Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This just in - Somebody, Somewhere gets paid more than me!!!

Options
  • 14-12-2009 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭

There really are a lot of threads on hear consisting of people complaining about public sector workers getting paid lunch breaks, Gardaí getting certain allowances, Bankers getting pay rises..etc

The focus of a lot of these threads seems to follow a common theme of

Making a statement about somebodys financial earnings, waiting for others to jump on the bandwagon, the revelation that the OP is probably not getting whatever pay/benefit/allowance that they are cribbing about...Then the arguements, public sector bashing, the banks, the developers....

We should all accept the fact that there are those out there who get paid more than we do, who get that bit more due to work patterns, unsocial hours, performance bonuses etc and stop moaning, focus your energy on something else :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH there is always going to be someone paid better than others that is the nature of the game.

What irks me and I reckon the more logical Taxpayers out there (both public and private sector) is the wastage in the PS and the small percentage of staff who seem to just exist to draw a wage and not to contribute to running the service either through their own laziness or structures that haven't been allowed change to meet the needs of the customers of the PS, the taxpayers. The whole cost over-run is a symptom of this and if we had a government of leaders then this would have been addressed when times were good instead of bloating the service more and building up a disaster for all when times got hard again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pah wrote: »
    We should all accept the fact that there are those out there who get paid more than we do, who get that bit more due to work patterns, unsocial hours, performance bonuses etc
    ........and responsibility which goes with the post.

The ESRI recently compared the wages of a security guard to that of a Garda and tried to make out that their roles were equal! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Thread title is great - so true!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

all well and good for you to say - bet you're paid more than me, pay less tax and you're probably better looking too.....

....some people!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

alfa beta wrote: »
    all well and good for you to say - bet you're paid more than me, pay less tax and you're probably better looking too.....

....some people!

LOL for the record I'm a Garda with under 4 years service. I'm well paid and deserving of my wage, which I work hard for, I'm leaking taxes and levies like a poorly managed flood plan and just got kicked in the nuts for about 6% Paycut. But I am better looking than you.

Gandalf- I agree with you in relation to the poor running of a lot of PS and the unrequired surplus. From my own personal experience there are a few people I could point at later on today and say the place would run away fine if that person was never even here.

In an official capacity last week I witnessed almost the exact same inefficiancy in a similar role just at a different desk with a PS worker who had no idea what they were doing and just seemed lost. TBH this happens just as much when I'm shopping though, ask someone in a techie shop a techie question you expect to get some kind of an answer to your question - Clueless at times but I guess it's in every facet of work/society. Hey I've been asked things before that someone would reasonably expect me to know but I haven't had a notion :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

pah wrote: »
    . TBH this happens just as much when I'm shopping though, ask someone in a techie shop a techie question you expect to get some kind of an answer to your question - Clueless at times but I guess it's in every facet of work/society. Hey I've been asked things before that someone would reasonably expect me to know but I haven't had a notion :D

Yep I know what you mean. Its called the "whaaaaat?" effect, you ask them a question and they come back with that response. The thing is you will find they are paid a pittance by the retailer (so they get what they pay for) or next time you go back to that store they are no longer there.

Unfortunately there seems to be no Option B in the PS, so the hard workers like you are carrying the dead wood so to speak. This of course excludes temporary workers who seem to be treated extremely badly in the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Fair enough, people get paid better than others but what do they think is going to happen when they post up complaints about their wages dropping when in fact they could be earning over twice what the reader is getting by on. Simple rule - do not complain about your wages unless you are on minimum wage. If you don't like it, change jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Fair enough, people get paid better than others but what do they think is going to happen when they post up complaints about their wages dropping when in fact they could be earning over twice what the reader is getting by on. Simple rule - do not complain about your wages unless you are on minimum wage. If you don't like it, change jobs.

Great idea! Chose the well paid job from the thousands available. Must communicate that to the unemployed on the dole queues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Would completely agree with the general sentiment of that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

........and responsibility which goes with the post.

The ESRI recently compared the wages of a security guard to that of a Garda and tried to make out that their roles were equal! :rolleyes:
    :rolleyes:
    I take it you didn't read the paper then?

• Advertisement

Heinrich wrote: »
    Great idea! Chose the well paid job from the thousands available. Must communicate that to the unemployed on the dole queues.

