Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A true Google phone appears to be imminent

• 14-12-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

Rumours have circulated over the last few months that Google is preparing its own mobile handset. Google has not yet commented but Mario Queiroz, Google’s vice president of product management, wrote yesterday on the Google Mobile blog that the company had given its employees a new mobile device to test.
    Queiroz said that Google employees were testing “a device that combines innovative hardware from a partner with software that runs on Android to experiment with new mobile features and capabilities”.

Source: The Telegraph

So what's Google up to? It's giving phone makers the Android OS, now it's technically competing with them? Doesn't make good business, sense, one would think.

Or is it all part of their master plan, along with Chrome OS for world domination?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Source: The Telegraph

So what's Google up to? It's giving phone makers the Android OS, now it's technically competing with them? Doesn't make good business, sense, one would think.

Or is it all part of their master plan, along with Chrome OS for world domination?

they also have a vested interested in wimax i believe so...

android + google phone+ own network = they will know EVERYTHING About you lol

ok alittle sensationalist but it does give them more access to data about you and how to target you for advertisement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

My mates gf works for google and shes in san fran at the moment, shes been given some kind of new phone and was balthering on about it, but i was half listening...its probably this one...she did say its not even out yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Seems to be made by HTC from reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Lots of info here people.Behold the Nexus One

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/14/exclusive-first-google-phone-nexus-one-photos-android-2-1-on/

GIMME!GIMME!GIMME!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Might have to sell my Galaxy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭granturismo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't see the big deal. It's a phone that looks to have a similar enough design to most HTC phones and runs stock Android.

Sure it might end up being google branded but I don't see how that makes it a better phone. It just gives more marketing power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

matrim wrote: »
    I don't see the big deal. It's a phone that looks to have a similar enough design to most HTC phones and runs stock Android.

Sure it might end up being google branded but I don't see how that makes it a better phone. It just gives more marketing power.

agreed and I have always found google very hit and miss with everything they bring out so I would be a bit weary of this. (well except for the fact that it may just be a HTC under a different name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

HTC will probably hide the OS with it's own much nice GUI like they did with the Hero. I mean just look at the screenshots of it on Engadget, it looks awful! :eek:

GigaByte wrote: »
    HTC will probably hide the OS with it's own much nice GUI like they did with the Hero. I mean just look at the screenshots of it on Engadget, it looks awful! :eek:
    Whats wrong with it?:confused:
    Its simple and to the point.Ive always liked the stock Android(well except the gallery app.Thats just muck)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Stevokenevo

It runs Android 2.1 and in side by side comparisons is spanking the iPhone on speed tests for various apps :o) HTC built but not branded.

It runs Android 2.1 and in side by side comparisons is spanking the iPhone on speed tests for various apps :o) HTC built but not branded.
    Where might I find these them there speed tests? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

+1

Definitely not too blown away by it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Doesn't make good business, sense, one would think.

Good business sense, I'd think. Let the early adopters work out the kinks with Android, let the app store build up, then sell THE Android phone (looks that way at least*), using Google's advertising power. Carriers might be sickened, but that's business.

*From hype, not specs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've been playing around with it and I must say I'm sold, it's on the top of my shopping list! Screen is very beautiful, very crisp and the phone looks great. Those pics online don't do it justice. The only thing I'm not so sold on is the trackball, wonder how it will survive being in the pocket and lint getting stuck to it. Would prefer the blackberry approach with the touchpad. Plus the blinking light in the trackball when you get a call is very annoying, not sure if that can be turned off. The android interface is sweet, you can now swipe left and right (or maybe that was always the case) and it felt like I was using an iphone when I first saw it :) It is very thin though which makes me wonder what the battery will be like, no one has had it long enough to give an answer. Think I will be getting me one of these!

Advertisement