Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocal-Low range/pitch/something?confused

Options
  • 14-12-2009 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

Firstly I'm primarily a drummer so vocals are a foreign language to me.

I do however strum a guitar from time to time and I really wanna be able to sing along when I do.

Herein lies the problem,I can hold a tune but I seem to have a low voice/pitch/range?? I dunno which.Some songs are fine to sing along with,and some I simply can't because they feel to high.

I have tried moving up and down a few keys and sometimes it works.

Some songs I feel I am singing the verse fine but then when it comes to the chorus I have to sing it lower than the verse(if that makes sense),which is the opposite to what the original singer does.

Is this something that can be fixed or am I doomed to be a skin basher for life?

I would really appreciate any tips etc from anyone here!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 nevadagg

Anybody?

Please help I recorded myself singing chasing cars, it sounds like snow patrol feat. John Coffey from 'The Green Mile'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Sit down with a keyboard or guitar and work your way up the scale singing each note till you reach that point where you shift registers (there's a term for this, something like head voice and chest voice, basically it's the point at which you stop sounding like John Coffey and start sounding like the BeeGees) - if you work your way up and down the scale you can figure out the limits of your high and low registers. And once you know where the break is, you need to start working on getting familiar with your high voice.

Naturally, like anything worth doing, this is where the endless hours of practice come in. I've not really got any useful suggestions as to what you can do to practice this though, I'm a shower / alone in the car singer. I'm only posting 'cause you sounded desperate :) Making an ascending and descending siren sound that goes from the bottom of your high register to as high as you can go can give you a feel for the sounds of the notes you can hit. Just bear in mind that if you don't sing high a lot, your throat is going to tighten up very quickly. You need to avoid tension when singing same as when playing an instrument. One suggestion I've heard is to let your jaw drop slack - it'll make you feel like yawning or, if you're hung over, throwing up - Then sing a siren or yodel. Once you're used to how it feels to make the high pitched sounds it might come more naturally.

Alternatively, why not just work with what you've got. Figure out a repertoire of songs and transpose them into a key that works for your, and work on your "interpretation" of the song so it sounds more natural when you sing it?

All in all though, if you're serious then get proper coaching. Don't listen to some spaz off the internet who's just whiling away his lunch break trying to convince people to yodel while throwing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

nevadagg wrote: »
    Please help I recorded myself singing chasing cars, it sounds like snow patrol feat. John Coffey from 'The Green Mile'.

I'd release that now for a Christmas number 1. :)

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭filament

most voices have a range of at least two octaves, some a little more, its really a case of taking a song that suits your range, you wouldnt use a piccollo on a sax solo and the voice is the same thing

Advertisement