Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What broadband options are left to me?

• 14-12-2009 1:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I have posted on a few other threads as I trying to get broadband into the house I have recently moved into just outside Kilnaleck in Cavan.

I tried to get Broadband with Eircom but have just found out that I am on a carrier line so I cant get it.
    I cant get Wirelss broadband with Arden Brisknet as there are some trees in the distance blocking line of sight.
    Im not in a 3g area. I can surf the web on my mobile phone and have a good connection to the Edge network.

If I was to try out one of the mobile broadband dongles what type of speeds would I be expecting or are they only usefull if you are in a 3g area? Is there some signal booster I can put on the roof in order to get a better signal.

I only want to broadband access to suft the web, read emails etc. Any downloading I need to do I can do in my parents house when I visit at weekend.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

www.net1.ie would be the best bet in the rural NE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    www.net1.ie would be the best bet in the rural NE

I was onto them but they cant come out until January to do a line of sight check. I thought though that the fact that I cant get a wireless signal with Arden Brisknet would mean I wouldnt get one with Net1???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gazzer wrote: »
    If I was to try out one of the mobile broadband dongles what type of speeds would I be expecting or are they only usefull if you are in a 3g area? Is there some signal booster I can put on the roof in order to get a better signal.

I take it you're with O2, hence the EDGE connection. Mobile midband will be the same, and if you go with Three, Vodafone or Meteor, you'll either have nothing, GPRS (56k) or GPRS (though possibly EDGE). Three have no 2G network, Vodafone have good GRPS coverage, but no EDGE, and Meteor are rolling out 3G, and have EDGE in some areas, with only GPRS in the rest.

Basically, you'll be no better off than you are with your phone.

jor el wrote: »
    I take it you're with O2, hence the EDGE connection. Mobile midband will be the same, and if you go with Three, Vodafone or Meteor, you'll either have nothing, GPRS (56k) or GPRS (though possibly EDGE). Three have no 2G network, Vodafone have good GRPS coverage, but no EDGE, and Meteor are rolling out 3G, and have EDGE in some areas, with only GPRS in the rest.

Basically, you'll be no better off than you are with your phone.

Would Eircom give me a new line if I asked them to take me off the carrier line or would they laugh in my face if I asked for that?

You may order a new line and see what the engineer says when he comes to install it, if carrier free let him in and if it is pairgained tell him you don't want it, go away. Either way it will only cost a months rental to find out.

They cannot charge you unless they install a socket but new line installs are free till March

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

page 4, save that PDF for future reference if you do order/

• Advertisement

You may order a new line and see what the engineer says when he comes to install it, if carrier free let him in and if it is pairgained tell him you don't want it, go away. Either way it will only cost a months rental to find out.

They cannot charge you unless they install a socket but new line installs are free till March

http://www.eircom.ie/About/Activities/internet_special_offer.pdf

page 4, save that PDF for future reference if you do order/

Interesting. I might try that. Thanks. I have spent a half hour onto technical support in Eircom but I am still none the wiser. The woman I spoke to just kept telling me that Eircom were only under an obligation to provide voice calls.

When I ordered the line from Eircom last month I stated that I wanted it for broadband. Unfortunatley I was not in the house when the engineer called. My partner was there. I didnt realise that I was on a carrier line until today. I thought (obviously niaively) that as the house had never had a line before and that the engineer had to physically connect the line from the house to the pole that I would not have just been put on a carrier line.

did you order broadband and line in a BUNDLE when you ordered...or just a line ??

if you did then eircom knew it was for broadband all along, you had your free install last month.

did you order broadband and line in a BUNDLE when you ordered...or just a line ??

if you did then eircom knew it was for broadband all along, you had your free install last month.

When I ordered on line it was just the line I asked to get installed though I did ring them up and tell them that I wanted broadband installed. I suppose I have no leg to stand on so. I might chance ordering a second line of them and see what happens.

It won't be free unless you open a new account. Next time order online , new account and new customer , and order a bundle.

Meanwhile cancel that line now , the install was free and all you owe them is one months rental as there was no minimum 6 month contract in November.

A new line / new account will come with a minimum 6 month contract and minimum 12 months if you order broadband in a bundle, however they cannot pairgain a line where they KNOW it is for broadband and if they install another carrier you do not owe them a penny. Don't let them in the door next time until the engineer confirms it is not pairgained.

Tell him feck off , you ordered a broadband bundle and that cannot be delivered with a pairgain.

It won't be free unless you open a new account. Next time order online , new account and new customer , and order a bundle.

Meanwhile cancel that line now , the install was free and all you owe them is one months rental as there was no minimum 6 month contract in November.

A new line / new account will come with a minimum 6 month contract and minimum 12 months if you order broadband in a bundle, however they cannot pairgain a line where they KNOW it is for broadband and if they install another carrier you do not owe them a penny. Don't let them in the door next time until the engineer confirms it is not pairgained.

Tell him feck off , you ordered a broadband bundle and that cannot be delivered with a pairgain.

Im due a call back from one of the Eircom Supervisors. Would I be right in telling this person when they ring that they should not have connected my new phone line onto a carrier line without my permission?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gazzer wrote: »
    Would I be right in telling this person when they ring that they should not have connected my new phone line onto a carrier line without my permission?

No, eircom decide whether to use pairgains or not. However, they're not supposed to use them if a free line is available. They're only supposed to use them when there isn't a line free. The fact that they installed the line on a pairgain would suggest that there are no free lines (or weren't at the time), but you never know.

Or suggests the engineer was too lazy to look.

I would tell the supervisor that I ordered the line for broadband when I them rang the first time round and that the line was deliberately crippled when it was installed and therefore not what you ordered at all.

Advertisement