Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA has overcharged its customers by €18m!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Derekjames

:(:(:(

I havent heard a whisper from them altough they rang me 5 or 6 times on the 1 day about two weeks ago as I was in arrears of about €70 euro.

First time it happened to me and I learned my lesson all paid now, There
    collection activity seems to be quite ruthless and rude as I pointed out to them, I think they have a call centre in sunnier climes as well as a foreign
    speaking gent rang me after I outlined that i basically fell behind and would have it clear in a week he insisted on going through his usual call centre questions, though i clearly outlined i was paying it, My child was crying in the background and when i pointed out that i would be tending to the child as that was my priority he totally ignored me and went through his questions again I nearly went mental.

I have since closed my account because of his behaviour and will never again darken there door I pity anyone in a lot of debt with them

am looking forward to my refund although not expecting much sorry for the rant above altough feel much better know ha ha!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

My statement date is March 16th, I can see online that there were three transactions on the 17th of March:
    REFUND INTEREST GOVERNENT TAX
    COMPENSATORY INTEREST
    REFUND INTEREST
    with a posting date of March 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yeah, mine came back also, a refund of approx €160

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

And do they just put this straight into your account? What if you have a zero balance, do they send you a cheque then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i got mine also, in the region of 90euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I closed my account last year so will i get a cheque or will it slip through the net :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

yep, refund gone through

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Almost €200 in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Got a call last week saying there was fraudulent activity on my card and they cancelled it and are sending out a new one, so cannot check at the moment. I just hope they transfer my refund to my new card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Just got this month's statement....€134.96 refunded in interest..:)

• Advertisement

Derekjames wrote: »
    :(:(:(

I havent heard a whisper from them altough they rang me 5 or 6 times on the 1 day about two weeks ago as I was in arrears of about €70 euro.

First time it happened to me and I learned my lesson all paid now, There
    collection activity seems to be quite ruthless and rude as I pointed out to them, I think they have a call centre in sunnier climes as well as a foreign
    speaking gent rang me after I outlined that i basically fell behind and would have it clear in a week he insisted on going through his usual call centre questions, though i clearly outlined i was paying it, My child was crying in the background and when i pointed out that i would be tending to the child as that was my priority he totally ignored me and went through his questions again I nearly went mental.

I have since closed my account because of his behaviour and will never again darken there door I pity anyone in a lot of debt with them

am looking forward to my refund although not expecting much sorry for the rant above altough feel much better know ha ha!!!!

I went through the same grief last year...when they rang (3-4 times a day) looking for personal details re date of birth etc to verify my identity...I refused to answer and then asked the caller for his date of birth and asked him to verify his identity and that I could not state personal details over the phone to a stranger....:D...he just hung up stating that it was obviously not a good time for me and he would call back...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

My statement date is March 16th, I can see online that there were three transactions on the 17th of March:
    REFUND INTEREST GOVERNENT TAX
    COMPENSATORY INTEREST
    REFUND INTEREST
    with a posting date of March 20th.

Same here, transaction date 02/03/2010, posting day is 20/03/2010.

No actually contact from them, but the money is welcome, well timed.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i got a letter from MBNA saying they had overcharged me.

i have since cancelled the card, does this mean that i wont get my refund?

irishbird wrote: »
    i got a letter from MBNA saying they had overcharged me.

i have since cancelled the card, does this mean that i wont get my refund?

I'm in the same boat. Got the letter after i had cancelled, assume we'll hear something in the post eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Got my new card today and couldn;t wait to check online what my refund was after seeing the large amounts here, mine was €23 :( Must have been much better with my credit card than I thought :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

just got a refund of 75 euro

must be hitting them hard with so many refunds. not that i feel sorry or anything but who will feel the impact of that in the end? hopefully theres no job losses

edit

after reading the previous refund amounts i had to laugh

i thought i was bad spending 6 grand on a credit card :)

gladly that 75 quid is the last of my credit card debts. i only had 75 left on it

MBNA are one if not the biggest credit card issuer in the world and owned by Bank of America...MBNA could buy this entire country several times over...dont think they will be losing too much sleep over €18m in pixieland...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newtogame

We have had a credit card with MBNA for 8 years and would pay off balance in full every month.I forgot to pay twice in that period and the charges were hefty.I was two days late last month and then made the payment in full and the whole thing cost me 50 euro.When I rang to see why the charge was so high they told me that I lost my entitlement to the 58 days interest period for the following month !Are they having a laugh???I am going to close the account but wonder what the downside would be in clearing the balance less the penalty charges.I am furious with them and myself too for allowing this to happen.We spend about 25k per annum with our credit card.Hope they will feel the pain!!!!They also have such rude staff it is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I got 507. Mental. Definitely a mistake as I rarely paid interest.... but I cashed the cheque and they can whistle if they want it back!

3DataModem wrote: »
    I got 507. Mental. Definitely a mistake as I rarely paid interest.... but I cashed the cheque and they can whistle if they want it back!

Nice one :D a cheque :) i assume you're not a customer anymore then :confused:
    i might see something yet so :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Got a cheque for e52.00 yesterday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

looking for advice on this, had an mbna card a few years back.
    have changed address 4 or 5 times since, no idea what my account details were at the time.

any way i can go about checking if i am due a refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Mine arrived today......€1.79 :o

Now it's either going to be a bag of chips on the way home or a lotto ticket. Decisions, decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I got 7 quid!!

After years of owing a fortune and only making minimum monthly payments i got a cheque in the post for € 11.93 :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Got a cheque for €90 the other day ,fair play , credit where credits due:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

Ha! After walking away and refusing to pay my last bill as I knew they had made a mistake.... I got my cheque today, I think they withheld most of it to pay that final bill and gave me the rest - €2.63(!) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ElectraBlue

3DataModem wrote: »

LOL! Serves them right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

my better half got a 120euro refund the other day... Seems like its a substantial mistake they made. costly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

oldyouth wrote: »
    Mine arrived today......€1.79 :o

Now it's either going to be a bag of chips on the way home or a lotto ticket. Decisions, decisions

Guess you win the prize for 'smallest refund cheque' :)

Thought I had it with €5.19, which I shall be wisely investing today in hopes of a substantial increase tomorrow night :)

Advertisement