Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Pub for Trad Session not in Temple bar

Options
  • 14-12-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

Where is the best pub around town for a trad session which meets the following criteria - 10 lads heading out for xmas sessions on sunday , used to go quays in temple bar but its too expensive

1) Not being ripped off for pints

2) The emphasis is more singing than just diddly eiiiiiiiiii

3) Is not full of people that may want to kills us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

You could try the Cobblestone on North King Street

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

O'Donoghues on Baggot street is a great spot for a trad session. Small enough though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Haven't listened to either but Devitts on Wexford St and the Celt on Talbot st usually have trad stuff on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

First name which came to mind was The Cobblestone in Smithfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

Monday nights in Shebeen Chic on George's Street are decent too.

• Advertisement

1968 wrote: »
    Monday nights in Shebeen Chic on George's Street are decent too.

Seriously?.

I've never been to the place, but it looks like an awful, stupid, faked assed kip from the outside.

Seriously?.

I've never been to the place, but it looks like an awful, stupid, faked assed kip from the outside.

I don't care too much for the interior but decent events are held there and I have two close friends who work behind the bar.

They run weekly trad sessions on Monday. I've only got to it once (I usually work Mondays) but it was decent. The lads from the punk trad band Lynched are regulars. It's definitely not your usual paddy diddly dee crap.

Shebeen Chic also holds the Recession Club (Ska/Punk/Rockabilly etc..) which I've been going to every month.

http://www.myspace.com/therecessionclub

Plus, the Retro Revival Club (Garage, Rock n Roll etc..) is held there monthly.

http://www.myspace.com/stompinggroundclub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Head down the quays a bit to O'Shea's the Merchants.
    http://www.dublinevents.com/dublin-hotels/osheas-merchant-hotel.php

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Monday nights at the cobblestone in smithfield friendly good young trad bands playing

1968 wrote: »
    I don't care too much for the interior but decent events are held there and I have two close friends who work behind the bar.

They run weekly trad sessions on Monday. I've only got to it once (I usually work Mondays) but it was decent. The lads from the punk trad band Lynched are regulars. It's definitely not your usual paddy diddly dee crap.

Shebeen Chic also holds the Recession Club (Ska/Punk/Rockabilly etc..) which I've been going to every month.

http://www.myspace.com/therecessionclub

Plus, the Retro Revival Club (Garage, Rock n Roll etc..) is held there monthly.

http://www.myspace.com/stompinggroundclub

Sounds like my idea of hell, sorry.

• Advertisement

Sounds like my idea of hell, sorry.

each to their own. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Sunday afternoons in Darkey Kelly's on Fishamble Street, Temple Bar. Great band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Dame Tavern. Seriously good. Get there for 6 and you won't leave to the singing stops.

Love2love wrote: »
    Sunday afternoons in Darkey Kelly's on Fishamble Street, Temple Bar. Great band

Get Anto from the band to sing 'The ballad of Joe McDonald', you won't hear it sang better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It looks like that on the inside too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

JmcNeill's on Capel street is a great shout. AFAIK there's a session on in there of a Sunday afternoon, sit yourself down beside a proper turf fire with a pint that won't cost you over a fiver. None of your green hats crap either, as a person who doesn't know anything about trad I can only assume that Barney mcKenna making a cameo appearence at the preformers table can mean this place is the real deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

BenShermin wrote: »
    JmcNeill's on Capel street is a great shout.

I was thinking of this place too and couldn't remember the name. Very small place about half-way down the street on the same side of the street as Nealons?

It was a grand little spot, if a little cramped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

On the second page and still no mention of the best pub for traditional music in all of Dublin (by a long shot):
    Hughes's
    (19 Chancery Street, Dublin 7, immediately behind the Four Courts)
    042207hughes-ext.395.jpg
    On one of my last visits there there was no less than 15 fiddle players (including the actor Brendan Gleeson) in one seisiún. There is almost always two seisiúin on every single night of the week, with the snug in the front holding the second one. Interior decor-wise the place could do with a bit of modernisation but the pint is cheap enough (c. €1.80 for stout). Not many tourists there either; the music makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Head down the quays a bit to O'Shea's the Merchants.
    http://www.dublinevents.com/dublin-hotels/osheas-merchant-hotel.php

Definitely a traditional place, but would avoid it late at night unless you like seeing 50 year olds snoggin like they're 18. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Rebelheart wrote: »
    but the pint is cheap enough (c. €1.80 for stout)

:eek:

Is the time machine optional?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

These are not in town but out in Malahide, Duffys is a traditional pub (also due to the aincient owl lad Barmen). Brendan Gleeson and his clann are out fiddling away on Thursday nights in Duffys by the fire in the Snug! Gibneys have a bit more of a modern Irish mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Thanks for all the suggestions , gonna give Dame Tavern a go as its part of lads christmas party day of carnage , and fits in nicely between TGI's on the green and Karaoke in that jap place on george st

Advertisement