Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

+1 for a CZ .22. I started with one of these as did a lot of lads and it is a great way to learn

Also, very very cheap for ammo compared to a centrefire, which will bleed you dry while you are trying to hone your skills in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

hey there guys,
    just got another few question's that's being bugging me =)
    when i go to a gun shop to get a rifle do i have to pay all at once or can i pay here and there?
    should i get the safe first before i apply for the gun?
    would it be wise to apply for a mod since i'm only starting out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

hey there guys,
    just got another few question's that's being bugging me =)
    when i go to a gun shop to get a rifle do i have to pay all at once or can i pay here and there?

depends on the RFD john lambert will take a deposit of you and you can pay the rest off when your waiting for the licence.

you could also put a desposit on the safe and get it out when the cpo contacts you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Most dealers require a deposit. The balance to be paid on collection of the firearm. If you want you can pay a bit at a time but my advice would be to put the money aside (at home) and then pay the balance when you have the license and money. Even if you have the license and not all the money explain your situation to the dealer, most will wait for the sale. DO NOT pay all the money up front. Its your guarantee in case anything goes wrong, gun wise, license wise, etc.

If its your first gun get a note from your dealer saying you have paid a deposit on a safe. Attach the note with your application and on a seperate sheet explain you will have it paid for and installed prior to collection of the firearm on successful completion of the application. Or you could make a deal with your dealer that you will buy the safe and ask would he buy it back if your application is unsuccessful. You will know best which option is better.

Yes. You are entitled to apply regardless of previous experience or lack there of. If your reason for requiring one is valid you will get it. If not you won't.

Best of luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

thank you very much guys for all the help very much appreciated.
    i was looking on a few websites and i came across this
    for €135 its dead cheap what do you guys think?

• Advertisement

3 things would concern me there.

1- The price. That old adgae "you get what you pay for" always has some truth to it. What can you reasonably expect for €135.

2 - The condition. It says reasonabe condition. Most dealers (as with cars) will say its in great condition and when you arrive to view it they will explain away any faults or marks.

3 - The picture. This ties in with the description. It says reasonable condition and comes with a scope, yet the picture would seem to be of a rifle from the mossberg website or some other site and not of the actual rifle.

E-mail them and ask for extra pics of the rifle with scope attached. Just be careful thats all. Even for €135 its still money to be lost if it turns out to be a lemon.

Remember, In God we trust, everyone else we check out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    3 things would concern me there.

1- The price. That old adgae "you get what you pay for" always has some truth to it. What can you reasonably expect for €135.

2 - The condition. It says reasonabe condition. Most dealers (as with cars) will say its in great condition and when you arrive to view it they will explain away any faults or marks.

3 - The picture. This ties in with the description. It says reasonable condition and comes with a scope, yet the picture would seem to be of a rifle from the mossberg website or some other site and not of the actual rifle.

E-mail them and ask for extra pics of the rifle with scope attached. Just be careful thats all. Even for €135 its still money to be lost if it turns out to be a lemon.

Remember, In God we trust, everyone else we check out.
    yep i just sent a email now hopefully they reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I don't think thats a mossberg looks more like a CZ to me. In fact many of the pics are not actually the correct rifle for the description!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

There are some pictures of the various models of Mossberg .22 rifles here. The one on that site is definitely a CZ which is extremely sloppy and misleading.

On that basis alone, I wouldn't go within an inch of that site to buy anything. :(

You won't beat a CZ for price, reliability and practicality, I've never heard anyone complain about them and I have mine over twenty years.

Was thinking something similar rrpc, CJ, but as i've never seen or used a mossberg .22 i did not want to dismiss it. It does seem slightly odd to advertise a certain rifle and show a picture of not only a different rifle but a completely different make.

Caveat emptor.

• Advertisement

hey there, got an other question you guys might be able to answer.
    i was looking at a krico rifle and was wonder what are your thoughts about this make of rifle?
    the one i was looking at today was krico semi-auto .22 and its threaded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

Ahem... Ruger 10/22.... ahem....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

what are your thoughts about this make of rifle?
    Someone was on a few weeks back looking to try to get the krico to group properly on a target. Even in manual mode, it wouldn't. Got to go with earlier posters - for target work, stick with an anschutz in a target stock, either a 19-series (the match 54 action) or a 20-series (the newer action). For whacking bunnies and the like, the CZ's are probably a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ahem... Ruger 10/22.... ahem....
    Ahem... useless crap piece of rifle that won't shoot accurately until you've replaced every moving part in it and two-thirds of the non-moving parts, after which it's only about the same as a proper rifle bought for less money... ahem...

i just got offered a cz 452 with a 4x40 scope, its threaded,bipod all for 395 i'm going to see about it tomorrow.

Sparks wrote: »
    Ahem... useless crap piece of rifle that won't shoot accurately until you've replaced every moving part in it and two-thirds of the non-moving parts, after which it's only about the same as a proper rifle bought for less money... ahem...

