Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deterring birds from chimney stack

• 14-12-2009 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone suggest good ways of stopping birds congregating on top of a chimney stack ? They are making a terrible racket down the flues into the rooms in my house where there are open fireplaces. My flues have cowls on them but the neighbours flues in the same stack are open, and they may be nesting in them. They tend to sit on top of the neighbours pots and tweet or crow down mine, giving me an almost permanent full volume nature soundtrack. The solution has to be a silent or near silent one, and I dont want to use spikes as that would create a danger for anyone maintaining the flues in the future. Anyone have any suggestions ? They'd be greatly appreciated . Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I'd talk to the neighbours and ask them to install cowls also. Can't think of anything else other than a dummy deterrent. Our office block uses lifesize owls to deter other birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Keep the fire lit regularly, the smoke will deter them but don't do it during nesting season when they could have chicks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Use the flexible spikes proper pest control companies supply. They're made of plastic as far as I know and are fairly flexible. They shouldn't be a risk to anyone who has to work in or around the chimney.

Advertisement