Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does our relationship with our father shape us?

• 14-12-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

So, how does our relationship with our father shape us?

Thought this might make for an interesting read. Don't know much about it myself.( I'm talking from a psychological perspective rather than anecdotes. )

Any interesting studies or books on the subject?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Well the Oedipus complex is the cornerstone of all psychopathology according to Freud. The father is very important in the work of Lacan, but "father" is a complex and multifaceted concept in his work:
    http://nosubject.com/Father

The use of the notion of father and Name of the Father in the constitution of the subject into the symbolic order is the most interesting aspect of his thinking. But it's just not possible to explain it in simple terms here, maybe Odysseus might give it a go, but probably not worth it.

Try reading this book:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ecrits-Selection-Jacques-Lacan/dp/0393325288

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

from a behavioural perspective, it would be mainly role-modelling.

Link to magazine article

A UK study here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

hotspur wrote: »

The use of the notion of father and Name of the Father in the constitution of the subject into the symbolic order is the most interesting aspect of his thinking. But it's just not possible to explain it in simple terms here, maybe Odysseus might give it a go, but probably not worth it.

Cheers but no thanks:D Its not that there is any mystery in Lacanian Psychoanalysis, it just that it takes so long to get a basic understanding of what he is saying. In order to explain it you have to go through the basics of Freud, then on to structural linguistics, then explaining the forms of negation and the three structures of neurosis, psychosis and perversion, as well as the difference between the three orders of the Real, the Synbolic and the imaginary. I would be here for weeks trying and failing to get it right. Though for anyone interested I would suggest Lacan for beginners by Darian Leader. I still read it every so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Thanks all for the suggestions-I now see that I entirely underestimated the complexity of the issue!!:eek:

Advertisement