Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few questions

Options
  • 14-12-2009 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

hi there,
    I'm just wondering what is the age limit for buying a rifle/air rifle in ireland?
    i've being shooting for a while now with my uncle's gun's and i think its time i got my own . if i get a gun would i be able to keep it in his gun safe rather then buying my own?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

16 to have your own. Although iv heard of a few people saying they were refused at 16. You can get a learners permit on your uncles gun if your 14.
    I presume your not living with your uncle but the gun can be stored there. Iv moved recently and my gun is still at the home place. Im not sure about being allowed keep it in your Uncles safe though as he would have access to it and he wouldnt be licenced on it. Thats what i think but i wouldnt be certain on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

Dusty87 wrote: »
    16 to have your own. Although iv heard of a few people saying they were refused at 16. You can get a learners permit on your uncles gun if your 14.
    I presume your not living with your uncle but the gun can be stored there. Iv moved recently and my gun is still at the home place. Im not sure about being allowed keep it in your Uncles safe though as he would have access to it and he wouldnt be licenced on it. Thats what i think but i wouldnt be certain on it.
    i'm currently 17 and 18 in july so i can go and try buying a rilfe then because i was told that you had to be 21 for a rifle/air rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Why dont you ask your uncle if he'd let you dual license his gun, that way you could legally use the gun, at the moment if your caught with his gun firing it you'll get in a lot of trouble as firearms law in this country is quite strict, plus members of the Gardai visit this site.

Another option is to shoot at a clay range, they can legally rent you a club gun for an evening and you would not need to be directly licensed to the gun your using because they are licensed by the cops to do this.

Another option is to join your local NARGC game/ hunting club, this will give you shooting cover in case you have an accident and also reason in the eyes of the cops to license your own gun, you make new friends and learn where theres good places to hunt locally etc.

I dont think another person can store a gun that they are not directly licensed to, as they would then have access to it.

If you get caught using his gun he will lose his license, plus your risking a firearms offence, be careful.

Any accident you may have whilst carrying his gun makes him lible for the damages as he is the legal owner and thus responcable for it's end usage.

I'd go for a dual unlimited license and then in time buy your own, you could store the gun at his house and be licensed to it, I had that arrangement myself for a few years with a shotgun when subsequent shotgun licenses were only 6/ 7 euro a year.

I wish you many years of safe hunting, welcome to the shooting world.

HJ:)

i was told that you had to be 21 for a rifle/air rifle.

No its 16 although it would help if you had a safety course done and are a member of a club. Not sure where the 21 age came from but it is 16. Just make sure you've everything in order on the applications forms

happyjack wrote: »

I dont think another person can store a gun that they are not directly licensed to, as they would then have access to it.

But if the uncle dosnt have access to it im sure he can HappyJack. If in a seperate safe which the irishguy only has access to. My gun is at the home place in a safe. The house is a lot safer than mine and i am the only one with keys to the safe. Was told by the FO to leave it there when i moved.

• Advertisement

i'm living in a housing estate and we are renting the house so we dont really want to be drilling holes in the walls as for my uncles safe he's moving to dublin and hes selling his guns so he said i could use he's safe there's only one key and its well hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

Hi TheIrishGuy, I know of two Air Rifles .22 for sale, an Login Sweet 16 like new in the box and a RWS Excalibur also mint both come with scopes and suppressors You should Google them and see what you think only for sale because of lack of use
    Regards T :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

TheIrishGuy, what part of the country are you in? There may be a shooting club nearby that would be a better idea, especially if your uncle is moving and won't be around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    TheIrishGuy, what part of the country are you in? There may be a shooting club nearby that would be a better idea, especially if your uncle is moving and won't be around.
    homer-doh-square.jpg

theirishguy
    blue_star_1.gif

Cartoons_-_Taz.gif

:D

rrpc wrote: »
    homer-doh-square.jpg

theirishguy
    blue_star_1.gif

Cartoons_-_Taz.gif

:D

Ask Sparks can you have a loan of his Double Facepalm picture:D

• Advertisement

That was more a D'Oh than a double-facepalm :D
    And now that we've noticed what the OP was saying about where he is, perhaps someone from the clubs near him would care to volunteer to help bring a new shooter into the sport?

Sparks wrote: »
    That was more a D'Oh than a double-facepalm :D
    And now that we've noticed what the OP was saying about where he is, perhaps someone from the clubs near him would care to volunteer to help bring a new shooter into the sport?

I suppose it was:D
    Which is it wants to do? Air rifle or rifle??

That's down to the OP Dusty, but for enniscorthy I'd say he's more likely to find a club that can manage smallbore than one which can manage air.

hi there guys thank you all very much for taking the time to post!
    yes i'm living in enniscorthy co. wexford i was looking for a starter rifle i had my eye on a cz 452 for €395 or what would you guys recommend and how long is the waiting list/period?

hi there guys thank you all very much for taking the time to post!
    yes i'm living in enniscorthy co. wexford i was looking for a starter rifle i had my eye on a cz 452 for €395 or what would you guys recommend and how long is the waiting list/period?

No problem. Im more a shotgun man so dont know much about rifles only im looking at a CZ and anyone iv asked has recommended them.
    I think the time waiting for your licence vary's from area to area

Im more a shotgun man
    yup i use a mossberg 500 (don't jeer me XD)

just a quick question.
    would it be harder for me to get a license because i'm living in a built up area but i don't actually live in the town.

just a quick question.
    would it be harder for me to get a license because i'm living in a built up area but i don't actually live in the town.
    It shouldn't be, so long as you're shooting somewhere else.

hey there guys sorry to bother you guys again,
    just wondering what type of rile you guys would recommended for a starter with the price range of 400 max.

Thats what the forums for:)
    What quarry would you be using the rifle for?

