Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are ESB still taking on apprentices?

Options
  • 14-12-2009 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm just after completing phase 4 of my electrical apprenticeship and am wondering if anybody knows whether the esb, boird gais or airtricity are taking on any apprentices. Any contact information for these companies would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

If you have no emplyoer, you contact fas and they would put you on a list for a place if it comes up. I think that scheme is finished now but not certain.

As for full time, the applications are normally april but you would be starting as a first year again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MonkhouseIHH

I went to Fas and got put on a list at the start of November and i got called just 2 weeks ago by a company and now i have a job! I could have just been lucky but still, there is hope, it didn't take long!

Fas ran a scheme from July of 09 to the end of this year whereby they pay your wage instead of your prospective employer. This makes it easier to get placement as the companies are getting apprentices for free! The advisor in Fas said that this same scheme will probably be run in the new year too.

As for the ESB, i am pretty sure they only take on 3rd and 4th years who are out of work for some reason! I may be wrong but i heard that somewhere. But anyway, you did phase 4 so you must be a 3rd year, right? So you are eligible if my theory is correct. No harm in ringing them up and asking are they taking apprentices!

Might as well throw yourself on the Fas list too though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

They have been taking on people in order to finish their last phase of work experience-whatever that is, 5 or 6.

Some FAS people are still here-but I'm unsure as to whether the scheme will continue next year, hopefully it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kodirl

thanks guys for the comments.Fas told me they were'nt sure whether the apprentice placement scheme will be run next yr (due to lack of funding imo).I'll give the esb a call tomorrow ,hopefully someone will be looking to take on a 3rd yr apprentice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

ESB networks took on about 100 new apprentices in August this year. Some where adult apprentices who had been lines-men etc. most where in the 17-23 bracket. 100 is a pretty big number compared to what they have been taking on in the last few years so I don't know if they'll be taking on many next year. The applications process usually starts in spring but it's a tough selections, there were over 5000 applications this year and only 100 taken on, with only about 20 going to get a job at the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They have been taking on people in order to finish their last phase of work experience-whatever that is, 5 or 6.

They took anybody that needed to do phase 5 and phase 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

That's the one(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭kodirl

Thanks.I'm really just looking for an employer who will take me on to finish my apprenticeship so I can go back to college and study Electrical Engineering in DIT.

Advertisement