Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does server location really matter?

• 14-12-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a .com website, which is to promote a small Irish family business.
    In my google webmaster account, I have set the target audience Ireland.
    I have uploaded a sitemap and a robots.txt and have tweaked the site tags and content as much as I can, but I am not getting great results in Google.

I don't expect my site to be the best, but some of the sites which are beating me to it look like they have not been optimised for Google search at all. The one possible advantage that I can see though, is that they have .ie domains.

My questions are
    - would it be worth my while investing in a .ie domain? Would this help my search results within Ireland?
    - My site is hosted outside of Ireland. I have read that this could be an issue - is this true?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

You're asking two different things here.

Server location and having a .ie domain are two different things.

Ideally, you should be on an Irish hosting provider.

Google always tries to find the most RELEVANT content for the user and uses geography as a parameter. If you're hosted in Dubai, and on a .com website, well then it doesn't make sense for Google to be showing your results to someone like me searching from Dublin.

If your target audience is Irish people, then host on irish provider using a .ie and learn about SEO. So much info online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭RedFly

I would suggest moving to an Irish host/IP. Having a .com should not be a negative effect if you have an Irish IP and you geo target in WMT to Ireland.

However, if you only service Ireland and don't plan to expand gloablly in the future, I would make the leap now and get the .ie domain too and redirect from your .com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

Hi,

thanks for the clarification.

Twanda

Advertisement