• Advertisement

Thats what the forums for:)
    What quarry would you be using the rifle for?
    i dont know what quarry means but i think i know what your on about i would be using it for rabbits

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Have you tried the Wanted/For Sale section.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055702776
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

i dont know what quarry means but i think i know what your on about i would be using it for rabbits

My friend has a .17hmr for exactly that. Great rifle.
    A .22 maybe better for you if you wanted to chance your arm at the odd fox when you get used to it.

......A .22 maybe better for you if you wanted to chance your arm at the odd fox when you get used to it.

Do you mean a .22 centrefire?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    Have you tried the Wanted/For Sale section.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055702776
    yeh i was looking at that one.
    i was looking at the CZ 452 with 4X40 hawke sport hd scope on
    http://patrickcarleyfirearms.com/rifles-for-sale.html
    got one more question what is the difference between rimfire and centerfire riles?

Rimfire bullets fire after being struck by the firing pin on the rim of the bullet.

ch2_01.gif&usg=AFQjCNEkZgL4Oj3iu_EfW_aJc203W8CiAg

Centrefire ammunition is just that. It has a primer cap located in the centre of the casing that must be struck by the firing pin to ignite the powder and fire the bullet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

yup i use a mossberg 500 (don't jeer me XD)

I've gota OMF woodland camo Mossberg 500 series turkey gun with a 24 inch ribbed barrel that takes interchangeable chokes, I've had semi's and over and unders down through the years, but I've traded them in and always kept my mossy, they're a really good knock about gun for the money, to my mind they are the best design pump on the market, top mounted safety, open frame shell lifter that allows you to load two rounds at a time into the mag tube, disconnectors right where you need it so you can eject the first round quickly if you wana swop to the second cartridge, great gun.

I used mine to shoot DTL clays for a few years, it kept me in A section, not bad for a pump, great game gun also.

I'd advice getting a sling for it or keeping the action visably open, maybe even with a neck scarf through the breach when shooting at clay grounds or with other old timers. Semi's and pumps can look a bit dangerous to other shooters, so it's best to do what ever you can to make it obivous the gun is 100% safe empty, when not in use.

The Mossbergs a brilliant pump, I had a mossberg semi auto for awhile to, and that was a great gun also.

I'd suggest a CZ/ BRNO model 452 22lr rifle, you can pick up a second hand one in good nick fairly easy, it's best to buy one that screw cut from the get go as it's a pain having to get the barrel threaded at a later date.

Another really good started gun is the Crossman 177 pump up air rifle, their really cheap to buy and very very accurate, no spring to wear out, no noise, great for varmint shooting and ammo is about 7squid for 500 pellets.

Really wish you well with your chosen sport, keep asking questions, thats what I did and still do, it's one thing reading a shooting mag or book another thing listening to someone who has actually done it.

Do you live in a city or where?

All the best,

HJ:)

thank you ezridax i always wondered what was the difference. i noticed that center fire rifles cost a lot more then rimfire.

happyjack
    i live in a small town called enniscorthy its about 20 miles from wexford
    i'm thinking very strongly about getting a cz452 but i'm broke atm so it will be sometime before i can some money together =)

[MOD NOTE]
    Google Maps link showing location of poster's home removed.

thank you ezridax i always wondered what was the difference. i noticed that center fire rifles cost a lot more then rimfire.

They do. So does the ammunition. It is down to the manufacturing. A centrefire needs to be more resistant to the forces exerted on it by the larger bullet. The barrel needs to stand the test of the copper (and other coated/shelled) rounds being fired through it. Most rimfire bullets are coated in a wax (or similar type substance) and are made from lead which is soft and malleable and cause less "damage" or wear and tear to the barrel. Alot of rimfires (especially the heavy barrelled ones) will outlast the shooter. As in, a centrefire rifle would be good for 5,000 rounds on average (except the custom barrels- 1200). A rimfire, well i've yet to see one "burnt out" so i couldn't even guess at the amount it would take to wear out a barrel.
    happyjack
    i live in a small town called enniscorthy its about 20 miles from wexford
    here is my housing estate on <SNIP> XD

Sorry if this is back seat modding (its not intended) but this is an open forum, i wouldn't be too keen on pin pointing your location. Just a thought.

i'm thinking very strongly about getting a cz452 but i'm broke atm so it will be sometime before i can some money together =)

You cannot go wrong with a CZ. I think the majority of people even the target shooters have started with this rifle. Its cheap, easy to use and as accurate as you like for a rifle of its price. I shot one for 14 years and throughout buying, selling and trading kept it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Advertisement

ezridax wrote: »
    They do. So does the ammunition. It is down to the manufacturing. A centrefire needs to be more resistant to the forces exerted on it by the larger bullet. The barrel needs to stand the test of the copper (and other coated/shelled) rounds being fired through it. Most rimfire bullets are coated in a wax (or similar type substance) and are made from lead which is soft and malleable and cause less "damage" or wear and tear to the barrel. Alot of rimfires (especially the heavy barrelled ones) will outlast the shooter. As in, a centrefire rifle would be good for 5,000 rounds on average (except the custom barrels- 1200). A rimfire, well i've yet to see one "burnt out" so i couldn't even guess at the amount it would take to wear out a barrel.

Sorry if this is back seat modding (its not intended) but this is an open forum, i wouldn't be too keen on pin pointing your location. Just a thought.

You cannot go wrong with a CZ. I think the majority of people even the target shooters have started with this rifle. Its cheap, easy to use and as accurate as you like for a rifle of its price. I shot one for 14 years and throughout buying, selling and trading kept it.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

very sorry for posting the link but its not a pin point location because there is over 300 houses and again VERY Sorry for posting its my own stupidity sorry.

Advertisement