Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Security differences between ubuntu and apple mac

• 14-12-2009 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Hi

Both os's use unix so what, if any differences are there between linux and mac os?

Also given how unix platforms are more secure than windows, why does windows continue to dominate the market share?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Hi

Both os's use unix so what, if any differences are there between linux and mac os?

Also given how unix platforms are more secure than windows, why does windows continue to dominate the market share?

I could type a gigantic reply to this.. But frankly I'm too lazy! :D

Mac = BSD based.

Ubuntu = Linux Kernel

Windows = Dominates DESKTOP market share.

Why? Closed Source.

Unix dominates the Server market share. I think alexa's top 100 web servers are like...

60% Linux
    20% BSD
    10% Windows (Most of which are Microsoft owned websites.)
    10% Other

I'm sure others will expand on my post.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the question may be asked instead - why does microsoft Office dominate ?

because it's easy to link into backoffice, exchange / mssql etc such that you can easily use office as frontend for reports and stuff

many integrated systems are built that way, which results in hidden costs for large software systems if you also need to buy licenses for office for the clients for word / excel / access to access the systems

there is also the network effect , where it's easier for companies to just keep using office since everyone uses office and easier to share files (in theory - office 97 / office 2007 - should have been reminders that it ain't necessiarly so )

Apps like AutoCAD only run on office, licenses cost more than the PC's so a no-brainer there. DirectX 10 likewise means some games won't run on anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

So basically microsoft are the market leaders who monopolize the market forcing people to use their crappy software, all the while consumers are paying high premiums for licenses and getting hacked via the security holes in internet explorer and the windows operating system. I wonder how many of these consumers are as a direct result of the new windows marketing campaign-ie 'Im a windows pc and i can do anything' 'use windows for a life without walls'. To be honest i really pity anyone stupid enough to fall for this. Most computers these days should come by default with linux distributions such as Ubuntu. Instead most computers are shipped with a bloated windows operating system, internet explorer which cant be uninstalled without sacrificing windows updates and a variety of other crapware, norton/maccaffee etc. It is disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Im glad you like Mint/Ubuntu :)

The continued market dominance of Windows is based on a number of factors, including, unfortunately, the continued market dominance of Windows. People dont/wont/cant use *nix distros for some reasons:
    • Lack of peripherals support. I cant really connect my mp3 player to Ubuntu. The software I use to manage it - Gnomad2 - is very touch and go. Since Ive started using Ubuntu Ive only changed the songs on my player 3 or 4 times - and one of those times was in Windows.
      The way this will change is if hardware vendors write drivers for Linux. However until such a time as Linux is popular they wont. Its either a Catch-22 or a Chicken and egg scenario, depending on how pessimistic you are.
    • Lack of software. Some people rely on enterprise software such as AutoCad. This isn't available for *nix: "big" software rarely is. The noble exception is Mathematica, which was originally written for Mac. Games also dont work well.
    • Desire for consistency. This is actually a biggish one. People want to be on Windows because their work mates are. That way they can easily exchange data. Using a Linux system requires added work if you wish to interact with Windows users for document editing.

Saying that, Im convinced that Linux is suitable for many people. Most, however, are not prepared to learn a new OS and will be very skeptical. There are too many minor inconveniences on Linux for a Windows user. However I consider Ubuntu to be better than Windows for what it is. I think it is faster and more responsive, makes it easier to install software and easier to configure. And of course the big one: supposedly more secure. Nothing beats responding to someone telling you about the latest virus scare by shrugging "I dont care, Im using Linux." :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

TDOie wrote: »
    I could type a gigantic reply to this.. But frankly I'm too lazy! :D
    Mac = BSD based.

It's actually based on the XNU kernel, which uses the Mach
    micro kernel as a base, plus some BSD and NeXTSTEP userland
    libraries/utilities.

The BSD portion is mainly the user level stuff like ifconfig, and not the actual
    code from the BSD kernel. Pedantic I know, but Mac == BSD won't pass:pac:

• Advertisement

won't run on anything else.

At the cost of total lock in to the consumer...
    None of their own products can be described as fundamentally "innovative".

It really, really pisses me off that Microsoft deliberately bork their own
    implementations of common, industry adopted, open protocols such as
    Kerberos and LDAP.

It's pathetic that they force people into their way...or the highway, simply
    because they are in a position to abuse their power. Greedy c4nts tbh.

Im glad you like Mint/Ubuntu :)

The continued market dominance of Windows is based on a number of factors, including, unfortunately, the continued market dominance of Windows. People dont/wont/cant use *nix distros for some reasons:
    • Lack of peripherals support. I cant really connect my mp3 player to Ubuntu. The software I use to manage it - Gnomad2 - is very touch and go. Since Ive started using Ubuntu Ive only changed the songs on my player 3 or 4 times - and one of those times was in Windows.
      The way this will change is if hardware vendors write drivers for Linux. However until such a time as Linux is popular they wont. Its either a Catch-22 or a Chicken and egg scenario, depending on how pessimistic you are.
    • Lack of software. Some people rely on enterprise software such as AutoCad. This isn't available for *nix: "big" software rarely is. The noble exception is Mathematica, which was originally written for Mac. Games also dont work well.
    • Desire for consistency. This is actually a biggish one. People want to be on Windows because their work mates are. That way they can easily exchange data. Using a Linux system requires added work if you wish to interact with Windows users for document editing.

Saying that, Im convinced that Linux is suitable for many people. Most, however, are not prepared to learn a new OS and will be very skeptical. There are too many minor inconveniences on Linux for a Windows user. However I consider Ubuntu to be better than Windows for what it is. I think it is faster and more responsive, makes it easier to install software and easier to configure. And of course the big one: supposedly more secure. Nothing beats responding to someone telling you about the latest virus scare by shrugging "I dont care, Im using Linux." :pac:

The solution to the first problem is to simply buy a music player that
    allows manipulation of it's contents as a standard mass storage device.
    Apple are imposing these restrictions because people don't give a damn.

Would you buy a usb thumb drive if it forced a stupid access mechanism
    on you? Keeping up with Apples oppressive methods is not a Linux/OSS thing.

Gnomad is a hack to a crap product imo. There is a limited selection of games
    granted, but any Unix system has a crap game library in comparison to Windows.
    I would place Linux as near equal to the Mac in terms of games support/avail.

Enterprise apps are a problem. They would be developed for all systems in
    a perfect world, but sadly this is not the case. I actually threatened to move
    my bank account because the support was safari/firefox/IE on windows and
    Mac only.

People should not stand for this crap. it degrades the principles of the www
    and open standards. Soon we will hear MS trying to patent a for loop at this rate.
    ASP, FLASH, C# .NET, Adobe crap ect are basterdizing the web at present.

Gnome is actually a pretty consistant UI, could you give an example
    situation where it's harder to share files between windows and other
    systems, assuming we are not talking about windows only stuff?

I am not agaisnt non free software, I use the NVIDIA binary blob and play
    many non free games. I have a problem where closed solutions are actively
    trying to eradicate open standards and formats. A step backwards essentially.

/rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I dont know if youve picked my up wrong Naikon! I am a strong supported of open source, am constantly nagging those around me to get open source software etc. My list was a compilation of certain reasons I see why people dont take me up on my offers.
    Naikon wrote: »
    The solution to the first problem is to simply buy a music player that allows manipulation of it's contents as a standard mass storage device.

I bought my mp3 player before my divine conversion. Next time I buy one I will ensure that it will work with Ubuntu - and ill go on further and make sure it can play open source codecs. However one has to realize that my consistent using of *nix OS's entails a certain lifestyle change. This may not appeal to people!
    I actually threatened to move my bank account because the support was safari/firefox/IE on windows and Mac only.

And you were totally right to do that. Even if your comparatively small threat made only a few people realize "oh we better pay attention to Linux" then I would deem it a success.
    People should not stand for this crap.

Damn right! I generally go out of my way to use free and open source stuff, and will advertise same. Why do you think propriety formats such as flash are so popular? Is it another case of the consumer has it so the producer has it so the consumer has it?
    Gnome is actually a pretty consistant UI, could you give an example situation where it's harder to share files between windows and other systems, assuming we are not talking about windows only stuff?

I didnt mean networking; I meant .doc files and the like. People want to use the same Office software as their mates so that their files aren't bastardized in transmission. I heard that this was why Windows gobbled up so much of the market initially? People wanted to know the same terminal commands for their computer as their friends computer.

I dont know if youve picked my up wrong Naikon! I am a strong supported of open source, am constantly nagging those around me to get open source software etc. My list was a compilation of certain reasons I see why people dont take me up on my offers.

I bought my mp3 player before my divine conversion. Next time I buy one I will ensure that it will work with Ubuntu - and ill go on further and make sure it can play open source codecs. However one has to realize that my consistent using of *nix OS's entails a certain lifestyle change. This may not appeal to people!

And you were totally right to do that. Even if your comparatively small threat made only a few people realize "oh we better pay attention to Linux" then I would deem it a success.

Damn right! I generally go out of my way to use free and open source stuff, and will advertise same. Why do you think propriety formats such as flash are so popular? Is it another case of the consumer has it so the producer has it so the consumer has it?

I didnt mean networking; I meant .doc files and the like. People want to use the same Office software as their mates so that their files aren't bastardized in transmission. I heard that this was why Windows gobbled up so much of the market initially? People wanted to know the same terminal commands for their computer as their friends computer.

Good points:)

Sorry if my tone appears a bit "angry" just tends to make the topic
    heat up because the criticism brigade "comes to the rescue" when
    my tone appears "angry".

Reading your earlier posts shows you are open minded about computing
    which is great. My goal was not to attack you. I know you are a big OSS supporter.

I do agree that people don't want to make the same "sacrifices" as you though.
    If people actually challenged Apple about the whole access thing, they would
    have to listen. People generally only want hip and flashy stuff though:D

Soon the horrors of a MSN only world wide web will enter my dreams!
    Knackered now, so off to bed. Night Lunix users..zzzzzzz

Advertisement