Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

few questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

well i'm probably not going to able to get one now so i might aswel give up.

Never give up. Otherwise they win, and the sport of shooting loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

Never give up. Otherwise they win, and the sport of shooting loses.
    well in this case i might as well apparently if your man your a let to beat up a pregnant women and if you step in and beat the crap out of him you get arrested.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Originally Posted by theirishguy
    well i'm probably not going to able to get one now so i might aswel give up.

Wake up. Sorry if that offends and i don't mean to be a pr**k but don't ever take that attitude until all possible avenues have been explored and even then its not over.

Jose and chem are right. You have the right to apply for a firearms license. No-one can tell you not to apply. Only those previously disentitled to apply (ie. criminals and the likes) cannot everyone else can apply as they like.

Supers that do not want to allow youngsters to get firearms will use a number of tools. The first is word of mouth. By seminating the story that "the Super doesn't like giving licenses to young lads" and stories such as this, young people get wind of it and wonder if they should bother. Answer is yes you should. Another tool is like what chem said. If they throw enough roadblocks up prior to your application or even during, then they hope you loose the will to fight and then give up. If you do this you loose out, no-one else.

Your solution is simple in theory but not so simple in application. Put a deposit of a .22 rifle. Nothing huge, €50 should hold most anything you want. The deposit is refundable if your application is denied. Do the competency course. Its a one time deal and will not hurt to have it. Fill in your FCA1 and submit it along with range/gunclub membership details or your land permissions, etc, etc. In other words all the necessary paperwork. Leave nothing to chance. If there is something you think they (Gardai) need then supply them with it. Leave no excuses for them to delay, return or refuse the application from being accepted and processed.

All you can do after that is sit back and wait, but al least you will have given it your best shot. There is a wealth of information here and from other sources that can help you through every step of the process. All it requires is a little work and alot of patience.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Wake up. Sorry if that offends and i don't mean to be a pr**k but don't ever take that attitude until all possible avenues have been explored and even then its not over.

Jose and chem are right. You have the right to apply for a firearms license. No-one can tell you not to apply. Only those previously disentitled to apply (ie. criminals and the likes) cannot everyone else can apply as they like.

Supers that do not want to allow youngsters to get firearms will use a number of tools. The first is word of mouth. By seminating the story that "the Super doesn't like giving licenses to young lads" and stories such as this, young people get wind of it and wonder if they should bother. Answer is yes you should. Another tool is like what chem said. If they throw enough roadblocks up prior to your application or even during, then they hope you loose the will to fight and then give up. If you do this you loose out, no-one else.

Your solution is simple in theory but not so simple in application. Put a deposit of a .22 rifle. Nothing huge, €50 should hold most anything you want. The deposit is refundable if your application is denied. Do the competency course. Its a one time deal and will not hurt to have it. Fill in your FCA1 and submit it along with range/gunclub membership details or your land permissions, etc, etc. In other words all the necessary paperwork. Leave nothing to chance. If there is something you think they (Gardai) need then supply them with it. Leave no excuses for them to delay, return or refuse the application from being accepted and processed.

All you can do after that is sit back and wait, but al least you will have given it your best shot. There is a wealth of information here and from other sources that can help you through every step of the process. All it requires is a little work and alot of patience.
    thank you very much for taking the time to write out that post but given my current situation i'm pretty much doubting it myself . i am still going to do that course cant hurt to have it, as for the deposit he wont take any less then half because of people just paying €50 and never coming back for there gun's.

As i said the post was not directed as an insult, but sometimes a slap in the face has more effect than a kind word. You have the right to apply and if you are doing the course anyway you are half way there in relation to your application requirements. Why not see it through to the end?

Submit the application. If you get refused its a p**s off but not the end of the world. Plus in the refusal you will get the reasons why. Me telling you that you have the right to apply is not a theory or opinion its fact. No-one can stop you from applying so again why not?

For your own sake and for the sake of the sport, apply. As Jose said and to elaborate a little, if you don't apply and others follow suit then the sport suffers from a depleted pool of shooters. Neither i nor others can force you to nor would i consider pushing someone into something, but you seem keen and are doing the right thing by asking whats the best course of action and for help/opinions. Stay determined and keep the course.

