Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - FF Propoganda Machine?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Its getting a bit late for me, but i'm sure we'll pick up on it 2moro,

Goodnight all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

yes but this is not a ps v private thread its a newstalk thread

and the statement that it is a ff propoganda machine is blatantly false as is it being a public sector bashing machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

The newstalk editorial in full... http://www.newstalk.ie/newstalk-statement/

It is heavy on rhetoric with very little substance, just cobbled together sound bites. The budget was the most leaked budget in history, so for newstalk to plead for the government to do x and y the day before it was announced was a bit pointless because everybody already knew what was going to be in it. A bit like "it was The Sun that won it".

Their call for "all party leaders, business leaders and trade union leaders must set aside short term gains in all our interests . All TD's must see beyond their re-election campaigns to support this vision" was just delusional. They might as well have finished the piece of with a rousing rendition of Kumbaya.

Given that texts Eamon Keane read out about the editorial were overwhelming negative and the fact it seemed to have been pulled not long after that, the whole thing would appear to have been an error of judgement by Newstalk management.

Newstalk started out with left of centre leanings. Their new boss Frank Cronin's stated aim when he took over was for the station to deliver "private sector, pro-business viewpoint that dynamic people" as distinct from what he calls "RTE's public service perspective."

This not really an ideological stance, just an effort to gain more listeners. Something they have struggled to do since going nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

The word "average" means sweet FA.
    Statistics can be used to prove anything. 70% of people know that!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

deadhead13 wrote: »
    The newstalk editorial in full... http://www.newstalk.ie/newstalk-statement/

It is heavy on rhetoric with very little substance, just cobbled together sound bites. The budget was the most leaked budget in history, so for newstalk to plead for the government to do x and y the day before it was announced was a bit pointless because everybody already knew what was going to be in it. A bit like "it was The Sun that won it".

Their call for "all party leaders, business leaders and trade union leaders must set aside short term gains in all our interests . All TD's must see beyond their re-election campaigns to support this vision" was just delusional. They might as well have finished the piece of with a rousing rendition of Kumbaya.

Given that texts Eamon Keane read out about the editorial were overwhelming negative and the fact it seemed to have been pulled not long after that, the whole thing would appear to have been an error of judgement by Newstalk management.

Newstalk started out with left of centre leanings. Their new boss Frank Cronin's stated aim when he took over was for the station to deliver "private sector, pro-business viewpoint that dynamic people" as distinct from what he calls "RTE's public service perspective."

This not really an ideological stance, just an effort to gain more listeners. Something they have struggled to do since going nationwide.

Where are you getting that from deadhead? Link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

deadhead13 wrote: »
    The newstalk editorial in full... http://www.newstalk.ie/newstalk-statement/ ...

I read through the thread without having heard or seen this "editorial". Thanks for the link, deadhead13; now I can see what has got some people so het up. Well, no, I can't, unless people are impressed by the use of portentious language. It's a nothing piece of writing, wearing its Sunday finery.

We have posters here who can do pomposity better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I think your giving it too much credit tbh P Breathnach

It's nothing piece, neither right or left wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Back to the topic, I don't think Newstalk are a FF station. That's a ridiculous statement.

Ivan Yates - Breakfast show host and former FG TD and minister.
    Eamon Keane - Lunchtime host. his Uncle is a former FG TD.

As for the other hosts, I don't know, but they never seem to have anything good to say about the Government. To be honest, the editorial basically said what most people in the private sector was saying on here before the budget. I found nothing wrong with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Liam79 wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from deadhead? Link?

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0430/1224245682787.html

3rd last paragraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

That's a significant change from your earlier statement and one that from what I can see doesn't really hold water either. Certainly I don't listen to rte one but I don't think Pat Kenny is any friend of the public sector. I do listen to the news on one station though and they also protrayed the newry public sector story in the exact same light as the tv department.

IMO , pat kenny is the consumate proffesional and an impartial observer on almost every subject , only time ive noticed him lean towards any view was when discussing climate change a fortnight ago with the enviromental collumnist in the irish times ( gibbons i think is his name ) and some sceptic from australia , seemed like thier was some history between pk and gibbons

• Advertisement
Advertisement