Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Failed the NCT one ONE thing!

• 14-12-2009 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Just failed the NCT this morning.

" Visual Defects -
    Item: Steering Linkage (43)
    Description: Power Steering Pipes Condition
    Reason: Leaking "

I've to get it re-tested before the 28th Jan to avoid having the whole car re-tested. It's gonna cost €28 to get re-tested!

Also, I called the garage where I bought the car this morning. Told them the above and asked for a price to get it fixed.... €390 + VAT!!!! and that's just for the part!

Has anyone any idea if that's a bit of a rip off or what? Coming up to Christmas, cash isn't exactly overflowing from my pockets!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I don't want you driving my direction when your power steering locks up.

The Title makes it sound like you failed on a dirty wing mirror or something but your actual fault seems pretty serious and worth a fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

maybe worth your while going to a breakers getting part you need second hand and having a local mechanic fix it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The garage probably think you said pump, not pipe. Replacing a rubber pipe is easy and cheap.

(There's no risk of your steering locking up, but there is a risk that the pump will be damaged if the fluid is low)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

robtri wrote: »
    maybe worth your while going to a breakers getting part you need second hand and having a local mechanic fix it....

+1

If it is a rubber pipe you don't want to be getting it from a breaker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

egan007 wrote: »
    I don't want you driving my direction when your power steering locks up.

The Title makes it sound like you failed on a dirty wing mirror or something but your actual fault seems pretty serious and worth a fail.

Thanks, that's a great help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

JHMEG wrote: »
    If it is a rubber pipe you don't want to be getting it from a breaker.

yeah, identify the right pipe, and order it up and get it fixed.
    To behonest, if the NCT stated the whole RACK was bollooxed, then you'd be looking at big enough bucks!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

I had my van fail the DOE test for the same thing, it was a loose jubilee clip on the pipe from the reservoir, tightened it and wiped the pipes clean, passed. Check for something simple like this if you can before taking it to a garage.

demag wrote: »
    I had my van fail the DOE test for the same thing, it was a loose jubilee clip on the pipe from the reservoir, tightened it and wiped the pipes clean, passed. Check for something simple like this if you can before taking it to a garage.

Thanks, will do. where exactly should i be looking though?

Identify
    1. power steering pump
    2. steering rack
    3. power steering fluid resevoir

Check piping from all 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

They may have marked the defective part with yellow paint? Good luck, I hope it turns out to be a cheap fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

If its listed as just a VISUAL Defect then it is free of charge on the Re-test.

They only charge if any equiptment is required, ie headlight alignment, emissions etc

The-Game wrote: »

They only charge if any equiptment is required, ie headlight alignment, emissions etc

It is listed as a VISUAL defect. But it also has on the form - 'Retest €28'

I have it in front of me as I'm typing this :(

It is listed as a VISUAL defect. But it also has on the form - 'Retest €28'

I have it in front of me as I'm typing this :(

Id ring up and question that one, or inquire has their policy changed??

All Visual defects are free of charge once you book a re-test in the specified time on the printout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Pics or it didn't happen.

Take it to the garage and see what they say, try two-three different garages and get the average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭cascade35

It says a visual defect and leaking fluid so it does not sound like a major repair is needed.
    As stated on previous posts check the power steering pipes find the faulty pipe, replace it and you should be fine.

cascade35 wrote: »
    It says a visual defect and leaking fluid so it does not sound like a major repair is needed.
    As stated on previous posts check the power steering pipes find the faulty pipe, replace it and you should be fine.

Had a look today at lunchtime. There is enough fluid in the resevoir, the rubber pipes that come out of it... there is a tiny bit of grease / fluid on one of them. gonna give it a good clean later in the week, then check it again at the weekend. If it seems to be a persistant leak I'll get it checked properly. If it doesn't come back after a couple of days I'll chance another visual inspection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

That's interesting alright.. my car is absolutely pissing power steering fluid (have to keep a few litres in the boot at all times) and has been through the last 3 or 4 nct tests but i've never failed for it:D...maybe your fluid level was low also OP, i notice they always check my power steering fluid level.

