Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just starting dating someone...what to get them for xmas?

• 14-12-2009 2:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

So I've started to see someone -they're great (blushes)- however they're difficult to buy for. Also it hasn't been officially said that we're item as well, so I don't want to go too big...but I don't want to get nothing.

He loves films (has a year pass to cinema already and works with films+music), loves books (but has loads of books to get through still from his birthday), and he loves photography (however I know nothing except he likes a type where images are laided over each other and look uber surreal, so tips he might be good..). Recently he lost a pair of gloves, so I was thinking gloves, but I don't know if that's a bit like something your ma would get you or someone in a reeeeally long term relationship would get someone...overthinking much :)

I've known this person for years and normally I would haven't gotten them anything except a few scoops on a friendly night out. He hasn't said that he's needed anything - except clothes - which he's getting himself and I wouldn't go anywhere near getting him at this stage.

I'm quite stumped. Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭captainscarlet

My gf bought me a Kodak Zi8 for my bday from amazon. Its a cool pocket high-def video recorder. Might be useful for the happy times you have together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭lil*lady

Thanks captainscarlet but they already have a fancy camera and they're v picky about that sort of stuff. Good idea though, might get it for the sibling!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

A voucher for Christmas sex. You supply the blindfold and he gets to flip the coin to see who wears it. A photo shoot can be a New Year's treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 blueshoes

hi,

how about a book containing lots a nice glossy photos - dont know the exact name for this type of book. it personal and he will always have it.

there is an interesting one out called Vanishing Ireland - contains photos and stories about older generation irish people.

another interesting one i saw recently is a book of album covers, and a little story on how each cover came to be, that a great one fro a music lover. There is probally a film poster version of this for movie fans.

happy christmas

Thanks blue shoes, I'll have a look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

What about u take him out to dinner? I believe its ok for girls to do that these days. ;) you could get him after-shave/cologne or drink, they're not too personal but personal enough that you need to know their favourites.

awesome, right a photography book and dinner it is so, cheers guys.
    phew!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

lil*lady wrote: »
    awesome, right a photography book and dinner it is so, cheers guys.
    phew!

You could throw in a friendship bracelet, not expensive but a nice extra pressie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

A few years ago I just started going out with someone weeks before Christmas. It was that awkward phase where you don't know whether to get them something, how much are they going to spend on you, you don't want to spend much more than them, etc. So I got 2 gifts...the main one and a back up, just in case his present was better!

The main present was tickets to a comedy gig that was on just a few weeks later, I reckoned this was a casual enough present! Got a nice bottle of aftershave as the backup. My plan was to wait until he gave me my present and then to decide whether to give him one present or both. He got me a lovely necklace so I gave him the tickets and the aftershave :)

Thanks ibarelycare, glad to know someone else feels my awkwardness (for want of a better word) :)...not a bad idea...and actually he does like the comedy, music he's well picky, so comedy mightn't be a bad idea...I'll have a peruse-plus it's something more immediate than dinr...

Sharpshooter, I used to make them years ago...maybe the auld brain will remember how.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement