Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3g and internet poker

Options
  • 14-12-2009 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

I live in what was a broadband blackspot until recently when 3g started
    offering a service,however it now constantly drops the server. 3 have told
    me that they are aware of the problem as its not isolated but didnt sound
    like they are overly worried about it. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Broadband works fine except for poker. Amacom are now offering a service
    are they worth a shot? or has anyone another suggestion?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

I use vodafone 3g and its very good. They are mostly better in towns than out in the countryside though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

OP, are you getting mixed up between the brand name "3" (a telecoms company) and "3g", which is a generic term for the latest generation of mobile communications? I think you are.

Anyway, I have the "3" mobile broadband internet service (with the toggle) in Dublin and it's ok, although not terribly fast for broadband and it does drop out a couple of times a day. But for the most part it is stable enough for poker. I play full time and I can't say I ever remember it dropping me out and I have had it about 3 months now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A use a 3g modem fo some internet. I wouldn't consider using it for poker though, Just isn't reliable enough. Plus the cap is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭digiman

If you can find out who the nearest mobile phone provider is to you then this should really influence your decision. All of them are limited by how far away you are from the mast, the closer you are the better and the less buildings/hills in the way the better also. If you need to know something like this then send me a PM and I can let you know which operater is the nearest to you.

It really should be the last option you use, wireless broadband will never work as well as fixed line broadband. A good reliable broadband connection is one of the most important things a poker player should consider. What if it disconnects on you when you are at the final table of a big tournament or you are sitting with the nuts and all you have to do is click call to win a 500bb pot and it disconnects

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

Mellor wrote: »
    A use a 3g modem fo some internet. I wouldn't consider using it for poker though, Just isn't reliable enough. Plus the cap is terrible.

I doubt you'll go over your cap playing poker, 10g is generally the minimum cap you can get.

I play poker on an o2 3g, and have a very reliable and stable connection. It's not fast, but it's perfect for poker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Tight Ted wrote: »
    I doubt you'll go over your cap playing poker, 10g is generally the minimum cap you can get.

I play poker on an o2 3g, and have a very reliable and stable connection. It's not fast, but it's perfect for poker.

I use the internet for more than just poker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Works for me. Not brilliant and iv dropped out a handful of times.

Will say usable depending on signal level.

Ogh forgot 3 have blacklisted fulltilt and have no plans to lift the blacklist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭spoofingjam

I would advise against these for internet poker and thats from experience. the one i had was on the 3 network and it would run great for weeks and then be very slow for a few days(the people in 3 told me my area had max connection speed). Fine for just browsing but if u plan on playing poker or streaming stuff i wouldn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 super/sub

Yeah, me and my housemate both use the O2 3G broadband stick for poker almost every day since we moved here 3 months ago and it works great...

That said, we live extremely close to/in town, just off Baggot St.

I don't know if the connection needs to be better for this but it works for 16 tabling with no speed or connection issues at all (thus far!)

Hope this helps, I'd definitely recommend one of these as they work all over town which is really convinient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Stay away from the Vodafone one I reckon - the prepay is no value (e5 a day) and the bill pay has a MAX 10gb Cap (2c/mb after that - so 20e a gig) with a minimum 12 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

Ogh forgot 3 have blacklisted fulltilt and have no plans to lift the blacklist.

This must have came in Sunday around 9 o clock. I was playing one of the MiniFTOPS tournaments, 3 broadband disconnected from full tilt and wouldn't reconnect. Pokerstarts and ipoker worked no problem like wtf cannot understand it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

I use 3 and Full Tilt is fine. Why would they bother blacklisting a poker site?

Advertisement