There are people sitting on their arses waiting for a job to pop along while they have the time to upskill and re train(and get the courses paid for). I'm self employed- if i don't find work i don't eat. No dole available. So you might understand why my sympathies are drying up for all sectors at the minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Its the green eyed monster alright. From various lunchtime chats at work you know its people just looking at somebody else`s work and thinking "there useless and they get paid more than me !". And tbh its true, every so often you do see a right tool whos in a job because of pure luck, and its quite aggrovating. At the end of the day though you`ll just drive yourself mad thinking about that (and the recession etc etc). Best thing to do really is to try and improve yourself and get further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I'm self employed- if i don't find work i don't eat. No dole available. So you might understand why my sympathies are drying up for all sectors at the minute
    You're self employed - your choice. Join the queue, you and half the PS bashers on boards.

How was the boom for you?
    So you didn't think of putting something aside for when the boom ended.
    Never saw that coming huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There are people sitting on their arses waiting for a job to pop along while they have the time to upskill and re train(and get the courses paid for). I'm self employed- if i don't find work i don't eat. No dole available. So you might understand why my sympathies are drying up for all sectors at the minute

Yeah, but thats your choice. Fair play for making it.......but what you are saying riles me as much as people moaning about their pay and conditions.
    If you believe there is a better option for you in your employment, you should go there.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 3House

This meme about no dole being available to self employed people needs to be knocked on the head. You can get the dole if you cease trading. You are means tested and have to wait a while but in the end the state arent going to kick you an your family on the street

Gurgle wrote: »
    You're self employed - your choice. Join the queue, you and half the PS bashers on boards.

How was the boom for you?
    So you didn't think of putting something aside for when the boom ended.
    Never saw that coming huh?

Ever think i was too busy trying to build up trade at competitive prices and buy enough tools to do the work. Training in people to do jobs cost money, just to see them leave for cushier numbers. Getting screwed by builders going under costs money. Not every builder owned a 4*4 and a mansion.If i had the chance again i wouldn't do it. That way i might have had a nice safe job, no heartaches and great health but what can i do now? I shut up and work longer hours and hope i get through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Ever think i was too busy trying to build up trade at competitive prices and buy enough tools to do the work. Training in people to do jobs cost money, just to see them leave for cushier numbers. Getting screwed by builders going under costs money. Not every builder owned a 4*4 and a mansion.If i had the chance again i wouldn't do it. That way i might have had a nice safe job, no heartaches and great health but what can i do now? I shut up and work longer hours and hope i get through it.
    I genuinely have sympathy for you & all the others in the same boat.

Every business has to plan ahead. That there would be a recession was never in doubt, it was just a question of when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I don't think most have a problem with the Gardai, except when they're threatening to strike illegally that is, but I think people's problems lie with the form-fillers in the PS and civil service starting at between 5 and 7k more than their private counterparts, and that it's the taxpayer footing the bill. Not to mention, as someone already said, those who exist merely to draw a wage and don't appear to do any work.

Fact of the matter is that the vast majority of the PS and CS don't deserve higher wages than their private counterparts, it's a public job, you shouldn't be earning 45k per year in your first year of teaching and be virtually impossible to get rid of. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Rb wrote: »
    I don't think most have a problem with the Gardai, except when they're threatening to strike illegally that is

There are quite a few on here that keep quoting CSO figures for 2008 Garda Wages and have a HUGE :eek: problem with them.

There's no chance of a strike happening either at the moment it doesn't have the support.:o Unless Govt has GRA CEC arrested at which point I can see opinions of support changing dramatically.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Simple rule - do not complain about your wages unless you are on minimum wage. If you don't like it, change jobs.
    That would only make sense if you are making comparisons with similar roles and responsibilities. Are you seriously suggesting that, if a hospital consultant's wages were reduced by 75%, he has no right to complain as he is still earning more than a basic supermarket employee?
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    :rolleyes:
    I take it you didn't read the paper then?
    I was referring to the spokesman they had on Morning Ireland recently. He tried to make out that a Garda and security personnel were the same and made comparisons of their earnings. He was ridiculed by the presenter and various media afterwards. Presumably, if he was a spokesman from the ESRI, he is reflecting what was in their report?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MI5

We should have a recession more often:D
    Brings out the best in us all:cool:

Advertisement