Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clash of the Titans - Discussion Thread

• 14-12-2009 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

• There are 6 Leagues
    • They won't run concurrently. There will be a total of 7 threads; one for each League and then a Discussion thread. It would be a bit of a mess if 7 threads were open at the same time, by running them one-by-one there will only be 2 threads open at a time; the League and the Discussion thread.
    • 9 Characters in each League.
    • Each Character gets 2 battles each in the league.
    • 16 Characters will go through to the knock-out stages. The Top 3 of the Superheroes, Monster/Vampire, Magical Powers [working title] and Supervillains will qualify for the last 16. The Top 2 in Humans and Robots/Cyborgs will qualify for the last 16.
    • If by the end of a League there are ties then these characters will be pitted against each other in a "Sudden Death" battle.
    • Reasons always have to be given when voting. This is not to say you have to write a compelling argument, it could be one line; as long as you give a reason the vote will stand.
    • The first to 6 votes will win the battle.
    • 3 pts will be allocated to those who are victorious in the League Battles.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

So am I still allowed to write a four-paragraph dissertation describing the conflict to back up my decisions?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Rhyme wrote: »
    So am I still allowed to write a four-paragraph dissertation describing the conflict to back up my decisions?

you are required to do so. highlight of these threads :D

I'll get my nerding cap on when I get back tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Skull vs. Goblin is such a hard fight to call. True Goblin is physically superior, but the Skull is far better tactician. Given time he could easily negate all of Goblin's advantages. However, a random encounter favors the Goblin. I shall have to ponder my vote carefully

I don't think Skull is tactically superior. Osbourne managed to wrangle himself into control of SHIELD... he's insane, but a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Plus he has a nifty haircut. Hell, he has hair. FULL STOP

and as we all know

Hair = win.

Sorry LZ. And Doom. And me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Pter wrote: »
    Plus he has a nifty haircut. Hell, he has hair. FULL STOP

and as we all know

Hair = win.

Sorry LZ. And Doom. And me

But..but...Lex Luthor has no hair and he's the President of the United States! :( :P

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    But..but...Lex Luthor has no hair and he's the President of the United States! :( :P

Spider Jerusalem.

Oi, Rhymey, when are you going to break this tournament in? You should be ashamed of leaving us hanging! :P

He has you exactly where he wants you now.....begging

• Advertisement

He has you exactly where he wants you now.....begging

Bald people don't beg my friend. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Bald people don't beg my friend. :cool:

I saw one begging for hair once.

Or was he an exception?

Jako8 wrote: »
    I saw one begging for hair once.

Or was he an exception?

LZ has no time for those types of men, with their expensive bad hair transplants, ha ha ha! :D

...break this tournament in

dirty.

I'm rolling scenarios around in my head while making a late dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hair just gives them something to clling on to in a fight.
    When the zombies come, it'll be first to go.

Are we gonna address the Loki god issue at all? Like putting a limit on the fact that he is a god?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Are we gonna address the Loki god issue at all? Like putting a limit on the fact that he is a god?
    What limits do you suggest?
    BTW technically he is a half-god, half Frost giant

Ok fair enough. I can work with that. Not 100% over familiar with him, as opposed to most of the other characters in this league.

What limits do you suggest?
    BTW technically he is a half-god, half Frost giant

He's not omniscient, he can be defeated.

Try looking here.

• Advertisement

Try looking here.

Ugh, they fairly hype the shit out of him don't they.

Working Loki out of this competition could be tricky.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Ugh, they fairly hype the shit out of him don't they.

Working Loki out of this competition could be tricky.
    Try reading descriptions of his abilities in the original myths. They is worse

Spider Man has defeated Marvel Loki. Dudes basically an underachiever. All the power, yet fails more miserably than my namesake.

Try reading descriptions of his abilities in the original myths. They is worse

Oh I know... Norse myths really drill home the idea of 'eternity'.

Spider Man has defeated Marvel Loki. Dudes basically an underachiever. All the power, yet fails more miserably than my namesake.
    Loki is more the type to defeat himself by helping his enemies beat him.
    "You cannot defeat so long as this crystal is sitting here. Hey, who moved the crystal? Oh Odin......"

Loki is more the type to defeat himself by helping his enemies beat him.
    "You cannot defeat so long as this crystal is sitting here. Hey, who moved the crystal? Oh Odin......"

Yup.

No one will figure this riddle out! Even though every single super hero team has a genius on it! Muhahahahaha!

Yup.

No one will figure this riddle out! Even though every single super hero team has a genius on it! Muhahahahaha!
    The marvel Universe is in real trouble if he ever gets his ego under control and stops stroking it in public.

The marvel Universe is in real trouble if he ever gets his libido under control and stops stroking it in public.

Fixed that for you.

I meant ego, that's why I said it.

• Advertisement

I meant ego, that's why I said it.

I made a dick joke.

never mind

/offtopic

No one else mentioned Loki's connection with the Mask...

