Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends Reactions to Your Studies and/or Work

• 14-12-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering if those either studying or working in the psychology/psychotherapy field, ever find friends don't treat them the same. I was talking to a friend recently, about a dilemma surrounding family I am currently facing, and she seemed shocked that this was a dilemma for me, because according to her "as you have x years of studying psychotherapy, I am surprised this is even an issue for you". The issue pertains to standing my ground with family etc, and I felt she did not respect my standpoing - she seemed to be trying to tell me to do the opposite of what I was doing, which is not the correct thing for me to do at this point and time. I did feel hurt by her comments, as just because I am studying psychotherapy, does not mean I am perfect.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

well my mates laugh at me all the time when i start talking about psychology.
    im not really taken that serious i get the same for nlp too lol.but i dont take offence they dont know any better.
    i guess in your situation i would do what i felt i needed to do and not take any offence at people calling me wrong or incorrect.
    we have to learn from our mistakes and any people that judge without really knowing i consider there insults entertainment and laugh alot.i honestly find it funny sometimes.
    i guess after reading up on a few things i have made choices others thought strange,with that also when i know im right it doesnt matter if someone says im wrong they must give me reasonable doubt before i will decide otherwise.
    i have cured myself of physical sicknessess by not listening to others and going ahead with what i have researched instead.
    not that friends are always wrong.but thats what there there for sometimes to help you decide even if its through objection :)

ps. im sure there is a reason for your friend to come across like that.people all have there own issues wether you trigger them or not.possibbly she was just having one of those days/weeks or is jealous of you for something.or just doesnt understand the situation from your perspective.
    i wouldnt take it personally.just be thankful you have the gift of understanding :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Hi OP,

I think that people feel threatened by friends who are psycotherapists/psychologists/ect. I think it comes from a nervousness that perhaps the psychotherapist can almost read their mind or know what's going on for that person and that always causes a defensive attitude. I think people generally find this a little disconcering which comes from a lack of understanding of this area more than anything. maybe this is why your friend is acting this way? I don't know, just thought i'd add a little thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Lillylilly

I agree with the OP, a lot of people I've met tend to think that because you've studied psychology, you have no insecurities and have the ability to solve all your own emotional issues. When I first started studying, I found that when I spoke with friends, they would think I was "sussing them out" or secretly analysing them. I also found it harder to give advice (as I always would have done) because they would think I was trying to counsel them.

I think it takes a while for friends and family to fully understand what psychology is, and how you, as a person are still the same- just a little more knowledgable.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

I was absolutely shocked with the reaction that I got from some people when I started studying psychology (1yr fetac course ffs:rolleyes:) some people seemed to believe that since i am studying psychology that I must have some extraordinary brainpower and insight that I was (able to) analysing every word they were saying

I think the best response is that im way to self-absorbed to be analysing you:P

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

Lillylilly wrote: »
    I agree with the OP, a lot of people I've met tend to think that because you've studied psychology, you have no insecurities and have the ability to solve all your own emotional issues. .

Oh the irony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

My friends don't treat me any differently because they know that there's no clinical training at undergraduate level and that I have absolutely no interest in clinical outside of neuropsychology. Most of the time when I'm speaking to somebody new and what I study comes up, they ask me if I can read their minds and are severely disappointed at the quality of my course when I say that no, that's not what we study. It just takes so bloody long to explain to people that psychology isn't just about mental health.

Advertisement