Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to convert Analogue NTSC 8mm tape for FC Pro editing

Options
  • 14-12-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi all,

As the title of the thread may imply, I have several 8mm analogue tapes from a US camcorder that I want to import and edit in Final Cut Pro.

I'm just looking for a few opinions on what's the best (external) analogue capture card that's mac-friendly and FC Pro-friendly as well.

If such a things exists, I wanna hear about it - where to get it and how much to shell out!

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

I convert video to DVD via a PC, but the principle should be the same.
    I use a Sony DCR-TRV320E, this will encode incoming signals from a VCR and also play 8mm, HI8, digital8 tapes and encode these into DV AVI which I then capture to the hardrive via Firewire.
    I have however had trouble with NTSC tapes, both VHS and 8mm type tapes, the camera will play them back via analogue but not capture and convert to Firewire.
    For that I use and old fashioned capture card in the PC, the likes of WinTV (Haupage) or similar.
    Use that to capture, it can deal with NTSC no problem. Dunno the Mac equivalent.
    Just make sure to use Huffuv as capture codec, uncompressed AVI is bloody massive.
    External USB video converters are mostly nasty pieces of (sh)kit that will capture to MPEG, this is close to useless and I wouldn't even use them for Youtube videos.
    If you don't possess a camcorder that can digitise on the fly via Firewire (costly and rare birds), try to find an external video converter that uses Firewire instead of USB, Dazzle used to do something like that, here's a link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dazzle-Multimedia-DM-2200-Hollywood-Bridge/dp/B000063WPO
    but again be careful if it is NTSC, PAL or both.
    And once you have the kit you'll pick it up no problem in 2 years you will almost know what you're doing!:D At least that's what I keep telling myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

For the rest of you out there, I also found this: http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/products/Accessories/Video-Capture/product1.en.html, an external multi-region capture card for Macs.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Dr Kamikazi

This looks to be one of those cheap and cheerful USB video converters, good for short youtube clips or for mp4 and mobile phones.
    If you want to capture video to DVD in good quality, this is not the thing to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

To be honest dramabob, you might as well do it right the first time. I've gone with composite-based solutions in the past and regretted it at a later stage. D8 cameras that support Video8\Hi8 playback over firewire are pretty common. If money is tight, buy one, use it and then sell it when you are done.

I spent wayyy too much time reseaching this, so all the work is done for you, here. It was written around PAL, but it woudnt take much to make it apply to NTSC:- http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055648658

Advertisement