Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge meteor (??) type object seen at 7:40am

Options
  • 14-12-2009 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭

Was just out walking the dog and saw an object going at meteor speed about half the size of the moon zoom across the eastern sky and then disappear. Any idea what this was?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

arctictree wrote: »
    Was just out walking the dog and saw an object going at meteor speed about half the size of the moon zoom across the eastern sky and then disappear. Any idea what this was?!
    We are in the midst of a meteor shower which will last for another night or so. Its reported that one could see upto 100 meteors per hour over the next 24hrs or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

c4cat wrote: »
    We are in the midst of a meteor shower which will last for another night or so. Its reported that one could see upto 100 meteors per hour over the next 24hrs or so.

Ah so that's what I saw last night!! Thought it was a shooting star but was quite big.. thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Lucky devil :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

Saw this too, driving eastwards this morning and saw an amazing flash of light just zip through the sky before burning out. bang on 7:40am. Was amazing.

• Advertisement

Would love to have seen that ! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Yep, it was green/blue about half the size of the moon. I only glimpsed the last bit of it before it dissappeared but was amazing to see. The speed of a meteor with a long tail. I wonder do any of the experts here know what it was?!

wrote: »
    Yep, it was green/blue about half the size of the moon. I only glimpsed the last bit of it before it dissappeared but was amazing to see. The speed of a meteor with a long tail. I wonder do any of the experts here know what it was?!

arctictree , We are/were in the midst of the Geminid Meteor Shower for past few nights ;)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091213-geminids-geminid-meteor-shower-tonight.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭arctictree

Stargate wrote: »
    arctictree , We are/were in the midst of the Geminid Meteor Shower for past few nights ;)

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/12/091213-geminids-geminid-meteor-shower-tonight.html

Yep, I saw that but this object seemed way to big to be a meteor. (I have only seen a few meteors but they all seemed like a point sized spec of light racing across the sky). Can meteors be observed as much bigger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

My ship landed this morning to take me home!

I was driving from Donegal to Dublin last night, when the fog gave way just a little outside Monaghan I saw a pretty impressive meteor shoot down the sky while I was driving... It was about 11pm.

I am hoping tonight is a little clearer!

I have seen some impressive meteor's in the hills of Donegal where I am from, the biggest was about 10 years ago, this thing was huge with smaller bits breaking off it as it went, more or less ran the full length of the sky...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭RodgerTheDoger

Yep, I saw that but this object seemed way to big to be a meteor. (I have only seen a few meteors but they all seemed like a point sized spec of light racing across the sky). Can meteors be observed as much bigger?

They can look pretty large. Some can even explode as they go, giving almost like a fireball effect, the object itself does not need to even be that large...

I wish I had seen them. I wonder where they all land, especially this big one that was seen. Would it just land in the ocean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Very, very lucky! I saw nothing of the meteor shower yet, last night I was shrouded in freezing fog!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sky looks clear, what's a good time to see them tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Oooh, I saw what I thought was a shooting star in London on Saturday night - could that have been part of it?

Thoie wrote: »
    Oooh, I saw what I thought was a shooting star in London on Saturday night - could that have been part of it?

Thoie , yes possible ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Stargate wrote: »
    Thoie , yes possible ;)

I'm very excited now.

Thoie wrote: »
    I'm very excited now.

HaHa i would be too if i saw what you saw Thoie :P

Advertisement