Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stewing Meat question

Options
  • 14-12-2009 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

If i bought some last Tuesday (8th December) would it still be ok to use tonight, if i had it in the fridge?
    I used some of it last week for a stew, and i still have some left over, i wanted to add would anyone have any ideas for what to do with it?
    I was thinking of frying it with some balsamic vinegar?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm sure it would be fine, and you'd know by the look and smell if it wasn't.
    If you fry stewing steak it will be very tough because it needs to be cooked for a lot longer than the likes of sirloin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

what would you do Dizzyblonde? Any ideas for me? Would you fry, and if so for how long? Or would you make another stew/casserole?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd definitely make another stew or casserole, it's your best bet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I wouldn't touch it, to be honest. I find a 3-day rule is the safest. Use it or cook it within 3 days. You get another 3 days out of it when it's cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Thanks Faith, i think ill bear that in mind next time! It's too late now!!! :-) Another stew was made. Thanks dizzyblonde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Meat lasts for a good while, it starts to smell long before it is unsafe to eat.
    Toss the meat in seasoned flour, and brown it in oil, set aside, fry chopped onion in the oil.
    Deglaze the pan with wine or water and add to a pot along with meat and onions, chop carrot and add with bay leaves, peppercorns, dash of Worcester sauce and a stock cube.
    Add water until it is nearly covered and simmer for 45-60 mins or until nearly tender.
    Peel spuds and add to the stew. Floury ones will break up and thicken it, waxy ones will stay whole.
    Cook until spuds are done.
    Serve.
    My missus did this with Venison last night, Meat was in the fridge for a week and hung for a week before that.

Advertisement