Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NEW XBox

• 14-12-2009 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

I used to be a big fan or the play station in my collage days but have not really played must since. We have a Nintendo wii but i don't use it much.

I am think of buying myself an Xbox, my brother has been telling me its pretty cool and that the game play works well over the internet.

Anyone out there got any advice on which one to purchase, and what other bits will you need along with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Xbox all the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

I have both and have to say the PS3 is way better. Everything about it is better, it has wifi etc. built in and you don't have to pay extra to play online and also I find the xbox very noisy when playing games.

The only thing that would make me buy an xbox over a PS3 is the fact that it can be flashed and you can play games for free if you want.

Also, the PS3 can play blu-ray movies and you can have the hdmi and standard cable plugged in at the same time without needing an adapter etc. etc. If I was thinking of buying one or the other I wouldn't even consider the xbox tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

You my good sir, are a fanboy!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Asking in the Xbox forum? You would suspect a biased answer. Try asking in the general games forum, or even in the playstation forum for some different views.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

The OP isn't asking for advice choosing between xbox and PS3, he asked which xbox and what accessories he should get.

Get the 120GB elite, a 12 month live sub, modern warfare 2.

Then you can proceed to shoot your brother in the face.

JoseJones wrote: »
    why?

Because

He is asking which console he should buy and you have listed all the bad points about xbox and all good points about ps3. You even said you wouldn't even consider buying an xbox if you had the choice.

I think OP is looking more for the pro's and con's on each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jungleboy

Thanks guys, now a really have no clue what to do!

dazftw wrote: »
    Because

He is asking which console he should buy and you have listed all the bad points about xbox and all good points about ps3. You even said you wouldn't even consider buying an xbox if you had the choice.

I think OP is looking more for the pro's and con's on each.

That's exactly what I told him.:rolleyes:
    EGriff wrote:
    The OP isn't asking for advice choosing between xbox and PS3, he asked which xbox and what accessories he should get.

I thought he wanted to know which to buy, PS3 or Xbox. If not, then fair enough I read the post wrong.

no hassel, its just that my brother has the xbox and said that there is always someone online to play againest, is the PSP the same?
    thanks

• Advertisement

jungleboy wrote: »
    no hassel, its just that my brother has the xbox and said that there is always someone online to play againest, is the PSP the same?
    thanks

Yea, there's always loads of people to play against.

As you can see, it's a fairly hotly debated topic. The best way to make up your mind is to try to play both and see which one you prefer. As I said, I own both and prefer the PS3 for the reasons listed above.

JoseJones wrote: »
    That's exactly what I told him.:rolleyes:

I thought he wanted to know which to buy, PS3 or Xbox. If not, then fair enough I read the post wrong.

You said flashing the xbox and downloading games is a pro? How is that a pro? Its illegal AND WILL get you banned from playing online?

Thats some pro right there! :rolleyes:

OP your brother has an xbox, my advice get an xbox and play with him. If you had said he has a ps3 and your thinking of getting an xbox id tell you to get a ps3!

Simple as that. Im not going to go listing pros & cons. Thats what google is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

thanks

The fanboy on this topic wasn't bigging up the PSP, he was talking about the PS3 - they are not the same. PS3 is a regular console, PSP is a handheld console.

If you're big into online play and like a wide variety of games then I'd vote for an xbox - Xbox Live! wipes the floor with the Playstation 3 alternative.

dazftw wrote: »
    Simple as that. Im not going to go listing pros & cons. Thats what google is for.

Now I'm no fanboy, like I said, I bought both consoles and play both but there are few pros to list with the xbox compared to the PS3. For example you can watch Sky on your xbox with Sky player and the Xbox controller is much better than the PS3's.

