Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Durrow Abbey

Options
  • 14-12-2009 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Anyone see all the trees cut down:mad:????
    They cut down loads down the Clara back Rd on your left after you go by the RC Church but now they've cut them down along the main road across from the church. It looks terrible:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭motorman

I think a tree fell along that road and killed someone some time back, they may have done it for safety reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

motorman wrote: »
    I think a tree fell along that road and killed someone some time back, they may have done it for safety reasons.

Yea that was years ago though. The woman who owns it is cutting it all down. Dont know why. Its the same down the backroads to Clara.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Yea that was years ago though. The woman who owns it is cutting it all down. Dont know why. Its the same down the backroads to Clara.

Its probably due to chance of the land owner been held liable if any other incedents happened. It would likely cost a lot to get insurance for the land with so many trees. Every year in high wind there are bushes and branches along the road from the fingerboard into town from the big trees, and a couple of them even fell a few years ago (taking the wall with it aswell).

I know it takes from the scenery but as long as new trees are planted in there place its a lesser evil.

medoc wrote: »
    Its probably due to chance of the land owner been held liable if any other incedents happened. It would likely cost a lot to get insurance for the land with so many trees. Every year in high wind there are bushes and branches along the road from the fingerboard into town from the big trees, and a couple of them even fell a few years ago (taking the wall with it aswell).

I know it takes from the scenery but as long as new trees are planted in there place its a lesser evil.

I dont know medoc, they cut down the back roads early this year and nothing has been planted. If you walk down the abbey and look across the fields its just tree stumps. Tis a pitty, bit of history in them woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

I dont know medoc, they cut down the back roads early this year and nothing has been planted. If you walk down the abbey and look across the fields its just tree stumps. Tis a pitty, bit of history in them woods.

If they dont replant it is more than a pity its a disgrace. I'm all for cutting down trees along the road if they are dangerous but new ones should be planted in their place.

• Advertisement

medoc wrote: »
    If they dont replant it is more than a pity its a disgrace. I'm all for cutting down trees along the road if they are dangerous but new ones should be planted in their place.

Maybe she will plant more but just from the area cut down earlier in the year she hasnt planted new trees. Tis a shame, them trees have seen a lot of history and housed a lot of wildlife. Would have been better if Coillte took that over when the OPW took over the grounds. The deer do be in there often, tis a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Maybe she will plant more but just from the area cut down earlier in the year she hasnt planted new trees. Tis a shame, them trees have seen a lot of history and housed a lot of wildlife. Would have been better if Coillte took that over when the OPW took over the grounds. The deer do be in there often, tis a pity.

Saw this as well. Couldn't believe it. The tree falling on a car and killing someone has happened twice in the last twenty years, if I recall.

But it has really ruined the look of things opposite Durrow RC Church.

The same mindless vandalism happened in behind the C of I Church, down the road that loops back up to the High Rd. It was a covered in road, not unlike the beautiful scene in Laurencetown, east Galway. Only some muck-savage wanted everyone to see his newly built stout 2-storey (I'm a muck-savage myself, just not as savage as them obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Only trees that are are danger to life should be knocked.
    For some reason Irish people and especially farmers LOVE to cut trees down and knock hedgerows down. They are not happy unless they are doing this.019.gif
    They don't appreciate aesthetics at all.
    You should report it to your local heritage/enviromental officer if ya have one .

A family member of mine worked for a local council and got wind of a planned operation to knock some beautiful trees down near a beautifully restored mill. I was told about it and tipped the owner of the mill about it. He prevented them from been knocked and the were professionally tidied up instead which was wonderful.
    Felling tress is the lazy way out :mad:

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Saw this as well. Couldn't believe it. The tree falling on a car and killing someone has happened twice in the last twenty years, if I recall.

But it has really ruined the look of things opposite Durrow RC Church.
    An Ri rua,
    I think it was closer to 20 year ago that the trees fell. Was it not trees down the far side of the abbey?? Not sure myself as it was a long time ago. Was in the forest earlier this year and its in a state, its only now people are noticing it because its beside the road. The amount of wildlife that lived there. You seem to be familiar with the area Rua, i presume you know some stories, the hanging judge and all that stuff. A lot of history chopped down. I thought something might have been done because of all the deer actually.
    Sundew wrote: »
    For some reason Irish people and especially farmers LOVE to cut trees down and knock hedgerows down. They are not happy unless they are doing this.
    She isnt a farmer. she used to live in the castle and must have kept some land afaik.

Advertisement