Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

public sector, paid lunch breaks

Options
  • 13-12-2009 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

I have heard rumors that alot of public sector employees get paid for their lunch break. So if they have 30 minutes lunch break it is still paid for. Is this true or not for most PS employees?

If they do have paid lunch breaks you could start by scrapping them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

Give it up. Their wages have been cut. You will have to wait till next years budget to get any more :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Um, isn't everyone entitled to a set amount of breaks during the working day?

Are you saying that these guys get paid an extra, say 40 minutes in the average working day of eight hours?

(Having said that, the short working week is a joke, as are the crazy hours forced upon some frontliners in the HSE).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Never heard of a HSE or CS worker with a paid lunch. Cannot comment on the entire Public Service entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭daisydotty

i work in the public sector (attendant in a hospital) and i mostly do 8-430 mon to fri.i do not get paid for my 30 minute lunch break.so there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

They also eat swans during their paid breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

SLUSK wrote: »
    I have heard rumors

Enough said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

Um, isn't everyone entitled to a set amount of breaks during the working day?

Are you saying that these guys get paid an extra, say 40 minutes in the average working day of eight hours?

(Having said that, the short working week is a joke, as are the crazy hours forced upon some frontliners in the HSE).

I think you are entitled by law to a paid break of up to 30 minutes, but that does not mean that you have to have a paid lunch break as well to give the employees a paid break for 1 hour.

Missed that part.

There's enough wastage in the country as a whole without making stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Anyone I know in the public sector clocks out for lunch so they dont get paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm 22 years in the PS and have never heard of anyone getting a paid meal break.

• Advertisement

I think you are entitled by law to a paid break of up to 30 minutes, but that does not mean that you have to have a paid lunch break as well to give the employees a paid break for 1 hour.

I haven't heard anything to that effect tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

I haven't heard anything to that effect tbh.
    In my job when I lived in Ireland, you had 2x 15 minutes break which were paid for and one 30 minute lunch break. I don't think they would have given us these paid mini breaks if it was not required by law...

I know you are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rollerdisco

Open season on the public service is over when the Gov come looking for money cap in hand everyone will get hit except the bankers and their mates the developers

Open season on the public service is over when the Gov come looking for money cap in hand everyone will get hit except the bankers and their mates the developers

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

I have heard rumors that alot of public sector employees get paid for their lunch break. So if they have 30 minutes lunch break it is still paid for. Is this true or not for most PS employees?

most are being paid a salary...so no!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

FFS another pubic sector bashing thread..... when is this going to end??

What I want to know is when will the NAMA "bashing" thread start. Will the same anger that went into some of the PS bashing threads be there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Only if on lunchduty in which case just about anything can happen me! It's not worth what little we get considering at this stage I'm giving over half it back to bail out those who gave damn all of a care about me when they were raking in their big bucks. So in answer to your question, not unless working hard for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭West Briton

Public sector workers would cry like babbies if they had to work under the conditions many of us in the private sector deal with.

1. My pension is worth only a fifth of what was paid into it before it was suspended last year
    2. My pay package was cut by 20%
    3. Poxy conditions - have no Union I can run to over bad tempered and impatient owner/managers.

The public sector are pampered, even after the budget, and they can't see it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭strangeloop

Yes, and they also make baby Jesus cry. Get over it, it's getting boring now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

rumours?, oh go on do tell us more:rolleyes:
    a lot of PS employees, how many is a lot.

The answer is no, PS workers don't get paid lunch breaks.
    Redirects those interested to my own threads.
    Only if you're interested mind you.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055766904
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749678
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055763725
    maybe even Scofflaw might respond to one of em.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭To The North

bobbyjoe wrote: »
    They also eat swans during their paid breaks.

not just any swans though, it has to be baby swans, that's just how evil we are :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Also a rumour - Public service workers are similar to hobbits so they get all the following breaks:

breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and (later in the evening) supper.

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    Also a rumour - Public service workers are similar to hobbits so they get all the following breaks:

breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and (later in the evening) supper.
    oh yeah I nearly forgot, everything is served on silver platters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Pathetic attempt by OP to have a dig at public service workers. I'm in the private sector and get paid for my lunch break. Should my wages be slashed?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Quick!! Scrap the paid lunch breaks enjoyed by those rumoured millions - that'll surely be enough to pull the country out of recession...

Christ - good job you're not the minister for finance...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yeah, I think the public service needs cost reductions and efficiency reforms (and probably a crapload of middle management being demoted or kicked out), but if it's gotten to the point where people are whinging about paid lunch breaks, we've jumped the shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Bullsh!t

Heard a rumour that private sector workers get paid bonuses at Christmas. Also heard that they have office Christmas parties :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Public sector workers would cry like babbies if they had to work under the conditions many of us in the private sector deal with.

1. My pension is worth only a fifth of what was paid into it before it was suspended last year
    2. My pay package was cut by 20%
    3. Poxy conditions - have no Union I can run to over bad tempered and impatient owner/managers.

The public sector are pampered, even after the budget, and they can't see it!

Why did'nt you join the public sector 5 years ago so?

• Advertisement

Ste.phen wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the public service needs cost reductions and efficiency reforms (and probably a crapload of middle management being demoted or kicked out), but if it's gotten to the point where people are whinging about paid lunch breaks, we've jumped the shark.
    Paid lunch breaks don't exist. Period.
    What does it mean "to jump the shark"?

Advertisement