Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the best antivirus

• 13-12-2009 11:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

im just wondering if anyone can reccommend what the best free antivirus type software is, iv just downloaded microsoft security essentials, or does anyone have any they think is better? maybe they are all pretty much the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭roberthurley14

get AVG free from cnet if u want a free one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

do not install avg free

they still do not detect virut, sality ( possibly the worst virus you can get, discovered in april, i reported them a few times to avg who didn't reply ) yet the full avg does detect them

microsoft security essentials is the best free av at the moment, no popus, and doens't slow pc

enjoy http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Been testing Microsoft's AV and while it may not be the best in the world,

it does its job well and i have had no issues with it an ony of the test machines.

Win XP, Vista or 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Best antivirus" is like "best car" - they all pick up different things so switching between them and also running online scans from Kaspersky, Trendmicro and others could be a good idea. Malwarebytes is good too.
    If you're not good at computers and just want one that sits there and handles most things; AVG, Avast or Eset. You want it free don't you?
    I use a Sygate firewall, Spybot S&D and occasional online scans. All free and I never had hassle, touch wood.

Remember, you'll minimise the risk simply by using common sense on the net and not download/click on anything you're not sure of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

spybot S&D, is all i use and ive been hassle free for over a year.......whatever you chose make sure it contains the host file in its registry then you can't go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

Prey project lets you keep track of your smartphone(android mobile / iphone) or laptop or computer at all times, and will help you find it if it ever gets lost or stolen. It's lightweight, open source antitheft software/shareware, and free for anyone to use. If your smartphone(android mobile / iphone) or laptop or computer gets stole, you can use prey to track down who stole it and report the thief to the police and get your smartphone(android mobile / iphone) or laptop or computer back. And you could annoy the robber with alarm siren and you only knows the password to turn off the siren because everytime the burglar turns on your smartphone(android mobile / iphone) or laptop or computer the alarm siren go off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭scorn

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    Prey project lets you keep track of your smartphone(android mobile / iphone) or laptop or computer at all times...

hmm - nothing to do with this post - can there be a vested interest in it.

The firewall would be my active prevention as it stops both intrusions and also things trying to communicate out from the computer.

Since my first post in 2009 I've relented to MSSE, seems to work fine on my system.

Do you have a suggestion for a good program?
    What I use have been good so far *touch wood* but I'n always open for suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I think the idea is that you can not just rely on one thing.

1. Most important. Make sure you are up to day on security updates. (Not just MS updates but also application updates)
    2. Have a decent Anti-virus. No real bad ones out there.
    3. Use a firewall.
    4. Dont be gullible.

Shane

• Advertisement
Advertisement