Pffft, firearms elitism :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

I had one (10/22) many years ago, standard, shot LOTS of bunnies with it, never let me down :confused:

Sparks wrote: »
    ............ rifle that won't shoot accurately until you've replaced every moving part in it and two-thirds of the non-moving parts, ..........

Read this and had a quiet laugh to myself. Remember talking to a few lads a couple of months ago and one of them was singing the praises of his 10/22. When he showed us it, he told us how he replaced the trigger after a "little while", then after another "little while" the action was customised, then the stock (after a little while) then just about every other piece. By the time he finished telling us about it, one of the lads had to ask, "you must have the original rifle at home so". Not very kind but funny as hell.

I had one (10/22) many years ago, standard, shot LOTS of bunnies with it, never let me down :confused:

Amen to that, quite the accurate little gun. Won't put ten shots in one hole :rolleyes: but will put plenty in Mr. Bunny's head given the shooter has the requisite skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Amen to that, quite the accurate little gun. Won't put ten shots in one hole :rolleyes: but will put plenty in Mr. Bunny's head given the shooter has the requisite skill.

I wouldn't call it accurate, not any I've used. A rather nice looking jazzed up one wouldn't do better than an inch and a half at 25 yards. Pretty poor altogether. Doesn't look like it'd do ten shots into one hole at ten yards. So it remains to be asked, you call it accurate, but if all you're looking to do is hold minute of bunny head, then are you really looking for any sort of accuracy?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call it accurate, not any I've used. A rather nice looking jazzed up one wouldn't do better than an inch and a half at 25 yards. Pretty poor altogether. Doesn't look like it'd do ten shots into one hole at ten yards. So it remains to be asked, you call it accurate, but if all you're looking to do is hold minute of bunny head, then are you really looking for any sort of accuracy?

I have pics of two groups I shot off a sandbag at 40 -45 yards (thereabouts, measured it in large paces :rolleyes: ), a 5 round half-inch and a 10 round 1-inch, using a cheap bushnell 3-9x32 and CCI ammo; no other mods to the rifle. I think it's well capable of acceptable accuracy anyway, given the right ammo / person behind the trigger etc. Then again, it was never built as an out-of-the-box tackdriver, so.... moot point?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have pics of two groups I shot off a sandbag at 40 -45 yards (thereabouts, measured it in large paces :rolleyes: ), a 5 round half-inch and a 10 round 1-inch, using a cheap bushnell 3-9x32 and CCI ammo; no other mods to the rifle. I think it's well capable of acceptable accuracy anyway, given the right ammo / person behind the trigger etc. Then again, it was never built as an out-of-the-box tackdriver, so.... moot point?

Moot point is probably right. As a bunny gun, maybe they're fair enough. Just I personally object when people call them accurate, because "accurate enough to kill bunnies" is a lot more qualified than "accurate". If people like their ones, then fair enough, but I've never, ever heard of one out of the box which would achieve anything better than highly qualified accuracy.

I suppose this is pointless then really.... dont want to spoil the OP's thread anyway! Apologies.

theirishguy, I would go for the CZ as well, especially for your first rifle. Great little piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's the nature of the beast that semis won't be as accurate (all other things being equal) as a bolt action. Things just have to be a bit looser and sloppier in order to get feeding right and knowing that some .22 rounds can be a little tighter than others and have different recoil characteristics, the exigencies of making a flawless feeder will result in a less accurate shooter.

Not by huge margins, but enough to show up on a target fairly obviously.

hey there guys,
    I was at the gun shop in ballymurn, he said that he doubts that i would get a license at 17, the cz452 i was looking at is brand new never been shot before really nice rifle, he has got a good collection rifles and equipment i would recommend him, just waiting on the phone call now for the go ahead =)

hey there guys,
    I was at the gun shop in ballymurn, he said that he doubts that i would get a license at 17, .........

Whats he basing that opinion on? Does he know your Super's attitude towards youngsters applying for firearms (as in he is against it). Is it just your age?

You have as much chance of getting a license as the next person.

ezridax wrote: »
    Whats he basing that opinion on? Does he know your Super's attitude towards youngsters applying for firearms (as in he is against it). Is it just your age?

You have as much chance of getting a license as the next person.
    he said that super in enniscorthy has a negative view on youngsters with rifles he said that if i was in wexford they couldn't care less. turns out my mother know's him very well he went to school with her.

he also said that i needed to complete a "Proof of Competence" course and the guy charges around €50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

he said that super in enniscorthy has a negative view on youngsters with rifles he said that if i was in wexford they couldn't care less. turns out my mother know's him very well he went to school with her.

he also said that i needed to complete a "Proof of Competence" course and the guy charges around €50

AH Ireland, its not what you know, but who you know :rolleyes:

Its the same old story. Chuck enough infront of your path and see if you lose interest game :mad:

chem wrote: »
    AH Ireland, its not what you know, but who you know :rolleyes:

Its the same old story. Chuck enough infront of your path and see if you lose interest game :mad:
    well i'm probably not going to able to get one now so i might aswel give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

well i'm probably not going to able to get one now so i might aswel give up.

Why give up?

Advertisement