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Maybe this re-test requires putting the car up on the lifts? I think it's only free if it doesn't require the use of any equipment, e.g. blown light bulbs, tyre inspection, etc.

Maybe this re-test requires putting the car up on the lifts? I think it's only free if it doesn't require the use of any equipment, e.g. blown light bulbs, tyre inspection, etc.

So this could be something that was noticed from underneath, and not under the bonnet?

• Advertisement

I don't know, I'm just guessing here. The steering rack is underneath the engine, so depending on where the leak is it might be only visible underneath or easier to see underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

They're usually good enough to mark the offending item with yellow paint / crayon. If it's a loose pipe or a damaged pipe, it will be a cheap and easy fix.
    Don't even think about getting under the car with it just jacked up using the car jack. If you don't have axel stands, bring it to an independent mechanic, get him to put it up on the lift. To be honest, in this weather, bring it to an independent mechanic even if you do have axel stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The garage quote would have been for replacing a full section of pipework which on some cars can be major work. You will get away with just sticking in a new section where the problem is. Might only cost you a few quid in the end. Power steering systems can be hard to seal sometimes though. If your problem is just a damaged pipe, it should be ok. If its a leaky seal, well it could cost alot

True, OP Can you see any yellow marks under the bonnet to indicate the problem??

If not it may be only accessible from underneath and well then you must pay unfortunately!

True, OP Can you see any yellow marks under the bonnet to indicate the problem??

If not it may be only accessible from underneath and well then you must pay unfortunately!

No yellow paint / crayon visible under the bonnet. I'll have to drop it to a garage I suppose! Would it have to be a mechanic that fixes a problem like that or would the likes of Fast-Fit etc. be able to do it?

would the likes of Fast-Fit etc. be able to do it?

They might be able to do it, but they might also overcharge you and want to replace things that don't need to be replaced. I'm not saying this is always the case but places like Fast-Fit, Advance, etc. are a compromise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Just failed the NCT this morning.

" Visual Defects -
    Item: Steering Linkage (43)
    Description: Power Steering Pipes Condition
    Reason: Leaking "

I've to get it re-tested before the 28th Jan to avoid having the whole car re-tested. It's gonna cost €28 to get re-tested!

Also, I called the garage where I bought the car this morning. Told them the above and asked for a price to get it fixed.... €390 + VAT!!!! and that's just for the part!

Has anyone any idea if that's a bit of a rip off or what? Coming up to Christmas, cash isn't exactly overflowing from my pockets!

Werd, from now on i think cars shouldn't have to pass an NCT :rolleyes:

Werd, from now on i think cars shouldn't have to pass an NCT :rolleyes:

So by your reasoning I should go with the first quote I got, don't even bother to question if I'm being ripped off & pay out money I don't have?

I bet sales assistants love to see you coming.

As you should be able to tell from my original post (and also the part you highlighted when you quoted me) I'm not Pi**ed off that the car failed the NCT. What I was pi**ed off about is the price I was quoted for the repair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭unseenfootage

Have to take mine for nct in January.

Power steering does not work due to broken pipe. No fluid in reservoir and no leaks.

Does power steering have to work to pass the test. Car drives fine without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

egan007 wrote: »
    I don't want you driving my direction when your power steering locks up..

I wouldn't want you working on my car if you think that's even a possibility. Time to get a how-to-book, methinks......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

So by your reasoning I should go with the first quote I got, don't even bother to question if I'm being ripped off & pay out money I don't have?

I bet sales assistants love to see you coming.

As you should be able to tell from my original post (and also the part you highlighted when you quoted me) I'm not Pi**ed off that the car failed the NCT. What I was pi**ed off about is the price I was quoted for the repair!

Ah right, i didn't read your post :D i just assumed you were bitching at the NCT for failing you because they failed you for one thing

Advertisement