Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very vague "what book is this" question

• 14-12-2009 8:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

For some reason this has been niggling at me.
    I was in a library and I started reading a science fiction book. I didn't read very far into it. It had an introduction by ursula e guin which raved about it and suggested it was quite a significant/well known book. [I've never read ursula e guin.]
    All I remember was that the protagonist was a scholar and he was getting ready to move to a different planet which was a very different culture. I think the introduction suggested it was quite a political book, and not new - decades old probably...
    No idea why this is niggling at me - this was about a year ago I picked it up, put it down, forgot about it.
    Any ideas?
    :confused:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Sure it was a different planet?
    Could be The Saga of the Exiles by Julian May...
    First book was The Many Coloured Land.

Takes a couple of hundred pages to get going, but develops into quite a good series after that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Wasn't that. It was definitely a different planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boru05

Dune by Frank Herbert?

Not Dune. Protagonist was a researcher or something like that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dispossessed

It's this. No wonder the introduction was by Le Guinn - she wrote the rest of the book too :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement