Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - FF Propoganda Machine?

Options
  • 14-12-2009 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

Having listened to their sickening right wing biased broadcasters (honourable exceptions to the excellent Off The Ball show), and now this disgraceful anti-worker, Right wing FF Propoganda "Editorial" they ran last week.....pointing the finger at and naming Gardai and Nurses, but making no reference to Banks/Developers

Especially when their Boss invites Sean Fitzpatrick to dinner..........
    http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=26901&sid=5ff53dd2075a280ad209f719646cbbb4

You have to ask....

Just how "independent" is Newstalk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I normally wouldn't jump to conclusions, but combining zero mention of bankers and speculators (the word "developers" means people who actually develop things, and development takes time and care) with inviting Sean Fitzpatrick to dinner stinks of something rotten, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Straighttalker

Good point. They also shoot down any suggestion on air that there may be a media bias against public sector workers which is the obvious truth. Very anti public service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

there about as impartial as Today FM.....which also happens to be owned by the friend of the worker and king of the tax exiles....Mr. D. O'Brien...

How often do either station make reference to the Moriarty Tribunal?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,330 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That 'editorial' was very sinister indeed, and there is a clear anti-worker agenda on the likes of the Eamonn Keane and George Hook shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Having read about Ivan Yates in the Indo this morning, and then to listen to him harp on about PS Pensions......its incredible the arrogance of this man!!! And Claire Byrne is another who has really taken the Euro and conformed. Do as your told love.....:rolleyes:

They fairly got hammered for that editorial tho! Was delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

i often think its hard to look beyond RTE if its Fine Fail leanings you want to see/hear

Marian Finuccane's weekend programme basically consisted of interviews with Bank CEO's, Tubridy fawning over Betrie Ahern recently also sickened me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

That 'editorial' was very sinister indeed, and there is a clear anti-worker agenda on the likes of the Eamonn Keane and George Hook shows.
    I find it very difficult to listen to Keane:cool:.

The 'editorial' was odd to say the least. We're all familiar with news media running editorials and it's not uncommon for them to run a piece at election/budget time advising the govt/minister what's needed etc. But for a radio station to take out space in a newspaper is odd. Maybe O'Brien wanted to help out the Indo group, in which he has a significant stake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

the public sector have RTE , vincent browne on tv 3 and the irish times , surely the rest of us can have newstalk and today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Liam79 wrote: »
    their sickening right wing biased broadcasters

right wing? are you for real?

what you really mean is more to the right than you, but certainly not right wing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Liam79 wrote: »
    Having read about Ivan Yates in the Indo this morning, and then to listen to him harp on about PS Pensions......its incredible the arrogance of this man!!!

I don't listen to the show (nor did i read the indo), but did catch about 20 seconds as I was changing channels this morning, and he seemed to say he disagreed with the PS pension arrangements, and that he was in receipt of one at the relatively young age of 50 and that it should be raised to 65... assuming i heard correct :), what's wrong with that? If I didn't, please explain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

irish_bob wrote: »
    the public sector have RTE , vincent browne on tv 3 and the irish times , surely the rest of us can have newstalk and today fm

RTE. really? Now i have to admit some shows seem well balanced but have you watched six one recently?

I don't think the public sector have that one in the bag. Its funny how you'll sometimes see Brian dobson slip a bit of his opinion in there, which he's allowed to have of course, but provided its not let slip on the national news. People do hold these figures in high regard.

Personally i'd love to just hold Sharon ni bhaoileann, even for a little while. mmmn go on, tell me the news again shaz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

the public sector have RTE

Lol is that why they created the sham story that the whole public sector was in Newry shopping when they should've been on the picket line?

Lol is that why they created the sham story that the whole public sector was in Newry shopping when they should've been on the picket line?

That's exactly the episode i was referring to. Old dobbo was giving his own two cents. Anyway, its the majority of the media. We should get the BBC in to do a piece and then play it back to all of Ireland. Or how's about John Snow (channel 4) investigates.

Now there's a show I'd watch, just to get an impartial view of things because i like everyone else here is subject to some sort of governmental conditioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

RTE. really? Now i have to admit some shows seem well balanced but have you watched six one recently?

I don't think the public sector have that one in the bag. Its funny how you'll sometimes see Brian dobson slip a bit of his opinion in there, which he's allowed to have of course, but provided its not let slip on the national news. People do hold these figures in high regard.

Personally i'd love to just hold Sharon ni bhaoileann, even for a little while. mmmn go on, tell me the news again shaz.

rte television is less pro public sector than rte radio

I wouldn't have an opinion on that as i haven't listened to the radio in a long time.

Apple killed the radio star.

That's a significant change from your earlier statement and one that from what I can see doesn't really hold water either. Certainly I don't listen to rte one but I don't think Pat Kenny is any friend of the public sector. I do listen to the news on one station though and they also protrayed the newry public sector story in the exact same light as the tv department.

oh right when did this happen, when did 'we' divide the country, the media outlets.

imme wrote: »
    oh right when did this happen, when did 'we' divide the country, the media outlets.

Its us versus them baby! You can't escape it!!!

Public Sector bashing sells these days, usually its Jordan/dancing on the xfactor ice blah bla etc.

Public Sector is flavour of the moment, but people will eventually tire of loop the loop and move on to wibbly wobbly wonder. One just wonders what the next flavorsome thing will be.....my guess is semi state employees...

ESB, VHI, CIE..... i'd get in your bunkers now...as the onslaught will begin .....

now.

Public Sector bashing sells these days, usually its Jordan/dancing on the xfactor ice blah bla etc.

Public Sector is flavour of the moment, but people will eventually tire of loop the loop and move on to wibbly wobbly wonder. One just wonders what the next flavorsome thing will be.....my guess is semi state employees...

ESB, VHI, CIE..... i'd get in your bunkers now...as the onslaught will begin .....

now.
    you could have a point there:cool:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055749678

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

lol are you mad?

whatever about keane but hook is very very much left wing and makes no bones about it. they do however have balance with their guests having many seemingly right leaning guests on the show and left leaning guests. the fact that the right usually win the argument and the left usually end up just saying its not fair its just not fair does not mean the entire station is biased.

all of the presenters i heard openly and publicly distanced themselves frm the editorial

also im pretty sure obrien has absolutely no input into the running of the station as they have repeated many a time

it comes off as a center left station that allows everyone to make their point . just because its easy for keane to pick apart a union officals argument does not mean he is right wing it just means the argument was weak. i have regularly heard moncrief / keane / hook be equally if not more so tough on goverment guests they ahve had on so much so that there are numerous ministers who wont appear on the shows anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't know much about the morning show on newstalk but the other two biggest shows keane and hook are hardly big fans of FF

in fact a lot of FF's won't even go on the shows!

Hook can be very unbalanced at times, but it's usually anti FF

newstalk a FF prpganda machine?

I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

now.

I'm afraid you're right. Heard on the radio today that the average ESB salary is €70,000. The impression created is that all ESB workers are earning this. They fail to point out that the fat cats at the top earn a lot more than the average and many workers earn a darn sight less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Moncrieff & Hookie are sitting in the palms of the Golden Circle's hands. They just don't know it. I didn't either until I read this thread which in fairness, is set around a wide range of information taken from an article from a newspaper.

Also nice to find out how average wages are worked out. You learn a lot when you open your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

ghost_ie wrote: »
    I'm afraid you're right. Heard on the radio today that the average ESB salary is €70,000. The impression created is that all ESB workers are earning this. They fail to point out that the fat cats at the top earn a lot more than the average and many workers earn a darn sight less.

It still doesn't alter that the average ESB salary is high compared with many other companies and industries. Those other companies also have top earners on high salaries, yet there average salaries manage to come in at less than the ESBs.

Hence, the only way you get such a high average is either:
    a) you have a very high high-earner:low-earner ratio in the ESB (i.e. lots of Chiefs for very few Indians), or,
    b) the low-earners in the ESB are very well paid in comparasion to the counter-parts in other companies/industries.

