Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ALDI steal your budget money

• 14-12-2009 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Montepulciano d'Abruzzo

Price before budget 4.89

price after budget 4.89

They put a sticker on the shelf to pretend that it used to be 5.49
    It never was that price.
    Complete lie.
    I have been buying this stuff for a year at 4.89
    It was always 4.89

That's illegal what they did and I am major pizsed off about it.
    Lenihan says he will take it back if not passed on.
    as it is my money they are pocketing.
    who should they be reported to ?

98951.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,477 ✭✭✭✭Victor

National Consumer Agency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

The tax change doesn't come in till January 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Still illegal to advertise a price reduction that hasn't happened though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    The tax change doesn't come in till January 1st.

That's for the vat, the duty change was at midnight last Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Yes, the sticker is wrong.

However, the stock was purchased and the duty paid at the old rate. Revenue has admitted that it is ok for retailers to sell through this stock at the old price as they will not be giving refunds.

Otherwise the retailers will take a serious hit. It has been in the news this week that one wholesaler -Gleesons, are looking at a hit of a million quid.

This is reasonable.

So, now you know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭butter13222

your still only paying 4.89 like before just get over it aldi and lidl are the best thing to come to this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

your still only paying 4.89 like before just get over it aldi and lidl are the best thing to come to this country

I agree that they are great. That's why I shop there.

Now in fairness they did drop the 60 cents on all the other wines but pulled a fast one on montepulciano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pal wrote: »

Now in fairness they did drop the 60 cents on all the other wines but pulled a fast one on montepulciano.

They must have it in for you.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Pal wrote: »

Did you ask a manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I think I paid €5.49 for a bottle a few weeks ago. I'm not 100% sure but I think it stood out due to the price breaking the €5 mark. Not a bad wine for either price though!

• Advertisement

testicle wrote: »
    Did you ask a manager?

yes

I think I paid €5.49 for a bottle a few weeks ago. I'm not 100% sure but I think it stood out due to the price breaking the €5 mark. Not a bad wine for either price though!

no you didn't.

at least not in Finglas where ot has been 4.89 for over a year

guess you missed the point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

What is the exact law on sticker prices and supposed price drops being put on stickers? I know HMV have been getting away with selling their '2 for 1 dvds' 'promotion' when in reality you're paying the full price for both dvd's. They just mark the sticker prices up to say 20 per dvd but the two together is 30. When really I've seen the same dvd's for 15 each in the previous months. Meaning it was always 30 for the two dvd's. Strange how they get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

koHd wrote: »
    What is the exact law on sticker prices and supposed price drops being put on stickers? I know HMV have been getting away with selling their '2 for 1 dvds' 'promotion' when in reality you're paying the full price for both dvd's. They just mark the sticker prices up to say 20 per dvd but the two together is 30. When really I've seen the same dvd's for 15 each in the previous months. Meaning it was always 30 for the two dvd's. Strange how they get away with it.

the law is quiet simple it's an invitation to treat its up to you the consumer to make the decision to part with your hard earned cash for the product or service and you make that decision based on what you already know ie that the were €X price a few weeks ago and now they are what they are.

if a shop started selling something that you never knew the price of before how would you be any the wiser in making your decision other than does the price warrant value for your money.

now of course there are other smaller laws based on the display price and such but the biggest is caveat emptor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

the law is quiet simple it's an invitation to treat its up to you the consumer to make the decision to part with your hard earned cash for the product or service and you make that decision based on what you already know ie that the were €X price a few weeks ago and now they are what they are.

if a shop started selling something that you never knew the price of before how would you be any the wiser in making your decision other than does the price warrant value for your money.

now of course there are other smaller laws based on the display price and such but the biggest is caveat emptor.

So in fact to entice customers in, I can display there is a sale of 50%, but simply double the original price first, then apply the deductions, bringing it back down to the original price?

Interesting.

koHd wrote: »
    So in fact to entice customers in, I can display there is a sale of 50%, but simply double the original price first, then apply the deductions, bringing it back down to the original price?

Interesting.

no sorry my mistake in not been clear enough

in the OP's instance there is not an advertisment of a previous price ie was X now Y. Its only that the OP personally was aware some of the DVD were a previous price.

there is a rule in place where by any advertised discounted product must be at the previou price for 90 days i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

there is a rule in place where by any advertised discounted product must be at the previou price for 90 days i think.

28 days I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

I guarentee Aldi have Pallets upon pallets of the stuff at their warehouse bought before the duty drop... So they will be selling it at the same price for awhile id say!!

mikemac wrote: »
    28 days I believe.

wasnt exactly too sure thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It is 28 continuous days in the previous 90 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

It's down to 4.49 now!

Its now on sale at 4.29 which is
    the price it should have been in the first place.

maybe somebody read this thread.

thanks ALDI

all ok now.

you are forgiven.

Advertisement