Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1.99 for burbon creams?

Options
  • 14-12-2009 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

in a local centra they were selling a small packet (200g) of Bolands burbon creams for 99c, which is supposedly half price

so they were either never €1.99, in which case it's false advertising
    or their standard price IS €1.99 which is a gigantic rip off

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

€1.99 for 200g is about €10 per kilo, this is what I would expect to pay for biscuits in a convenience store. I would hope my family would have me commited to an insane asylum if I did go shopping for biscuits in a convenience store though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There are and never were such things as reasonably priced Irish manufactured biscuits. I'm surprised that any of them have still got the neck to charge what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

in a local centra they were selling a small packet (200g) of Bolands burbon creams for 99c, which is supposedly half price

so they were either never €1.99, in which case it's false advertising
    or their standard price IS €1.99 which is a gigantic rip off

i know personally its not half price and where ever you saw that advertised should take it down.was it on a sign?

Bolands have a massive range of biscuits out there all marked at 99c and thats the price for them in dunnes tescos etc also

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

38 cent in Tesco, god i love big multinational stores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

rubadub wrote: »
    €1.99 for 200g is about €10 per kilo, this is what I would expect to pay for biscuits in a convenience store. I would hope my family would have me commited to an insane asylum if I did go shopping for biscuits in a convenience store though.

That is obviously wrong. But your comments are uncalled for. Try going to Tesco or Dunnes Friday week. They will be closed, but we wont be.

• Advertisement

That is obviously wrong. But your comments are uncalled for. Try going to Tesco or Dunnes Friday week. They will be closed, but we wont be.

I must remember to stock up on bargain Bourbon Creams well in advance in that case, and all the bargain festive trimmings.:D

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I must remember to stock up on bargain Bourbon Creams well in advance in that case, and all the bargain festive trimmings.:D

Isnt that what you are supposed to do?

The small local shops are there for things you forget, for last minute items....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭richiepoorman

The small local shops are there for things you forget, for last minute items....

Not really when most Tescos are open 24hours, or 7am to Midnight.:)

We are talking about small shops not big superstores.

Last week, my wife went into small tesco baggot st, and saw roses tin for 12 quid. She did a double take as I have them for 7.99

Big superstores = generally cheaper prices.

Small local shops = convieniance and some higher prices and service.

Dont make the mistake of comparing the two.

If in doubt, check out the numerous Tesco threads on boards.

No-one can afford to forget in some places around the country. :( I have to make sure I've still got my shirt when I leave some local shops.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly you may have to.

But you cannot compare mulitnational superstores with small local shops.

That is obviously wrong.
    What is wrong?:confused: To expect to pay more in convenience stores?
    But your comments are uncalled for.
    Which comments? I think people would be mad to go shopping there, sure if you are stuck it is often cheaper than spending petrol & time going a distance to get stuff, that is not what I meant by "shopping". I am always puzzled at the amount of items I see in some of the shops, I have rarely ever seen people buying items like that. I can honestly not remember the last time I paid over the odds for stuff, in any shop. Also there are amazing bargains to be got in convenience stores these days, many items are cheaper than the major supermarkets.
    Try going to Tesco or Dunnes Friday week. They will be closed, but we wont be.
    Who is "we", do you work/own a centra? my mate managed one and it was always closed on Christmas day, is yours really open? In fact the centra I used to go to most was closed every saturday & sunday. I am about 200m from my local tesco which is 24hrs which is very convenient for me. I have only ever seen petrol stations really open on christmas day, I bet if major supermarkets dared to try and open there would be uproar from the church and calls to boycott them.

No I dont own a centra, but I do own a small store in the dublin suburbs.

The comments I referred to were the referral to an insane asylum (pure silly/stupid)

"what is obviously wrong" is in referral to the sign suggesting the biscuits were now half price.

My store has always opened for a few hours on christmas day. The previous owner did it and the owner before him. I will be standing here for a few hours, on my own as a service to my customers, then - home to the stolly and coke! If you are out in the country, you may not see or need stores open on christmas day, but in dublin, a lot are open.

I am an owner/manager and work for myself but have no connection whatsoever to Centra or the original store in question.

I am here meerly to point out you cannot compare a local, small community store to a Tesco. Their buying power and muscle (sometimes used to bully suppliers) puts them in a different league to us (us = local shops)

What is wrong?:confused: To expect to pay more in convenience stores?

Which comments? I think people would be mad to go shopping there, sure if you are stuck it is often cheaper than spending petrol & time going a distance to get stuff, that is not what I meant by "shopping". I am always puzzled at the amount of items I see in some of the shops, I have rarely ever seen people buying items like that. I can honestly not remember the last time I paid over the odds for stuff, in any shop. Also there are amazing bargains to be got in convenience stores these days, many items are cheaper than the major supermarkets.

