Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Money from Photo's

• 14-12-2009 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all can anyone tell me were i can get paid for taking pictures i have been Burnt for money:mad: with bad internet site's that promise the earth but leave you twidlin your thumbs:confused: .
    This is a real passion of mine and i need to make some money to keep it going,any reply will be appreciated greatly.:D

Kindest regards Finnagen

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It may help people advise you if you were to post some of your images & explain which area of Photography you are involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Put them on a stock photo site and hope someone picks them up?

Organise an exhibition and hope some of the punters like them enough to purchase them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Set up your own site, find a good printer and sell them yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Become a photographer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

finnagen wrote: »
    Hi all can anyone tell me were i can get paid for taking pictures

When you find the answer, please let us know. It would be nice to make some extra money from photography.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Work nights on the canal.
    Take pictures while "working".
    Sell back to clients in exchange for not showing their loved ones.
    Profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm earning money shooting interiors for a property agent in London. I know there isn't such a need/market for it back in Ireland. I'm getting about £600 pro rata per week. I'm freelance so its not always all day everyday but enough to keep me going for my needs. I'm also considered an expense by the company so its pretty much cash in hand.
    It's not the most artistic or creative photog work but its easy and doesn't feel like a real job to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I'm getting about £600 pro rata per week
    .....enough to have fajitas for dinner..........every day !! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Find a rich benefactor, shoot one photo of them per day, and get them to pay you lots of money. Well, its good if you can find them but..... probably not :(

So the serious part -

If you've no reputation as yet which is automatically going to sell everything that you produce then every current site on the interweb is going to be a dead loss for you (don't worry - it's not you, everyone else too tbh). You gotta learn your little bit of marketing. google is your friend. start with the 4 p's of marketing. learn the theory and then decide how you are going to apply it and sell yourself. One thing I can tell you "THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO MAKE MONEY" - Hard work and grafting is what is required. Split your time between shooting photos and selling them. Make sure you don't forget the "selling them" bit. Be honest with your own capabilities too. If product is slow to sell / no one buys, then maybe the market isn't what you may think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Paulw wrote: »
    When you find the answer, please let us know. It would be nice to make some extra money from photography.

+1 for me!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

.....enough to have fajitas for dinner..........every day !! :p

I don't know now... I've got very expensive tastes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    learn the theory and then decide how you are going to apply it and sell yourself. One thing I can tell you "THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO MAKE MONEY" - Hard work and grafting is what is required.
    This is the best piece of advice out there!

First find your “area”, and then figure out how to market it.

The problem, of course, is that all the obvious categories are already being done to death by someone else. They’ve been doing it longer and they have a reputation.

Newer categories are hard to find and almost impossible to market, especially to someone stuck for cash.

It’s the classic Catch 22 of any new business. To make money you need to spend it, to spend money you need to earn it, to earn money you need to be established, to get established you need to earn.

Sorry Finnagen, there just isn’t an easy answer to your question. Photography is just as hard a business as any other. Made harder by the fact that most people own a camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

funny, I had that post down as a troll as soon as I read it

funny, I had that post down as a troll as soon as I read it
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 finnagen

Cheers:D for Reply Guys i am in South Kerry and was thinkin of maybe Doing Postcards and pictures for the American tourist Market ?

Any thoughts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Cheers:D for Reply Guys i am in South Kerry and was thinkin of maybe Doing Postcards and pictures for the American tourist Market ?

Any thoughts ;)

Having been a American tourist in Ireland, the market is flooded with postcards. The only way I can see that working is if you find a unique niche in the market. Something like an specificly Irish version of Wrong Cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 finnagen

Thanks Slid for your reply ,much appreciated and hope you have a Great time over the Festive season .:D

Kind regards Finn

Any thoughts ;)
    I'd say do some research.

Cost out how much it will take for a print run.
    Check out the competition.
    Spend many hours taking photo's, look for something different.
    Find somewhere to sell your work

Its easy! :D

K_user wrote: »

Its easy! :D

Oh yeah, very easy. I want a job like that. :D

There are two ways to make money - get lucky, or work hard. The first comes to one in a million - you find a niche, can produce a quality that others can't and you get recognised.

For the rest of us - it's a lot of hard work and plugging away to make money, and it's certainly not easy money.

Oh yeah, very easy. I want a job like that. :D
    Sure aren't we all millionaires in this photography business? :D
    There are two ways to make money - get lucky, or work hard. The first comes to one in a million - you find a niche, can produce a quality that others can't and you get recognised.

For the rest of us - it's a lot of hard work and plugging away to make money, and it's certainly not easy money.
    Exactly what I said earlier, all the obvious things are already being done by someone else. So to make any money alot of hard work and varied skills are needed just to make a loss! :D

• Advertisement

Sure aren't we all millionaires in this photography business? :D

Well, you might start out that way, but after buying all the gear you want/need, then you're just a normal rich person. :D

Exactly what I said earlier, all the obvious things are already being done by someone else. So to make any money alot of hard work and varied skills are needed just to make a loss! :D

I know it only too well. Mind you, I made a profit this year, although a very very small one. I might be able to afford a new memory card with it. :eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

As mentioned previously...it could be easier to give a bit of advice if you could show a few pics...your speciality could be photos of the inside of computers for all we know...that can happen!!

Well, you might start out that way, but after buying all the gear you want/need, then you're just a normal rich person. :D
    :D:D:D
    I know it only too well. Mind you, I made a profit this year, although a very very small one. I might be able to afford a new memory card with it. :eek:
    I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but if you made a profit then you are doing it wrong! :D

speaking of this kinda thing, how does one go about getting a reputation??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Oh its very easy to get a reputation, particularly at this time of the year and where there's drink involved!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You've already got one!! :eek: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Do a spiffing job for the local gossip.

Oh its very easy to get a reputation, particularly at this time of the year and where there's drink involved!
    ......Im not that kinda girl anymore!!! ;p
    CabanSail wrote: »
    You've already got one!! :eek: ;)
    lol.... i could rephrase...ahow does one get a a GOOD reputation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

[QUOTE=superflyninja;63527623how does one get a a GOOD reputation?[/QUOTE]

Need to hire someone like Max Clifford

• Advertisement
Advertisement