Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax the Church

Options
  • 14-12-2009 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

They got loads of money and property.
    They want to influence policy and have a say in society.
    Pay the entrance fee then!! Tax em

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭KC JONES

agreed tax the weekly collection too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It'll. Never. Happen.

The church and the state are still too intertwined at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

never mind taxing them theres a bigger problem

how about they (and not the state) pay for the compensation of victims

they have churches lined with gold and marble yet they cant pay out for their own crimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    never mind taxing them theres a bigger problem

they have churches lined with gold and marble yet they cant pay out for their own crimes
    Indeed, and it's been proven that the Church has been transferring assets into the names of organisations they control to blurr the figures on their spreadsheets, making it seem that they've a lot less than previously thought.

As crooked as the Government themselves and yet even less accountible for their vile actions against society, not to mention those poor, poor children whos lives they've destroyed in perhaps some of the most disgusting ways possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Rb wrote: »
    Indeed, and it's been proven that the Church has been transferring assets into the names of organisations they control to blurr the figures on their spreadsheets, making it seem that they've a lot less than previously thought.

Any links to this? Not that I don't believe it to be true (I very much do believe it's the case), but has there been a decent report done on the subject in Ireland?

I'd be very interested to see a full statement of the Church's finances, including for example the value of property they own, art in their possession, and the income from any business they own (eg Veritas.)

I know the individual parishes publish end of year accounts of a sort, but is there anything on a national level?

As an aside, can anyone confirm that in return for their tax exempt status in the USA, religious organisations are bound by law not to make any political statements?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

You can thank Michael Woods for that. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

bobbyjoe wrote: »

we may then see the Church stop their contributions to the running of schools throughout the country...state would then have to take up that slack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Any links to this? Not that I don't believe it to be true (I very much do believe it's the case), but has there been a decent report done on the subject in Ireland?

I'd be very interested to see a full statement of the Church's finances, including for example the value of property they own, art in their possession, and the income from any business they own (eg Veritas.)

I know the individual parishes publish end of year accounts of a sort, but is there anything on a national level?

As an aside, can anyone confirm that in return for their tax exempt status in the USA, religious organisations are bound by law not to make any political statements?
    It was discussed in the A&A forum here recently, I'll fish out the link for you after lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

they have churches lined with gold and marble
    The various denominations also have many churches in different states of disrepair and which would require millions to rectify. They are only really useful as churches. If they were to be sold off, they would be practically worthless. As most are also 'listed', their uses are very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Rb wrote: »
    It was discussed in the A&A forum here recently, I'll fish out the link for you after lunch.

Thanks!

I had a search in that forum and I think it's this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055756208 which has some very informative posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Are we talking about the Roman Catholic Church or all religions? For that matter, do we mean all charities?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Are we talking about the Roman Catholic Church or all religions? For that matter, do we mean all charities?

A sliding scale - a small non-profit charity or church pays peanuts while huge profit generating charity or church pays a lot. All books subject to control of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

herya wrote: »
    A sliding scale - a small non-profit charity or church pays peanuts while huge profit generating charity or church pays a lot. All books subject to control of course.
    I think you'll find that there would be resistance from this, not only from religions, but charities too. When the issue of charities being VAT exempt was raised some time back, many of them started campaigns against abolishing the exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

herya wrote: »
    huge profit generating charity or church pays a lot. All books subject to control of course.
    What church gererates "huge profit"? Most can't balance their books.

And what charities are "profit gererating". Surely any money raised goes to the cause. It's not as if they have shareholders to keep happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭Daithinski

bobbyjoe wrote: »

Never mind taxing them. Burn them down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

What church gererates "huge profit"? Most can't balance their books.

They could sell all of their real estate, most of those Churches would make excellent nightclubs ;)

- Burn the rest of them though - just for the spectacle and because they are remnant of the Dark Ages and a daily reminder to their Victims.

Advertisement