Who is "we", do you work/own a centra? my mate managed one and it was always closed on Christmas day, is yours really open? In fact the centra I used to go to most was closed every saturday & sunday. I am about 200m from my local tesco which is 24hrs which is very convenient for me. I have only ever seen petrol stations really open on christmas day, I bet if major supermarkets dared to try and open there would be uproar from the church and calls to boycott them.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

There are and never were such things as reasonably priced Irish manufactured

Bolands biscuits are not manufactured in Ireland

Quite possibly you may have to.

But you cannot compare mulitnational superstores with small local shops.

The comparison suited your purpose when you mentioned the price of Roses being cheaper in your shop than in Tesco.:p

Anyway, small shops would be more competitive were they themselves not getting ripped off by the wholesalers that aren't playing the deflation game.

Bolands biscuits are not manufactured in Ireland

My apologies for missing that out.

It's the same with many other old Irish brands that have pulled out of manufacturing here, which is even more reason why those goods shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Their costs have reduced substantially, but the goods are still being sold at a price reflecting what the cost would have been had they still been processed here.

The comparison suited your purpose when you mentioned the price of Roses being cheaper in your shop than in Tesco.:p

Anyway, small shops would be more competitive were they themselves not getting ripped off by the wholesalers that aren't playing the deflation game.

Er no. Not in the way you are thinking. You cannot class Tesco in Baggot St as being a superstore. Its is a small "local" store so it is relevant as the prices are not the same as the superstores.

There IS a difference between the tesco convienience (spelling) and the superstores. Check it out for yourself and you will see.

My apologies for missing that out.

It's the same with many other old Irish brands that have pulled out of manufacturing here, which is even more reason why those goods shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. Their costs have reduced substantially, but the goods are still being sold at a price reflecting what the cost would have been had they still been processed here.

I stopped dealing with cadburys last year when they sent in easter eggs costing more than the supermarkets were selling them for. Then I see an advert on TV for Morrisons selling them for a pound.

Quick phone call to the brother in bray who happened to be in liverpool. The whole family went in and bought the quota of 6 eggs each. Next morning the eggs arrived on norfolkline and I sold them at the same price as the supermarkets. I carnt BUYthem at the price they SELL them.

On the subject of foreign manufacturing, I had a problem with rolls of Cadbury chocolate eclairs not being glued shut and were all open.

The reps reply?

POLISH GLUE !

Two weeks ago I saw Natural Confectionary bags in Superquinn for a euro.

My COST price? 2.00 approx.

I could go on and on but this is my final post on this thread - I think I have said enough and if you dont see the other side of the story now, you never will

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

personally - I buy in my local Centra/Superquinn .... prices may be higher but I find that when I goto Tesco's I end out spending twice as much as I get ideas for dinners 3/4 days in a row (and of course the food is gone off by then)

As for the bourbons ? why would you buy them.... get a nice chocolate digestive or similar biscuit.

I do jump between the two local stores for cheaper prices - for example in Superquinn they have "rolling back the prices" Muller Rice priced from 81cent to 79cent.....but across the street in Centra its 77c (regular price)...... havent priced them in tesco and cant be bothered.

Anyway - I buy a day or maybe 2 days in advance.... at my local shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Right, you seem altogether too defensive superscouse. The OP basically in my opinion was lamenting the fact that a convienence store was selling a rudimentary packet of biscuits for almost €2.

Now I think Irish people need to learn that convienence stores are exactly that - there for your convienence and you pay a price for that. There is no point complaining about the prices in them which are sometimes astronomical. I appreciate that being a small fish in a big ocean will result in wholesalers charging what they like to you which is why certain items are more expensive - you have to make a living too.

My final thoughts are;

OP: It's expensive but get over it to be honest. Hit Tesco next time or whatever but realise that you pay for convienence in a convienence store. €1 isn't too bad either if you really wanted them (I know your issue was with them being €2 though).

superscouse: There's no need to go on the defensive. I know you own a shop and it's natural to want to give consumers a reason why some prices are high, and that's to be respected. But there's no need to be piping on about how you open on Xmas day and Tesco doesn't. It doesn't serve to further the argument and seems petty imo.

• Advertisement

I could go on and on but this is my final post on this thread - I think I have said enough and if you dont see the other side of the story now, you never will

What "other side of the story"?:confused:

"what is obviously wrong" is in referral to the sign suggesting the biscuits were now half price.
    Ah right, it was right under my quoted post so thought it was something about my post.
    The comments I referred to were the referral to an insane asylum (pure silly/stupid)
    Yes, it was supposed to be a silly/humourous comment, as silly as to expect a convenience store to be similar prices to supermarkets.
    I am here meerly to point out you cannot compare a local, small community store to a Tesco. Their buying power and muscle (sometimes used to bully suppliers) puts them in a different league to us (us = local shops)
    +1

Advertisement