Best of luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

If you have explained your situation to the dealer (which you should'nt even have to) and he won't take a small deposit refundable in the case of a refusal, I'd be looking for another dealer!
    He should be ashamed of himself, its not like hes going to lose out or anything!
    I'm sure theres plenty of other dealers out there with .22 CZ's who'd be more than happy to help out a young man whos trying to get into the sport!

thank you guys for all the encouragement i really appreciate it. i think i'll stick with it see how it plays out.

Good man, and don't forget there are enough lads here with practical and real world experience so don't be ashamed, embarrassed or hesitant to come back and seek help, advice or just a few opinions on anything.

Anyway good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Good man, and don't forget there are enough lads here with practical and real world experience so don't be ashamed, embarrassed or hesitant to come back and seek help, advice or just a few opinions on anything.

Anyway good luck with it.

+1 I'd be lost with out the advice and help I've gotten during my short time here, everytime I done a search on anything firearm related in Ireland I ended up here:cool:

hi there its me again,
    just wondering if i can get some more info.
    whats the difference between a .22 and a .22 magnum?

• Advertisement

Both are .22 in calibre and rimfire, but the magnum has a longer, bigger case and is more powerful than the .22lr. Do not ever make the mistake of chambering a .22lr round in a .22 magnum firearm. The casing is not as big and when fired it will swell up to the dimensions of the .22 magnum breach and possibly cause damage to both rifle and shooter.

Both are .22 in calibre and rimfire, but the magnum has a longer, bigger case and is more powerful than the .22lr. Do not ever make the mistake of chambering a .22lr round in a .22 magnum firearm. The casing is not as big and when fired it will swell up to the dimensions of the .22 magnum breach and possibly cause damage to both rifle and shooter.
    so the magnum is better then, i was looking on guntrader.ie and found a "CZ brno .22magnum"
    i emailed the owner to send me some pictures.

so the magnum is better......

Possibly. Each rifle in each calibre has its pros and cons. The .22 magnum is a more powerful shot than the .22lr so delivers a more humane kill (as much as a rifle of its calibre can). If vermin is all your after then go for the magnum. You may want to speak to someone that has one or did own one. I have a .22lr and used to own a Hornett. I loved the Hornett. It was the European CZ model not the American one. Good for rabbits and foxes out to 150+ yds. My furthest shot was a 207 yd head shot. Thats about its limit. After this for consistant accuracy you would be looking at .220 Swift, .204 or .223 cal rifles.

hey there guys,
    i was just remembered something that has being bugging me for a while now ,that is insurance, do you have to get gun insurance? if so how much would it cost?

If you are a member of a game or target club its automatically included in your annual membership fee. It can be bought as an individual. As far as i know there is no requirment to have insurance but see how much more shooting rights you get when you tell the farmer/land owner that you are covered by insurance to shoot. It opens more doors. As with my advice on gunsafes, i think insurance should be a standard piece of gear/equipment.

NARGC or Countryside Alliance are the two i'm covered through (as i'm in both game and target club). I honestly could not tell you the price per individual but check out their websites and ring them Monday. Better to get it from the horses mouth rather than second hand guess work from me.

www.nargc.ie
    www.countrysideallianceireland.org

hi there guys,
    just wanting an opinion about a cz452 i was looking at last week,
    i got a reply today about it he wants €450 with a mod and €400 with out the mod the rifle is brand new not even 20 rounds throw it he said, am i getting a good deal?

putting a deposit on my first rifle thursday :D
    just got a few questions because i'm very confused at the moment.
    so far i know what i need(i think anyway) a gun(obviously;)),safe,license,proof of competence,insurance,join a gun club
    is there any more i need because all i want is the minimum required for now till i get more money, i don't want to be splashing out for stuff i don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

hi there guys,
    just wanting an opinion about a cz452 i was looking at last week,
    i got a reply today about it he wants €450 with a mod and €400 with out the mod the rifle is brand new not even 20 rounds throw it he said, am i getting a good deal?

what model of a cz 452 is it, seems good deal to me, where is it, one question i have, can i wait until i have been granted the licence to get the safe

jap gt wrote: »
    what model of a cz 452 is it, seems good deal to me, where is it, one question i have, can i wait until i have been granted the license to get the safe
    its a cz 452 lux its in ballymurn co. wexford, the way i have picked it up is that you need the safe installed when you hand in your application with pictures etc...... unless you have a single shotgun which you can take it apart and hide it (I'm probably wrong tho)

I'd say you have the basics there irishguy, anything after that would be an extra, accessory or however you want to phrase it. One thing though and it'll be the life of the firearm, a cleaning kit. Keep the rifle in good condition, well maintained, etc and it'll last as long as you.