In fairness OP, you won't get many fair opinions on the xbox forum anyway (not trying to insult anyone), most people who post in an xbox forum are fanboys who will have no bad said against their console of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

Here are a few points that might help in a possible PS3 v XBox decision.
    • You're bro has a Xbox. It makes sense to follow him, that way you can play against/with each other online on all the games. If you get a PS3 and both of you have Fifa10/COD MW2 etc, you won't be able to play with each other. Playing online with each other will create loads more fun from your games and make the whole gaming experience better.
    • Some people suggest that although the Xbox Live does cost money (around €30-€35 a year), it does mean that you get better online experience, with not quite so many dropped games, idiots playing etc. I've not played PS3 online, so I'm not saying this is correct. But I have heard it from PS3 owners.
    • Xbox controller is far far better than the PS3 one, imho. However, I'm sure you'd get used to either with time.
    • PS3 has better graphics. I've seen Call of Duty MW2 on both, and while it is excellent on them both, there is a slight difference in the PS3's favour. It's not huge, but it is there. It isn't surprising given the PS3 came out after the XBox and has slightly newer technology. Howerver, the graphics on the XBox are still very good, and I'm playing COD MW2 the whole time on it using a decent telly and I'm delighted.
    • PS3 has inbuilt wireless card included for free. You'll pay around €70 for the Xbox one. Wireless Card from Play.com. Unless you know someone who works for Microsoft, as they'll get it for you for around €30. :D
    • PS3 has a blu-ray player built in. Differing reports on whether the new blu-ray in the new compact PS3 is as good as separate devices, but at the end of the day it'll do for most people.
    • Although the PS3 has more under the hood, it is also more expensive. Play.com has them listed as:
    • XBox elite with 120gb hdd and COD MW2. Price €260 incl free delivery.
    • PS3 Slim, 250gb hdd and Unchartered 2. Price: €351 incl free delivery.
    Overall, I'd say that while the physical PS3 box is better, if you know people using the Xbox live for online gaming, you're better going with that as you'll have more fun in the long run.

If it is just a choice between the different Xbox versions themselves then I'd say the Elite is your best bet. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

OI!

Read the f*cking charter people.

xfag vs gaystation debates are not allowed here. THere is a specific thread in the games forum set up for that.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61930471

why its no longer stickied is beyond me and i'll sort it out.

To the OP asking on the xbox forum you are going to get a bias answer if you are just asking for the pro's of the console itself without comparing it to its competitors, then fine i'm sure enough people here can help you (myself included) judging from your focus on online I would say the xbox is a very good purchase.

Otherwise I'd recommend you go to the above linked thread if you want to have a read of the pro's con's etc.

anymore vs talking (even in response to this post) will get a week's ban, you have a problem with this call take it to PM with me. I am not repeating myself on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

If ya are getting an xbox after all check out this thread..

Jasper Codes

So you know you'll get a more reliable one.. enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

I am lucky enough to have both.

They are both great machines but when it comes to gaming for me their is only one winner (xbox)

total games owned on ps3 - (uncharted Drakes fortune)
    total games owned on xbox 12+

Guys, thanks for all the help. Going to go with the XBox - looking forward getting it!

Is there anything obvious that I should know when guying, like extra cables or memory or anything like that?

• Advertisement

You'll probably want to get a hard drive, but if you're getting the elite which is probably the best one to get it comes with a hard drive. You might also want a HDMI cable to hook it up to a HDTV. Also an Xbox Live card to play online and an ethernet cable/wireless adapter to connect to the internet. Apart from that I don't think there's anything else really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Play & Charge kit is a must - otherwise you'll be eating batteries if you play often ;)

A memory card might be a good idea to copy save games from xbox to xbox, or to keep them if you ever have to return the console.

Can an external hard drive be connected to the xbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭finno

Can an external hard drive be connected to the xbox?

Yes and if you have movies on it you can watch them through your xbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

GET a wired xbox controller and you,ll never need any batterys.
    See here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906303 as far as i know the console comes with a cable to connect to sdtv or HDTV ,but if you wanna get a hdmi cable thats ok.IT reads files from any drive or usb key/ mp3 player.
    AN av remote is 9euro in dixons.IT also connects to a pc monitor if you buy a vga cable.

Advertisement