Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WIFI on Trains

• 14-12-2009 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Why in this day and age is there no WIFI on trains?

Its on the train alright but need a password its a joke like we pay for the Train, we wouldn't be happy if the toilets were locked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Toilets are neccesary, wifi is not. I believe it was offered to IR a while back but they turned it down for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

Its on the train alright but need a password

Apparently the Dublin - Cork trains have wifi but it's not connected to the Internet. It's used so the trains can download passenger-seat reservation data without having to physically connect to something at the station. There's a thread on RUI saying that they're investigating using 3G to provide wifi on some routes/trains but I don't know how far on it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

As someone involved in IT and telecoms, I would have reservations about them embarking on Wifi. I think a mickey-mouse arrangement that uses 3G as backhaul would be a waste of money - it would likely provide worse performance than even using one's own 3G modem (which can be iffy enough).

Now of course, it perhaps should be the case that a premium properly supported wifi service using some kind of fixed wireless radio system as backhaul should be something under consideration for Cork-Dublin and Dublin-Belfast.

But anything else would probably just be public money going into the pockets of the mobile phone operators who would only be delighted to "help" (i.e. they get to upgrade their mobile phone coverage along railway lines for "free").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The difference with using a personal modem being that an on-train modem could use an external antenna. However, wifi being what it is you'd need a router every three cars I'd reckon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you could always share your internet when using your 3g dongle and then everybody in the carriage would love you

If I were evil ( and I am not ) I would share the internet as CIE Train Free WiFi and then you know there would be fun the next time they went looking for that particular service and they would ate the head off CIE for not providing it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Used it on the trains in the UK with the Ipod. Very handy at passing a few hours.. They dident charge tho and as I have my own 3G stick I wouldent use it if they charged..

Advertisement