Both would imply there is a need for examination of how the ESB operates...

ghost_ie wrote: »

Begs to question why is it when examples on boards/tv/papers(media in general) are given averages are used instead of individual cases.

like lets say i work in company A and there's five of us working in said company.
    director earns 150,000
    advertising person earns 80,000
    logistics person 80,000
    sales person 80,000
    admin/secretarial 25,000

Now the average earned in that company is (getting calculator out....one sec...and) 83000 by adding total earnings an dividing by 5.

Now this is a real simple example with a few employees and if there was cuts in this business I'm sure it would be done fairer than what i am about to do.

Now the director is hardly going to say I'm going to take a cut, maybe they would though but for the sake of this example we'll say he/she won't.

They implement a 7% cut across the board apart from Big Boss.

This results in the people on 80,000 losing 5600 leaving them with 74,400 before taxes etc, but for the pleb on 25,000 its a loss of 1750 leaving them with 23,250 before taxes etc.

Everyone has individual circumstance and by using averages we forget this and label people...public servant...civil servant...private sector..welfare recipient etc. Its easy to argue against a percentage or group but individuals not so much.

I feel the media has a large role to play in the dehumanization of Ireland today. Like if you take a look at next weeks Prime Time.. its a special on house prices at the moment and how they will fall further. It doesn't inspire confidence in anyone or anything but creates more fear.

And as the wise yoda once said, Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Have we all not suffered enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

View wrote: »

Both would imply there is a need for examination of how the ESB operates...

At least that's no longer as a monopoly, though I've a feeling that they ain't too happy on that front.

ok ok about my previous post, donate my Oscar to charity.... for the good of the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Begs to question why is it when examples on boards/tv/papers(media in general) are given averages are used instead of individual cases.

like lets say i work in company A and there's five of us working in said company.
    director earns 150,000
    advertising person earns 80,000
    logistics person 80,000
    sales person 80,000
    admin/secretarial 25,000

Now the average earned in that company is (getting calculator out....one sec...and) 83000 by adding total earnings an dividing by 5.

Now this is a real simple example with a few employees and if there was cuts in this business I'm sure it would be done fairer than what i am about to do.

Now the director is hardly going to say I'm going to take a cut, maybe they would though but for the sake of this example we'll say he/she won't.

They implement a 7% cut across the board apart from Big Boss.

This results in the people on 80,000 losing 5600 leaving them with 74,400 before taxes etc, but for the pleb on 25,000 its a loss of 1750 leaving them with 23,250 before taxes etc.

Everyone has individual circumstance and by using averages we forget this and label people...public servant...civil servant...private sector..welfare recipient etc. Its easy to argue against a percentage or group but individuals not so much.

I feel the media has a large role to play in the dehumanization of Ireland today. Like if you take a look at next weeks Prime Time.. its a special on house prices at the moment and how they will fall further. It doesn't inspire confidence in anyone or anything but creates more fear.

And as the wise yoda once said, Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

Have we all not suffered enough?

Quite a nice image but you forget.

In a Private sector company, if they are losing money, one or more - maybe even all - of them will end up on the receiving end of compulsory redundancies. The company will take whatever actions is necessary to get back into the black.

In the Public sector though, even if the State's finances are so deep in the red they are like something from a horror movie, there is no question of compulsory redundancies being discussed here, much less implemented. And, lest that sound harsh, it is exactly what States in the US and Provinces in Canada do when their finances hit the rocks. And yes it does work...

• Advertisement

View wrote: »
    Quite a nice image but you forget.

In a Private sector company, if they are losing money, one or more - maybe even all - of them will end up on the receiving end of compulsory redundancies. The company will take whatever actions is necessary to get back into the black.

In the Public sector though, even if the State's finances are so deep in the red they are like something from a horror movie, there is no question of compulsory redundancies being discussed here, much less implemented. And, lest that sound harsh, it is exactly what States in the US and Provinces in Canada do when their finances hit the rocks. And yes it does work...

i'll take your point on board but what i'm trying to point out is the use of averages in the media being tossed about the place (and mind i'm not about to take sides here). Like for example PS unions/media will stress that 70% of Priv Sec workers haven't taken a pay cut and in the blue corner you'll have the private sector/media saying the average wage in semi states is 70,000.

Both statements are misleading and unrepresentative of the people concerned, but they are being thrown about by media with no care for consequence, that's all i have to say really.

Advertisement