I is nerd king! :D

Galvasean wrote: »
    No one else mentioned Loki's connection with the Mask...

I is nerd king! :D
    Hail the nerd king.

Try looking here.

Yup, was just about to go through that. I do believe that I fluffed this ever so slightly, Loki perhaps should be in the magical powers league instead of the super-villains league. However, it is what you make of it, there aren't any rules that say "Oh I can't go against Loki, he has too much power." If you can justify a Loki defeat in your head then that's good enough for me.

Also, bear in mind that each character only has two bouts each in the league, it's not as if Loki can run away with this. It also goes without saying that the last 16 will be a lot harder to progress through than the respective leagues where there are "whipping boys."

Yup, was just about to go through that. I do believe that I fluffed this ever so slightly, Loki perhaps should be in the magical powers league instead of the super-villains league. However, it is what you make of it, there aren't any rules that say "Oh I can't go against Loki, he has too much power." If you can justify a Loki defeat in your head then that's good enough for me.

Also, bear in mind that each character only has two bouts each in the league, it's not as if Loki can run away with this. It also goes without saying that the last 16 will be a lot harder to progress through than the respective leagues where there are "whipping boys."
    Yeah except for the poor bastards from the human division in the final 16. They may be a bit overmatched.

Yeah except for the poor bastards from the human division in the final 16. They may be a bit overmatched.

If there is a reason for the Human League it is that they are masters of resourcefulness. I agree, they'd have a mountain to climb, but I wouldn't completely rule them out of having a decent run in the last 16. But do they have a chance of winning? No chance.

• Advertisement

If there is a reason for the Human League it is that they are masters of resourcefulness. I agree, they'd have a mountain to climb, but I wouldn't completely rule them out of having a decent run in the last 16. But do they have a chance of winning? No chance.
    Yeah, they may come close, but they will fail in the end

Pfft, Frank Castle beat Spider-Man. Sarah Connor beat the Terminator. Ripley beat Aliens. Danny Glover beat the Predator.
    Don't underestimate da hoomies!

Humans pretty much killified Megatron in the first Transformers movie too.

I call BS on that one though.

Pfft, Frank Castle beat Spider-Man. Sarah Connor beat the Terminator. Ripley beat Aliens. Danny Glover beat the Predator.
    Don't underestimate da hoomies!
    Yeah, wasn't he falling over after his victory though

Yeah, wasn't he falling over after his victory though

That's more than can be said for the Pred. ;)

• Advertisement

That's more than can be said for the Pred. ;)
    What about his friends?

What about his friends?

Some friends. They seemed happy to be rid of him!

1. The Joker - P1 D+6 3pts
    2. Loki -P1 D+6 3pts
    3. Venom - P1 D+4 3pts
    4. Red Skull - P1 D+1 3pts
    5. Lex Luthor -
    6. The Green Goblin - P1 D-1 0pts
    7. The Lizard - P1 D-4 0pts
    8. Carnage - P1 D-6 0pts
    9. Two Face - P1 D-6 0pts

I've implemented score differences just in case we're top heavy with a load of 6pters.

Re: Luthor caring about his public image too much to pull out all the stops on the Joker....

Luthor has kept a dual life hidden even better than superman and batman. If anyone can manage to annihilate someone given his huge resources, without it getting out into the public domain, then its Luthor.

The joker is great and all and we all miss Heath, but Luthor outsmarted and outmaneauvered Darkseid, who is a god and plans things 100's of years in advance.

The Joker has Mark Hamill.

Ah who am I kidding, I've already written my entry but it's too long.

Re: Luthor caring about his public image too much to pull out all the stops on the Joker....

Luthor has kept a dual life hidden even better than superman and batman. If anyone can manage to annihilate someone given his huge resources, without it getting out into the public domain, then its Luthor.

The joker is great and all and we all miss Heath, but Luthor outsmarted and outmaneauvered Darkseid, who is a god and plans things 100's of years in advance.

Most random statement of the day. :p

Bloody Bat bloody characters. No way the Joker'd stand a seconds chance with Luthors resources and intelligence. No way at all.

1. Venom - P2 D+5 6pts
    2. The Joker - P2 D+6 4pts
    3. Loki -P1 D+6 3pts
    4. Red Skull - P1 D+1 3pts
    5. Lex Luthor - P1 D0 1pt
    6. The Green Goblin - P1 D-1 0pts
    7. The Lizard - P1 D-4 0pts
    8. Two Face - P1 D-6 0pts
    9. Carnage - P2 D-7 0pts

Bloody Bat bloody characters. No way the Joker'd stand a seconds chance with Luthors resources and intelligence. No way at all.
    Outsiders vol.2 #1-4
    Joker captures Luthor and tortures him. He caught him by actually being a criminal genius.

Hang on, doesn't Venom have Spider-Man's abilities too? I thought that was kinda the point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement