Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quitting a phd.....

Options
  • 14-12-2009 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I am currently in my second year of a phd but it is not going well.....badly structured and badly managed.....I am wondering what are my options??? If I quit will anybody even hire me?!?! Any help or advice is welcome, thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Have you thought long and hard about it? Maybe take some time over the Christmas to get your head around what is going on?

I know when I was doing my masters, I nearly packed it in on two occasions, so I know how you feel (well, to a certain extent).

What other qualifications have you? Are there many opportunities in your field? Is quitting better than being on the dole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tigg

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for that, ya I have been thinking about it since about March but I've been holding on in the hope that things might get better. I will take the break over Christmas to think about it some more and discuss it with my family before I talk to my supervisor again.

I have an undergraduate degree, I am an analytical chemist basically, there doesnt seem to be many job opportunities out there at the minute, I have organised a meeting with the careers service in college so hopefully they will be able to give me some pointers....

I would love to stay and finish the phd, I would love to go into lecturing, but there really just comes a stage when enough is enough.....

Do you know whether employers frown upon people who quit postgrad courses? I know its definately not going reflect well on me eventhough I feel I have given it my all...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

A lot of phd students go through a bad patch around the end of year one...I know I did. I think the grim reality of the thing sets in or something and huge self doubt hits home thats very hard to see through.

If your supervisor really is useless and you're set on going, you should consider writing up a research masters...so at least you won't have wasted all the effort and time you've put into it so far. You can start looking for jobs as you write up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You should definitely write it up as a masters if you do decide to leave: otherwise you'll get nothing back in terms of time "time lost".

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

I feel your pain my dear. I'm in the exact same boat, except I only started mine 2 months ago and I've kind of hated it from day one.

I thought that the first few months was when it was supposed to be great but I haven't settled into a routine at all and to be honest I've not done a whole lot of work either which is bad as I'm already bull ****ting my way through reviews.

Do try and get whatever you can from it.If you can get some sort of a masters then go for it, even if you know that it will take til march or may or whatever at least knowing you are getting near the end and will end up with something will help.

So guys if its ok to hijack this thread can you share your exp with me? Is it bad that I dont like it and its only the start of month 3 and im thinking of quitting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Roro4Brit wrote: »
    I feel your pain my dear. I'm in the exact same boat, except I only started mine 2 months ago and I've kind of hated it from day one.

I thought that the first few months was when it was supposed to be great but I haven't settled into a routine at all and to be honest I've not done a whole lot of work either which is bad as I'm already bull ****ting my way through reviews.

Do try and get whatever you can from it.If you can get some sort of a masters then go for it, even if you know that it will take til march or may or whatever at least knowing you are getting near the end and will end up with something will help.

So guys if its ok to hijack this thread can you share your exp with me? Is it bad that I dont like it and its only the start of month 3 and im thinking of quitting?

I'm starting year three and still feel as if I haven't done anything. Most would probably say something similar, the feeling of stalling or time wasting never goes away, despite the fact that you probably are (as I realise myself in some few moments of clarity :) ) doing the necessary work. If that is the problem, then stick at it. I haven't met many people who are able to sustain a love of their topic for any length of time - I am close to hating mine at this point, but it slowly becomes 'work'. All I know from working various jobs over the years is that no matter how much I may hate it at times, I am better off doing what I am doing.

If your hate for the subject is beyond bearable, then stop. But do write up a research masters - it is better to leave with something. You still have the lab experience, new techniques learned etc... Putting that down on paper and getting the degree is worth a few more months effort. If you want lecturing, then you are in it for the long haul. I chose this path and my time is divided (probably evenly) between research and teaching - both of which you will need to compete on the jobs market. It will probably take me five years to finish (I am social science), but the teaching side should give you some competitive advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tigg

Thanks for the comments everyone, I will definately take the couple of weeks over xmas to decide on what to do

Roro4Brit, hope your situation improves,the first few months are usually useless anyway but if your really hating what your doing then it might be time to re-assess or think back to what motivated you into accepting the phd in the first place, it might help you re-focus or you'll know for sure that you dont want to continue....goodluck! :)

Advertisement