daughtry track and at no point in their promotional campaign have they mentioned it's not their song...)

covering a Miley Cyrus song isn't exactly what the grandmas want to listen to either......this poor sap is standing up for a man in Cowell that will be cancelling his contract in about 12 months time......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I just think it'd ridiculous that all the X-factor people are acting as if Joe was entitled to win because of his hard work. They think that every year it's going to get to number 1 no matter what and unfortunately it's true. They could have picked any song to cover, and anybody could have one but it would have went to number 1 regardless.

I just think it's good that people are sending out a message, as Tom Morello said, that alot of people are sick of mediocrity.

Advertisement