Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing 1500 words on building a computer vs buying

Options
  • 14-12-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hey guys, im doing a communications assignment which is due this week, and its 1500 words on anything you want.

so ive decided to do mine on a comparison between buying a fully made computer from the likes of dell compared to buying the parts from the likes of dabs/komplett and building it yourself.

im looking for a few pointer's to get me through it.

so far, the advantages would be
    : cost

thats about it so far :p

any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Advantages:
    - Well obviously saving money like you have mentioned.
    - Learning new skills and understanding your PC better.
    - More likely you'll be able to fix the PC should any problems arise down the line.
    - Online communities are great for support and advice.

Disadvantages:
    - More time consuming.
    - More of a chance you'll mess something up during construction and render an item of hardware useless (Static discharge on motherboards?).
    - RMA process can be a pain depending on which parts supplier your dealing with.

Thats just off the top off my head, I'm sure there are more. I'd say do a for section and an against section then tie them together in a summary/conclusion. The main point would be that if you were anyway interested in PC's you would be better off building yourself but if you have no interest and just want a PC that works then buying from the likes of Dell is the way to go. Also I wouldnt get too technical if its going to be read by someone who is not that into computer hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Jebus, i could write 1500 words just on why not to buy a ready made pc, let alone the rest of it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

From a normal person's point of view, I think the only advantage is the cost saving, and nothing else really, the thought of my mother trying to assemble a PC is absurb. If you get some satisfaction from it then I think you are one of the below and probably already into PC's.

From a novice to experienced tech enthusiast there are many advantage's to it, from customisation for particular tasks, to power saving, to overclocking ability, to building an ultra budget PC, etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

The comparison is not as straight forward as you might think.
    Complete customisation is a very valid point, that is until you consider that some top retailers will allow you to add whatever you feel like into a prospective build.

I think for this essay to work you have to add into the equation a budget.
    For instance "Building vs. Buying at E1000" At that price you will not get many machines that are fully customisable(other than the builds that hardwareversand do)

For the sake of the relevance of your essay you might actually want to disregard hardwareversand altogether. lol their E20 to build anything is just too good!

You could while disregarding hardwareversand.de focus on the customisability of computers and how that is also important. Getting the most recent chipsets in a mobo, with required cooling, overclocking options + so forth which would otherwise not be available with a DELL for a similar budget.

You could also go on about aesthetics too, being able to choose a case that looks good and is the right size for you. Knowing that the psu you have is efficient and "helping the environment"

There are lots more too don't forget either about the greater sense of achievement(how great it feels when the fans power up the first time:D) and of course the learning curve which you go through to get to that point.

Building a pc is a skill for life.

Not sure what any of that has to do with "Communications" though! :?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Effluo wrote: »

its an assignment which our lecturer gave us for the end of year.

its basically 1500 words on "anything" as long as its referenced to 1 book and 2 websites.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

He has to write a random essay to prove to his Comms or Study/Support Skills lecturer (they all do this kinda **** :rolleyes: ) that he can write random essays :rolleyes:

And I think Eff hit a point there: boiled down, it gives the little guy the power to do what he needs. If you needed a generic system for basic tasks then there's little issue with getting one "off-the-shelf". If you were building a premium system there's no shortage of companies who'll happily do it for you no matter how absurd the customisation. But for us peasants who want to do something specific and can only spring for something in the €400-€800 range... how many companies will listen to us and put together something appropriate without ripping us off or ignoring us altogether?! Not Dell or HP, that's for sure! What if you have specific requirements? Coding, Imaging/DTP, HTPCs or *SHOCK! HORROR!* want to play a 3D game?! Few companies offer a cheapish machine with a realistic balance between components for the task at hand (indeed almost everyone will attempt to leverage overkill CPUs to some extent!) In the end you almost have no choice other than spend twice as much, get half the spec, or do a quick bit of research and put it all together yourself. And that's a joke for any victims of The Lego Generation out there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

OP, don't be fooled by the nerds in here trying to rationalize the topic. Only two reasons for building your own:

1. It's a natural progression from playing with Lego

2. Everest argument: "Because it's there"! :D

<edit> Maybe another one: We don't like other people handling our gear.

<edit2> @Solitaire: You overtook me on the lego issue for the whole 30sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

i'm not overly sure on this one but when you but a computer off the likes of dell you get a one year standard warrenty but when you but individual parts they can come with 3 year warrentys

boobies boobies

I'm a bit fooked
    but the fact remains tha builing is the best option

youtube ouv't

boobies boobies

I'm a bit fooked

youtube ouv't

O_o

o_O

Stoned, boi lol.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

and at 10 to 7 in the good evenin of a monday. Shame on you ;)

boobies boobies

I'm a bit fooked

youtube ouv't

lolers

yeah soz about that

Just got home there and was afraid i did somthin like this. xmas day in Maynooth bleugh!

Wow, 'nooth has Xmas a fortnight before the rest of the world! lol.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was in Maynooth on Saturday night and it is indeed a strange place. Rain falls upwards and people drive on the right, madness I tell ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Anti wrote: »
    Jebus, i could write 1500 words just on why not to buy a ready made pc, let alone the rest of it ;)

Truer words were never spoken except perhaps by Eric Idle. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 thepieman12345

Advantages:
    - Well obviously saving money like you have mentioned.
    - Learning new skills and understanding your PC better.
    - More likely you'll be able to fix the PC should any problems arise down the line.
    - Online communities are great for support and advice.

Disadvantages:
    - More time consuming.
    - More of a chance you'll mess something up during construction and render an item of hardware useless (Static discharge on motherboards?).
    - RMA process can be a pain depending on which parts supplier your dealing with.

Thats just off the top off my head, I'm sure there are more. I'd say do a for section and an against section then tie them together in a summary/conclusion. The main point would be that if you were anyway interested in PC's you would be better off building yourself but if you have no interest and just want a PC that works then buying from the likes of Dell is the way to go. Also I wouldnt get too technical if its going to be read by someone who is not that into computer hardware.

i have also noticed that warrenties are for a longer timeframe. like dells average of 1-3 years where if you buy seperate parts they go more along 3,5 or upto 10

but thats just what i have noticed from the parts in my computer :)

and you can make it all cooler with custom watercooling loops and stuff increasing the lifespan of the computer parts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

i have also noticed that warrenties are for a longer timeframe. like dells average of 1-3 years where if you buy seperate parts they go more along 3,5 or upto 10

but thats just what i have noticed from the parts in my computer :)

and you can make it all cooler with custom watercooling loops and stuff increasing the lifespan of the computer parts

The advantage of places like dell is that you can usually upgrade the warranty to next business day in home warranty. Not everyone might want that but it can come in handy.

Advertisement