....................., one question i have, can i wait until i have been granted the licence to get the safe

On the FCA1 you have to tick the box to say you comply with secure firearms accomodations SI. If you need a safe due to the firearm or amount of firearms then you must have it before applying or tick NO on the box to say you comply. If you tick the box and don't have a safe, its technically lying and is classed as a fraudulent application. Plus what happens if they come to your premises to inspect your safe and you don't have it.

No offense, i understand the impulse to want your firearm as quick as possible, but if you cut corners it can and probably will come back to bite you in the ass. Take a litle extra time and do things right.

• Advertisement

I'd say you have the basics there irishguy, anything after that would be an extra, accessory or however you want to phrase it. One thing though and it'll be the life of the firearm, a cleaning kit. Keep the rifle in good condition, well maintained, etc and it'll last as long as you.

On the FCA1 you have to tick the box to say you comply with secure firearms accomodations SI. If you need a safe due to the firearm or amounts of firearms then you must have it got before applying or NOT tick the box to say you comply. If you tick the box an don't have a safe, it technically lying and is classed as a fraudulent application. Plus what happens if they come to your premises to inspect your safe and you don't have it.

No offense, i understand the impulse to want your firearm as quick as possible, but if you cut corners it can and probably will come back to bite you in the ass. Take a litle extra time and do things right.

i have no intention of cutting corners, only reason i asked was i want to do this right the first time, it was a straight forward question and in no way meant to look like i was going to lie on the application

its a cz 452 lux its in ballymurn co. wexford, the way i have picked it up is that you need the safe installed when you hand in your application with pictures etc...... unless you have a single shotgun which you can take it apart and hide it (I'm probably wrong tho)

thanks, what caliber is it, im looking at the cz 452 vamint myself 22 mag. hoping to have deposit on one in next few weeks. best of luck with it

thanks, what caliber is it, im looking at the cz 452 vamint myself 22 mag. hoping to have deposit on one in next few weeks. best of luck with it
    its a .22

i have no intention of cutting corners, only reason i asked was i want to do this right the first time, it was a straight forward question and in no way meant to look like i was going to lie on the application

Why take what i say so personally. I at no point said you were, are or intend to cut corners. It was only a phrase. You asked should you have a safe before applying or could you wait. I explained that you cannot fill in the FCA1 without confirming that you either do or do not comply with the secure accommodations SI. To say you do without being so would be considered a fraudulent statement on an official document.

Its not an attack on you its a matter of fact. Do as you please, just trying to inform you. As i said i've been in the position where i was waiting on a license for a firearm and was trying to get everything done as quick as possible and in situations like this (without intention) i may have forgotten to do, admit to, say, etc something. Was only trying to advise you to consider all things before doing anything.

i think you picked him up wrong!

hehe you got before me =)

ok i may have jumped the gun a little, took it the wrong way, sorry for the confusion :o

i'm a bit confused by the application on "5.2. - Farm/land Nomination Details"
    its says that its only for shotguns do i supply them on a separate sheet because i'm getting a rifle or do i just leave it blank?

Section 5.2 is for people applying for a Limited Certificate only. Its the equivelant of the old £6 license for people wanting to license a shotgun to use on a specific/nominated piece of land. If you are going for the full license you do not fill this in.

Section 5.2 is for people applying for a Limited Certificate only. Its the equivelant of the old £6 license for people wanting to license a shotgun to use on a specific/nominated piece of land. If you are going for the full license you do not fill this in.
    so do i need 2 farmer's written permission?

• Advertisement

Yes

Advertisement